High School - the cigarette smoking area - For Students !

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
In the 80's Joe Cool was popular for Camels...then cartoons were banned (still have some free shirts for buying 5 packs). Then around 2000 Camel introdeced "flavored cigarettes" sold in tins, with items like Crema, Chocolate mint, rasberry (have the tins)...it only took about one year before those were outlawed "to protect the kids"!

Now kids get to snort bath salts and smoke synthetic marijuana prior to a visit to an emergency room. Ha!

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gave up the cigarettes in January of 1998.
One of the toughest things I ever had to do.
It is a very powerful addiction.

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
Basic training 1960...OK You Grunts!! Smoke um if ya got um!
Base Exchange, Upper Heyford England. Cigarettes 12-14 cents a pack, King Edward Cigars $2.50 box of 50.
A cheap bottle of gin, 90 cents. You could get better stuff for another buck.
Cigarettes were limited to 5 cartons/month so they wouldn't be sold on the Black Market. They were anyway.
Being an addict was normal back then but like many addicts few wanted to admit it was a problem.
Tobacco is a criminal enterprise providing an addictive substance that is also a killer. I watched the CEO's lie before congress that tobacco wasn't addictive.
And to think there are people serving time for a joint. Where's the real crime?

I used to feel sorry for those addicted to tobacco but now I just think they are chumps based on what's known about it.

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
After reading every response...
I need a cigarette.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hmmmm--- Now I'm a "Chump", perhaps I can use that as a cute little nickname, "Chumps". Thank you hvacker.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You don't have to go that far back. I graduated in '91 and everyone smoked in crowds just outside the doors of the school.
Out the tech doors is where we smoked weed, hash, oil, dropped acid, ate mushrooms, gobbled handfuls of bennies....you name it! Many went out for liquid lunches too.
Funny, the class right after lunch hour is where I had the highest marks and I was usually blasted. Go figure!
Then one day 10 undercover cops burst into school wearing long black trench coats and started slamming kids against lockers, searching them.
One punk chick with purple hair got rubber-gloved down in the mech. room.
They didn't find much so they busted kids for having letter-openers and eightball key chains. The judge laughed these charges out of court and scolded my principal for wasting his time.
Unfortunately, these kids lost a year of school and never did graduate. Parents nowadays would flip if this sort of thing ever happened!
Now when I detect a school yard, I don't see one cigarette butt anywhere as you probably have go several blocks away to smoke.
Just had my three year anniversary a few days ago of quitting and don't miss it. Smoked 27 years thanks to what I picked up in high school.

I thought I was reading my Bio in the second line. except it all happened in the early 70's. Never did see the Grad pin, just lived on the edge of what was little sense of reality. Thinking and reflecting today as it's my anniversary of being 32 yrs for the bottle and this summer it's 30 yrs for the tobacco. Peer pressure, addictive personality, and many memories makes for a colourful life. I'm thankful that this hobby has kept me grounded.

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Right pepperj! Lol, cept it was Jr high, never made it to high school, went straight to GED and on to work making money. High school would a cut out 3 years of making a buck. Who's got time for that..... :laughing7:

Across the street in the alley, is where everyone congregated. 8-)

https://youtu.be/AjyYvvL5irI

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Speaking of addictions, mine is hi-fructose corn syrup and glyphosate (round up). It's in almost everything I eat and is giving me 'leaky gut'. Trying my best to kick the habit.

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
A curious fact about addiction is once someone can recognize it, they can find it almost instantly in people engaged in addiction. It becomes obvious. Addiction comes in many forms but it cooks down to compulsive behavior. Drugs are obvious but what about food, religion, politics. Things that first involve but then consume people.
Addiction can be almost anything. The mark of an addict is they can be switched from one addiction to another. How to handle something that has no cure is to apply an addiction to something that's not or at least less destructive. Maybe MD'ing.

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
Speaking of addictions, mine is hi-fructose corn syrup and glyphosate (round up). It's in almost everything I eat and is giving me 'leaky gut'. Trying my best to kick the habit.

I wish you luck. Not that this applies to you but lots of people that quit alcohol are driven to sugar. Seems the body likes cheap energy. By cheap I mean it takes far less energy to metabolize. Cheap energy means alcohol or sugar can replace food. Lots suffer from malnutrition.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Right pepperj! Lol, cept it was Jr high, never made it to high school, went straight to GED and on to work making money. High school would a cut out 3 years of making a buck. Who's got time for that..... :laughing7:

Across the street in the alley, is where everyone congregated. 8-)

https://youtu.be/AjyYvvL5irI

They gave me the boot 9 days before the finals in grade 10. Went home told the folks, rule was 30 days grace then start working or get out. 29th day I went to the R&R gang and started there at 16yrs old. School of hard knocks, an GED, some collage, and university classes, and now its self interest that I apply to every subject.

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Graduated in '84. All 4 of the high schools I went to had a designated smoking area for students. Orange county Fl., Duval county Fl. I had no problem walking around school with a pack of Marlboro's in my top pocket, not to mention the Buck knife strapped to my belt and a rifle in my back window. Same as the high school I went to in Va. and the one in Md. before I moved to Fl., all had designated smoking areas (military brat, many schools). No school police either.

I started going off on a tangent about kids, schools and society these days, but I deleted it when I remembered this isn't the politics board, lol.

You just described my high school days to the letter! From the buck knives strapped to our belts to the guns in our back windows and designated smoking areas. Even the military brat thing...USAF here. 9 schools in 12 years. Most of the school changes were from PCS moves. good ole days indeed.

Last edited:
OP
OP
mojjax

mojjax

Silver Member
Feb 27, 2005
MAINE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I was in 9th grade , the kid that sat next to me in math class kept offering me a tiny pill called Microdot . I refused , I don't even know what it was . He said it made him see '' traces ''

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I was in 9th grade , the kid that sat next to me in math class kept offering me a tiny pill called Microdot . I refused , I don't even know what it was . He said it made him see '' traces ''

acid

& Trails

tumblr_m1g453qVn61qziutd.jpg

Last edited:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

There was purple, and green, microdot.
I sometimes reflect and wonder what ever happened to the Rainbow gatherings.
Attended one in the gatherings at the Cochise Stronghold back in the early eighties if I remember right. Lots of down to earth folks, and a lot of stick your tongue out and.... well it was a Rainbow gathering. :)

The_Piratess

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2017
Ghost Ship
Detector(s) used
Whites Beach Hunter ID, so far...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There was purple, and green, microdot.
I sometimes reflect and wonder what ever happened to the Rainbow gatherings.
Attended one in the gatherings at the Cochise Stronghold back in the early eighties if I remember right. Lots of down to earth folks, and a lot of stick your tongue out and.... well it was a Rainbow gathering. :)

I don't know about back then but I can tell you what happened... Look at what they've turned into today! :o On second thought, maybe it's better that you don't look ugh!

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Acid some put it in their eye.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Acid some put it in their eye.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is that where the saying comes from "Had an eye opening experience"? :>)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread