High School - the cigarette smoking area - For Students !

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We had no designated area. We just gathered on a grass spot so we could see the school narc (known these days as a campus cop) coming. Caught him in a liquor store after school one day with a 5th & a carton under his arm. After that, he'd just tell us to go two blocks from the school grounds so he didn't have to bust us. I had a note from mom so she didn't have to keep coming down to school every time I got busted. Funny thing, I smoked Marlboro 100s, when the narc was coming everyone would have me hold their smoke. One guy handed me a Kool 100. what a shock! I almost turned inside out when I took a hit. Hated menthols!

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I quit Smoking 5 years ago! Now I can't stand the smell of em. don't care if people smoke near me but the stale smell after someone comes in from smoking? Yukio. I just say to myself. I used to smell like that. How could any non smoker stand to be near me? I smoked 1 to 2 packs of Cowboy killers a day.

Dr. Syn

Feb 15, 2011
Lakeland, Florida
I graduated in 1976, and we didn't even have to buy cigarettes. There was a fallout shelter under the auditorium, and it was packed with cases and cases of K rations. We smoked the cigs, chewed the gum and even ate the candy in them.

OP
OP
mojjax

mojjax

Silver Member
Feb 27, 2005
MAINE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My Grandmother smoked Rawleighs , they came with coupons - kind of like S&h greenstamps . She had a catalog for them , she got lots of stuff - clock radio , mixing bowls , etc . Back in the 60's .

nagant

Apr 21, 2017
iowa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Golden micromax, compadre. ML EQ 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
slightly before my time

I saved my dad's Raleigh coupons too. 7cceed34f7f15e51feb193abac8abff4--vintage-advertisements-vintage-ads.jpg And the best smoking song go's to lefty https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct..._rdtZA&usg=AFQjCNEJ0VfhoLwpLFQfUz8AMDLDdPEgxg

Last edited:

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
class of '73 .

Only teachers were allowed to smoke, but most of the teachers were cool
as long as they were not seen letting you smoke by one of the un-cool.
in other words don't back them into a corner where they had to rat on ya.

I still hated 99% of my teachers, though I was able to Become invisible when in a room with them. and still get passing grades.

and although I'm ok with teachers I know personally
through relatives & friends, I Still detest the Profession for the most part.

(Brain Molding :sadsmiley:)
Someone has to indoctrinate the young and impressionable minds of America's youth. Give em' a break you "bully".:lips:

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Billowing Teacher's Lounge - yes. Student area - no.

There was a local cafe a few yards from the HS and that was ground zero. Also the boy's and girl's rooms.

I didn't smoke until college and gave it up after a short while. More money for beer!

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I used to listen to these guys back when I first started smoking. As far as our school. No smoking on the premises. We had our spots to hide out. Getting "high" was another thing.

Rocklander

Mar 16, 2013
Rockland, Venango County, PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace350, Garrett AT Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My school's was in the boy's bathroom straight across from the office. There would be teachers abd students both smoking in there. And also like yours, the teacher's lounge was a blue cloud of smoke.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Graduated in '80. We had 'the trail' outside the parking lot, kids herded out there like cattle in between classes.
Narcs would on occasion try and bust them...I wasn't a smoker at that time...
We could rack our shotguns and rifles in our pickups cabs, bring gun stocks/parts into woodshop. I remember when they'd close school for the pheasant season opener. I drove a '57 Chevy (my first ride) and the school paper did a story on me...drove around jamming to ZEPPELIN on the 8-track, blaring through Jensen Tri-axials on the rear deck lol...

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really cannot remember any smoking in High School, but then mine was the class of 71', and I had left school by then, and was serving overseas at that time, and I remember the "C" rations had packs of 5 smokes in each one, (I swear they were leftover from Korea) and smoking didn't seem much of a threat at the time given the place and circumstance.

Muddyhandz

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2012
In da bush
Detector(s) used
Fisher's 1266X, 1270X & 1280X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You don't have to go that far back. I graduated in '91 and everyone smoked in crowds just outside the doors of the school.
Out the tech doors is where we smoked weed, hash, oil, dropped acid, ate mushrooms, gobbled handfuls of bennies....you name it! Many went out for liquid lunches too.
Funny, the class right after lunch hour is where I had the highest marks and I was usually blasted. Go figure!
Then one day 10 undercover cops burst into school wearing long black trench coats and started slamming kids against lockers, searching them.
One punk chick with purple hair got rubber-gloved down in the mech. room.
They didn't find much so they busted kids for having letter-openers and eightball key chains. The judge laughed these charges out of court and scolded my principal for wasting his time.
Unfortunately, these kids lost a year of school and never did graduate. Parents nowadays would flip if this sort of thing ever happened!
Now when I detect a school yard, I don't see one cigarette butt anywhere as you probably have go several blocks away to smoke.
Just had my three year anniversary a few days ago of quitting and don't miss it. Smoked 27 years thanks to what I picked up in high school.

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I went to De La Salle High School in New Orleans run by Christian Brothers and we had a smoking area that allowed us to smoke only in the mornings. You needed a letter from a parent saying they are allowing you to smoke at school. I remember asking my mother freshman year. I got it. I graduated in 1987 been smoking ever since.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Graduated in '84. All 4 of the high schools I went to had a designated smoking area for students. Orange county Fl., Duval county Fl. I had no problem walking around school with a pack of Marlboro's in my top pocket, not to mention the Buck knife strapped to my belt and a rifle in my back window. Same as the high school I went to in Va. and the one in Md. before I moved to Fl., all had designated smoking areas (military brat, many schools). No school police either.

I started going off on a tangent about kids, schools and society these days, but I deleted it when I remembered this isn't the politics board, lol.

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
Smokers went either to the back parking lot on school grounds (staff tured a blind eye), or the park corner across the street.

And I think your title should be corrected from "area" to era. :laughing9:

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I graduated in 73' also as Jeff of PA. I remember going to the regional Championships & State Championships for track in 70', 71' & 72' and some of the best athletics smoked then. I never have smoked but was amazed at the time they were among the "best".

But if I had to run a sub 4:40 mile or a sub 9:00 minute 2-mile now I'd rather take a bullet to the head.

Hell I'm not even sure my Chevy Colbolt could do that....? :laughing7:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The smoking areas at the high school, the back of the plane, the back of the bus. Smoking in hospital rooms so long as no one was oxygen, ashtrays on every table in restaurant. Sitting with my friends watching the first tv news that smoking was bad for health. A lot has changed in the last 50 years.

I was flipping channels and saw an old Perry Mason episode or the likes... cant remember for sure... but they were smoking in courtroom... judge and everyone. heh

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was flipping channels and saw an old Perry Mason episode or the likes... cant remember for sure... but they were smoking in courtroom... judge and everyone. heh

First time I was called for Jury Duty they showed us a Film of how Court works.
The Judge in the film was smoking a Cigar

The_Piratess

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2017
Ghost Ship
Detector(s) used
Whites Beach Hunter ID, so far...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My Grandmother smoked Rawleighs , they came with coupons - kind of like S&h greenstamps . She had a catalog for them , she got lots of stuff - clock radio , mixing bowls , etc . Back in the 60's .

Lol! :laughing7: I saw an old catalog that my Papaw had when I was little and you could even buy a coffin if you had enough stamps! :o
I'm not joking for once and it used to scare me...

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread