I Am a Sentinel

mdog

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2011
I started this thread at the request of some posters following Sandy 1's thread, A Guide to Vault Treasure Hunting. A very good thread with a lot of signs that I have seen myself.

In treasure hunting lore, sentinels are guardians of buried treasure usually associated with some secret society descended from the KGC. However, it seems that the title "Sentinel" has grown to include many people who have no connection with any such group. If you tell somebody to be safe in the field, you're a sentinel. If you question an interpretation of signs, you're a sentinel. If you suggest that some research is flawed, you're a sentinel who is trying to stop you from finding all the gold. Well, I guess I'm a sentinel.

I used to do volunteer work at a state park in Iowa. I did a lot of jobs that kept me moving around the park. On a few occasions, I came across somebody using a metal detector in the park. Whenever that happened, I informed the person that Iowa had strict laws about recovering artifacts in a state park. I told them that if the park ranger saw them using a metal detector, he could arrest them and, if convicted, the penalties could be severe, but I never tried to stop them and I never called the ranger. I guess that makes me a sentinel.

If any of you other sentinels would like to share your stories, feel free to post them on this thread.

Ditlihi

Banned
Aug 20, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I started this thread at the request of some posters following Sandy 1's thread, A Guide to Vault Treasure Hunting. A very good thread with a lot of signs that I have seen myself.

In treasure hunting lore, sentinels are guardians of buried treasure usually associated with some secret society descended from the KGC. However, it seems that the title "Sentinel" has grown to include many people who have no connection with any such group. If you tell somebody to be safe in the field, you're a sentinel. If you question an interpretation of signs, you're a sentinel. If you suggest that some research is flawed, you're a sentinel who is trying to stop you from finding all the gold. Well, I guess I'm a sentinel.

I used to do volunteer work at a state park in Iowa. I did a lot of jobs that kept me moving around the park. On a few occasions, I came across somebody using a metal detector in the park. Whenever that happened, I informed the person that Iowa had strict laws about recovering artifacts in a state park. I told them that if the park ranger saw them using a metal detector, he could arrest them and, if convicted, the penalties could be severe, but I never tried to stop them and I never called the ranger. I guess that makes me a sentinel.

If any of you other sentinels would like to share your stories, feel free to post them on this thread.

Hello, my name is Ditlihi, and I am a Sentinel.

I first posted on the aforementioned thread with a question for the OP, regarding a statement he had made. All I had was a simple question about the time of day. I was immediately attacked by his followers for being a naysayer and trouble maker, and branded a Sentinel. A scarlet "S" placed upon my name for merely asking a question.

From that point I've been attacked on all sides, falsely accused of all kinds of heinous crimes from being a Sentinel and attempting to prevent the spread of their message to being in employ of the Vatican. Not once did I attempt to stop them from doing anything, only questioned the veracity of some of their claims. Direct questions were met with personal attacks and vitriol....questions never answered. I guess this makes me a Sentinel.

Thank you, Mdog.

OP
OP
M

mdog

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2011

I first posted on the aforementioned thread with a question for the OP, regarding a statement he had made. All I had was a simple question about the time of day. I was immediately attacked by his followers for being a naysayer and trouble maker, and branded a Sentinel. A scarlet "S" placed upon my name for merely asking a question.

From that point I've been attacked on all sides, falsely accused of all kinds of heinous crimes from being a Sentinel and attempting to prevent the spread of their message to being in employ of the Vatican. Not once did I attempt to stop them from doing anything, only questioned the veracity of some of their claims. Direct questions were met with personal attacks and vitriol....questions never answered. I guess this makes me a Sentinel.

Thank you, Mdog.

You are very welcome

Ditlihi

Banned
Aug 20, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lol, thanks Dog, I needed that. :icon_thumright:

I was about to apologize, my attempt at humor sometimes misses it's mark. I've always been one to try to find the humor in tough situations. And this is definitely a toughie.

In all seriousness, notwithstanding the actual need for a 12 step program for us treasure seekers, I have to ask. At what point does our obsession with lost treasure cross over into delusion? I realise that we all have our methods that we use, right or wrong, that we justify to ourselves through our own research and experience, and deem successful when confirmed by " physical evidence ". What constitutes physical evidence can be objective at times, and often highly debated here on the forums.

But when our perceived success becomes immutable, without that physical evidence, and the only discussion allowed must be acquiescence, why bring it to the forum? Would you not be better served by a personal blog? There you have complete control to share your theory with whomever you want, without dissention ( and delete any questions or dissenting views that will invariably occur in such a situation ).

A forum is defined as " A meeting or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged and/or debated. ".

When I see such here on the forum, and members are attacked, personally degraded, and accused, of all things, of being a " Sentinel ".....aren't we crossing over from a mere illusion, a mistaken notion, straight to delusion, or the belief that others are conspiring and out to get them. Extreme paranoia.

The most written about of all delusions, paranoia, has been shown to follow various stages: general suspiciousness; selective perception of others; hostility; paranoid “illumination” in which all things fall into place; and, finally, paradoxical delusions of influence and persecution. Delusions often totally preoccupy people and cause them considerable distress because they do not doubt their beliefs are correct.*

I see every single one of these exhibited on the aforementioned thread. And it's not the only one, I see it happening frequently on others as well, though not in such degree and with such viciousness and vitriol.

When and how does our treasure hunting go from an Avocation to complete and utter Delusion? And how do we prevent it? Are we all susceptible and at risk in our obsession?

Sentinels.

Sorry, but I won't drink the koolaid just to post on a thread. I wish everyone all the luck in the world, but I have to draw the line somewhere.

Best Wishes and Happy Hunting. Take care, Y'all.

* https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/sideways-view/201506/the-psychology-delusions

OP
OP
M

mdog

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2011
Iam a Sentinel. Iam the Owl, I watch over the caches, I can show you the way. They trust me with the knowledge. View attachment 1469721 But there will be a price.

The owl as a sentinel. That's good, Dog. It makes sense. An owl can spin it's head almost all the way around so all directions would be covered. Cool.

I consider DTTH one of my friends that I have never met. He always helps people, he shares information in a courteous manner and I've never seen him use a cross word. He's a real gentleman and we could all do well to follow the example he gives.

The_Piratess

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2017
Ghost Ship
Detector(s) used
Whites Beach Hunter ID, so far...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not a Sentinel, but try being a Harbinger that's way worse! :o

OP
OP
M

mdog

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2011
Lol, thanks Dog, I needed that. :icon_thumright:

I was about to apologize, my attempt at humor sometimes misses it's mark. I've always been one to try to find the humor in tough situations. And this is definitely a toughie.

In all seriousness, notwithstanding the actual need for a 12 step program for us treasure seekers, I have to ask. At what point does our obsession with lost treasure cross over into delusion? I realise that we all have our methods that we use, right or wrong, that we justify to ourselves through our own research and experience, and deem successful when confirmed by " physical evidence ". What constitutes physical evidence can be objective at times, and often highly debated here on the forums.

But when our perceived success becomes immutable, without that physical evidence, and the only discussion allowed must be acquiescence, why bring it to the forum? Would you not be better served by a personal blog? There you have complete control to share your theory with whomever you want, without dissention ( and delete any questions or dissenting views that will invariably occur in such a situation ).

A forum is defined as " A meeting or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged and/or debated. ".

When I see such here on the forum, and members are attacked, personally degraded, and accused, of all things, of being a " Sentinel ".....aren't we crossing over from a mere illusion, a mistaken notion, straight to delusion, or the belief that others are conspiring and out to get them. Extreme paranoia.

The most written about of all delusions, paranoia, has been shown to follow various stages: general suspiciousness; selective perception of others; hostility; paranoid “illumination” in which all things fall into place; and, finally, paradoxical delusions of influence and persecution. Delusions often totally preoccupy people and cause them considerable distress because they do not doubt their beliefs are correct.*

I see every single one of these exhibited on the aforementioned thread. And it's not the only one, I see it happening frequently on others as well, though not in such degree and with such viciousness and vitriol.

When and how does our treasure hunting go from an Avocation to complete and utter Delusion? And how do we prevent it? Are we all susceptible and at risk in our obsession?

Sentinels.

Sorry, but I won't drink the koolaid just to post on a thread. I wish everyone all the luck in the world, but I have to draw the line somewhere.

Best Wishes and Happy Hunting. Take care, Y'all.

* https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/sideways-view/201506/the-psychology-delusions

Good post, Dit.

When I first came to Tnet, I posted under a different name. I came here for the same reason that many others do. I was looking for information about some strange carvings I had found while out hiking. I posted some pictures and some of the members helped me out, as best they could, and I felt great. Man, some real treasure hunters are actually looking at my pictures and they think I might be on to something. I was on top of the world. One of the most active posters didn't like the questions I was asking and he accused me of collecting information for some group with sinister intentions. This was from some guy who had given information, of his own free will, and then told people to ask questions. I guess he wanted to control the line of questioning. I was green and his accusation crushed me. I immediately deleted my Tnet account and deleted or trashed all the pictures I had gathered.

It seems to me that his information had become his treasure. Something to be guarded and made public when and how he saw fit. If you went outside the box in your line of questioning, you were a threat to be dealt with. I don't know why he even posted because he sure didn't seem to be having fun.

I guess we could all show a little more patience and courtesy when exchanging information. Not many of us will find Spanish treasure but we can make lifelong friends talking about it.

The_Piratess

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2017
Ghost Ship
Detector(s) used
Whites Beach Hunter ID, so far...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

From that point I've been attacked on all sides, falsely accused of all kinds of heinous crimes from being a Sentinel and attempting to prevent the spread of their message to being in employ of the Vatican.
Not once did I attempt to stop them from doing anything, only questioned the veracity of some of their claims. Direct questions were met with personal attacks and vitriol....questions never answered. I guess this makes me a Sentinel.

Thank you, Mdog.

Please tell me you aren't serious. ???

OP
OP
M

mdog

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2011

If you think the accusations against Ditlihi are unbelievable, you might be surprised to know that there are a few Tnet posters who will accuse you of being a devil worshipper if they don't like the subject matter of your treasure marks and signs threads. I've seen this happen a couple times in the past few years.

Ditlihi

Banned
Aug 20, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh yeah. Been on the receiving end there as well, lol.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Unbelievable, isn't it? Sad, but true.

Huh. I missed that. Not sure I even read any posts on the thread. Must be a reason ,besides no interest in entering a vault. ( Should such be required,so too would be a victim...err ,volunteer.)

A broad cross section of posters with a T.H. site.
Some are ..... While others make any potential disappointment well worth it.

Tell ya what ...one poster here spent many winter nights sharing information about areas and subjects of great interest near enough that a new perspective struck me.
Light shown on facts and documentation that left me dizzy.

Why was that info shared???
I can say it was not for selfish reasons, but genuine interest and free sourcing with sincerity without compromising intent.

It is disheartening when someone takes a different approach ....and there is nothing wrong with being taciturn on some personal projects but one member here left me an attitude that puts all the negative approach to TH. ng separate. Not focused on or accepted within the network of those seeking more than just a " score".

Not exposed on my sleeve but always in the quiet nearby is that members quite determined attitude that learning about interests and related findings and helping others who are sincere about more than $$$ alone is a dimension worth being in.
Those who miss that are simply water off a ducks back.

I know of a sentinel. Not what was expected in one, as far as the romantic/ near fictional image. But pretty good at not allowing vultures to poop on a site.

Last edited:

sdcfia

Silver Member
Sep 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
You might say that I was born a sentinel, ie, one on the watch. Looking back, my life's story has been unlikely even by my own standards, but one underlying theme has always guided me: get to the truth of things - not the crowd controlling book answers, but the under-the-hood truth, if possible.

My formal training was in solving problems. It's come in handy. My life experiences have taught me a lot about human nature. That's been even handier.

One phase of my life was a consuming involvement in treasure hunting. As with most things, it was a surprise that I didn't ask for, but it led to the most fun I've ever had with my clothes on. As a sentinel in the realm of treasure hunting - as well in all aspects of life - any responsibility I've felt to others has always been clear to me. I offer the same advice to seekers of all things: understand what you believe and why you believe it. The demands I've set for myself have been stringent. Your requirements will vary.

You can review some or all of my previous posts on this forum. In many cases, folks have told me that I've provided helpful, factual advice. You'll find thoughtful alternative treasure-related theories that I've offered as food for thought too. You'll also find instances where I've posted contrarian views on popular dogma, or challenged unsupported claims being passed off as undeniable truth. When challenging others' wild claims, I've been accused of being a paid shill, a government mole, a secret society propagandist, a Vatican agent, a satanist and other colorful characters. Some of those jobs sound like fun, but I must confess a weakness here: I kind of enjoy gigging those kinds of posters just to see how delusional they can get. Well, rest assured, readers - when you're sneaking around in the hills, you won't have to worry about me watching you through a rifle scope. Trust me ... heh, heh, heh ...

Ditlihi

Banned
Aug 20, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, I must confess as well to having a little fun with them.....that is up until I finally realized, these people are Dead Serious! The depth of their delusion astonished me. It's almost frightening, I got flashes of Charlie Manson and his followers. Am I next on their hit list?

And so true, RC, it's always a pleasure indeed when you run across someone like that. I've made some lifelong friendships here on Tnet, people just like you describe. The magic is that we can all agree, or agree to disagree, and still help each other regardless. That's what it's all about, to me, and why I come to the forum. If all I wanted was validation and a following, I'd start a blog, plain and simple.

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Yep, I must confess as well to having a little fun with them.....that is up until I finally realized, these people are Dead Serious! The depth of their delusion astonished me. It's almost frightening, I got flashes of Charlie Manson and his followers. Am I next on their hit list?

And so true, RC, it's always a pleasure indeed when you run across someone like that. I've made some lifelong friendships here on Tnet, people just like you describe. The magic is that we can all agree, or agree to disagree, and still help each other regardless. That's what it's all about, to me, and why I come to the forum. If all I wanted was validation and a following, I'd start a blog, plain and simple.

You like using words such as "Delusion" - by doing so you accuse people of having a mental disorder - and you are confused that people should be upset?

I assure you, if the mods evenly distributed discipline for insults, you would likely be banned ... I've been banned for using the same word in the open forum to describe a certain member who harassed me on the forum and sent some exceptionally explicit PMs because they did not like my conservative views.

You equate the opinions --- strongly held though they are --- with the likes of Charles Manson and his followers, but still have no inkling of why people find your speech offensive?

Perhaps your feelings are more related to your personal habits? If you "self medicate" on a regular basis you may want to consider taking a break for a while because stuff like that can cause paranoia such as that expressed in the first paragraph of your comment. I remember some of the guys I performed with back in the 1970's had similar issues.

Be well.

Ditlihi

Banned
Aug 20, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I find your opinions just stated offensive. But you're free to have them and express them. Good on ya. Does that make you a Sentinel? No, just another opinion.

Feel better soon.

Dit

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting

One needs to look at the whole body of Ditlihi's comments, not just this thread.

Both here and in the KGC forum, insults towards other members. The problem is the other members don't understand that she should be allowed to discredit everything they say, but they are not to respond to her in any manner other than apologetically.

Some members here don't understand that it is okay for Ditlihi and Sdcfia to insult, call into question into question both one's intelligence and motives, or otherwise insult.

These same members also do not understand that it is wrong for them to respond in kind to these individuals.

We must learn to accept whatever insults and accusations, regardless of their actual veracity, as being gospel ... spoken through some "all knowing divine being".

Sorry, their self righteous attitude doesn't wash with me.

If something doesn't work, why not explain why it is incorrect WITHOUT being condescending? What good is it to say, "That's Wrong!!!", if you can't or won't explain WHY?

Better yet, if someone offers an explanation you don't agree with, why not ask WHY they believe that is the way it works? YOU might see things through a different lens than previously ... and might learn something from these great unwashed masses.

I guess it's just so much easier to insult and degrade other members.

EDIT: When posted realized that I had misspelled a word. Fixed. was > wash

Last edited:

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I find your opinions just stated offensive. But you're free to have them and express them. Good on ya. Does that make you a Sentinel? No, just another opinion.

Feel better soon.

Dit

Well, they were meant to show you how your insults affect others. Yes, I am free to express them.

A sentinel? Perhaps, but not one hoping to obfuscate the facts. A sentinel for fairness? Always.

EDIT:

... and I've spent lots of time in the time out room at Tnet. I've learned it's often okay to be the instigator on Tnet, it's just not okay to be caught returning the volley. So we'll see how this one works out.

Last edited:

Ditlihi

Banned
Aug 20, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If stating the truth is an insult, then I'm guilty as charged. And thank you, for suggesting others read my posts. I felt it a little vain to ask them myself.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread