jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Even if you live elsewhere in North America, a portion of the sun will partially disappear near midday. In northeastern and central Pennsylvania, about 70 to 80 percent of the sun will be obscured, with the peak occurring around 2:30 p.m.
it is being called the “Great American Eclipse.” And you can mark it on your calendar, down to the millisecond. It’s been 99 years since a total solar eclipse crossed the country from the Pacific to the Atlantic. The total solar eclipse on June 8, 1918, crossed from Washington to Florida.

Harrisburg telegraph. (Harrisburg, Pa.), 08 June 1918.
111.jpg
Evening public ledger. (Philadelphia [Pa.]), 08 June 1918.
2222.jpg

The Scranton tribune. (Scranton, Pa.), 02 May 1900.
aaaa.jpg
The Scranton tribune. (Scranton, Pa.) 1891-1910, May 02, 1900, Morning, Page 9, Image 9 « Chronicling America « Library of Congress

The Scranton tribune. (Scranton, Pa.), 01 Feb. 1897

bbb.jpg

The Scranton tribune. (Scranton, Pa.) 1891-1910, February 01, 1897, Page 2, Image 2 « Chronicling America « Library of Congress

During the celestial event, the moon will pass between the sun and the Earth, appearing to block the sun for almost an hour and a half. You can replicate an eclipse by holding a flashlight and waving your hand slowly across it.
When the moon blocks the sun, it will cast two types of shadows. The umbral is the small shadow cast on Earth where people will be able to see a total eclipse. Others will experience the penumbral shadow, where they will experience a partial eclipse.
Salem, Oregon, will be one of the first towns to see the total eclipse, while Charleston will be one of the last.

Kansas City, Nashville and St. Louis are some of the cities that will have a good chance of seeing the sun totally covered.
Space enthusiasts are already starting to get excited about the eclipse and some are counting down the days.
For more information about eclipses and to see an interactive Google map of the path of this eclipse, check out NASA’s website here.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Jeff, yer gonna "freak out the natives", you know... (with much chanting, mumbling, grumbling, in the background); & I thought Summer Solstice was bad... :laughing7:

Last edited:

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Now, the seas are gonna rise; there goes a Beach Bums SIMPLE "house", wife & I were gonna do in the Outa Banks, NC; dang Iceberg the size of Delaware breaking off at the South Pole... YEP! You did that, too!

Last edited:

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I really hope its visible where I live.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really hope its visible where I live.
No such luck for me down here in Fl.. The Solar Eclipse will darken skies all the way from Oregon to South Carolina, along a stretch of land about 70 miles (113 kilometers) wide. People who descend upon this "path of totality" for the big event are in for an unforgettable experience.

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
[h=1]Run on safety glasses ahead of eclipse prompts warning[/h]

WILKES-BARRE — As the total solar eclipse approaches, demand for safe viewing glasses has spiked and experts are warning the public to be wary of dangerous knockoffs.

Glasses that are safe for directly viewing the sun must meet the International Organization for Standardization’s standard, and will indicate they are ISO 12312-2 compliant. But recently the American Astronomical Society issued a warning indicating such a label is no longer adequate to verify glasses’ safety, citing “alarming reports of potentially unsafe eclipse viewers flooding the market.”
“It now appears that some companies are printing the ISO logo and certification label on fake eclipse glasses and handheld solar viewers made with materials that do not block enough of the sun’s ultraviolet, visible, and infrared radiation to make them truly safe,” the organization warned. “Some sellers are even displaying fake test results on their websites to support their bogus claim of compliance with the ISO safety standard.”

Run on safety glasses ahead of eclipse prompts warning - News - Citizens' Voice

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the average pay for an Ophthalmologist is $204,146.00 annually. or $110.00/hr.
I predict there will be allot of Ophthalmologis's increasing that salary after today.

I expect allot of Kids in the big cities will Dare each other to look

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Run on safety glasses ahead of eclipse prompts warning

WILKES-BARRE — As the total solar eclipse approaches, demand for safe viewing glasses has spiked and experts are warning the public to be wary of dangerous knockoffs.

Glasses that are safe for directly viewing the sun must meet the International Organization for Standardization’s standard, and will indicate they are ISO 12312-2 compliant. But recently the American Astronomical Society issued a warning indicating such a label is no longer adequate to verify glasses’ safety, citing “alarming reports of potentially unsafe eclipse viewers flooding the market.”
“It now appears that some companies are printing the ISO logo and certification label on fake eclipse glasses and handheld solar viewers made with materials that do not block enough of the sun’s ultraviolet, visible, and infrared radiation to make them truly safe,” the organization warned. “Some sellers are even displaying fake test results on their websites to support their bogus claim of compliance with the ISO safety standard.”

Run on safety glasses ahead of eclipse prompts warning - News - Citizens' Voice
MANY used pair of "Special Sun Glasses" now for sell, at yer local GOOD WILL Store; get 'em while they last!

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My neighbor was looking for his welding hood.
Turns out that one of his employees took it home so he and his kids could take turns looking at the eclipse.

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I saw the Eclipse on tv & here on Tnet

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
We saw it. Totality was incredible and we saw shadow snakes darting across the deck.

IMG_9746.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Health professionals report cases where people put sunscreen on their eyeballs to watch eclipse

A health professional in California reported cases where eclipse-viewers sought medical treatment because they put sunscreen on their eyeballs to view last week’s solar eclipse.

they will Spray Sunscreen Directly in their eyes .
But don't light a Cigarette in the same city as them.

NOT Fake News

Health professionals report cases where people put sunscreen on their eyeballs to watch eclipse | Fox News

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions