Im Rich, Im Rich!!!!

RevJoel

Mar 1, 2006
Central SC
Detector(s) used
Old Garrett Deep Seeker
I'm Rich, I'm Rich!!!!

Just received the following email!!!

Imagine 30% of 14.7 LARGE! I can retire, and travel and have fun!!!

Dear Sir/madam,

I am a staff of one of the leading banks in South Africa I am writing
asking for your indulgence in re-profiling funds, which we want to keep
under your supervision.

The Funds totaling ($14,700,000) I am only
contacting you as a foreigner because this fund cannot be approved to a
local Bank here in South Africa, because the funds are in US Dollars and
the owner of this account is Mr. Morris Thompson from America, and he died
since 2000 in an air crash along with his wife & Daughter on 31/01/2000 in
an Alaska Airlines Flight 261 with other passengers on board.

You can confirm from this

websitehttp://www.cnn.com/2000/US/02/01/alaska.airlines.list/

Please, I am proposing 30% for you for your assistance while my colleagues
and I receive 60% and 10% earmarked for purposes of taxation in your
country and mine. Please if you are interested kindly forward to me the
following information’s stated below:

(1) Your direct telephone number
(2) Your direct fax number
(3) Your Full Names
(4) Your age
(5) Your Country of Origin
(6) Your Residential Address

All that is require from you is your honest cooperation to enable us see
this transaction through. I guarantee that this will be executed under
legitimate arrangement that will protect you from any breach of the law.

Your reply should indicate your willingness in assisting us. And I will
send you all the detailed infomations and documents that you will need to
process an application for the claims of the funds.

I look forward towards a good business relationship with you.

Regards.

Mr. Thato Williams

Anyone want to have fun baiting the mugu?

Dimeman

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
Houston,TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Fisher F5
Re: I'm Rich, I'm Rich!!!!

I have gotten a few of these kind of emails.

What I do is email them in return and tell them just make out a check for the amount of 10% of the total to ( my name ) and you can keep the rest. When you email me in return with a notice that you have the check made out, I will send you my mailing address, so you can send the check to me..

ScrewcapRoy

Jun 14, 2007
Weymouth Mass
Detector(s) used
Whites M6

Thanks for sharing. It is amazing how many people DO respond to things like this and give up their valuable information. I smell a skunk. Let's burry this one well below MD range.
HH Roy

OP
OP
RevJoel

RevJoel

Mar 1, 2006
Central SC
Detector(s) used
Old Garrett Deep Seeker

I keep saved, a single sheet with the numbers "419" at an 18 pitch in bright red running from top to bottom and margin to margin. Example:

I scan this in and email it back to the bozos.

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat

Some people like to make these scammers jump through hoops, its pretty funny. One guys got a couple of the south african scammers to do Monte Python's "dead parrot sketch" and send him the video, anything for entertainment, I guess. :)

spez401

Jul 13, 2006
Coventry, RI
Detector(s) used
Excal

I had one of these scams come across my desk about 2 months ago. I opened my mail and saw a check for 38K (and a little change). the check looked real. I called up the bank (in upstate New York) and asked them if the account number was valid - it was. Then I asked if there was enough to cover the 38K check - again there was.

So,.. I did a quick internet search on the company, and got their information online. I called up and asked to speak to their billing dept, or manager. I got the owner's wife. I explained that I was an attorney in RI, and that I received a check from their company in excess of $38,000. she said "that's impossible. I write all the checks and I have never written one that large".

I ended up faxing a copy of the check to them, and they said that it was one of their "older" checks. So... someone got a hold of one of their checks, had new ones made up with VALID account information and was pawning them off as real.

steve

BioProfessor

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2007
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-Trac, White E-Series DFX

There is a 419 site http://www.419eater.com that has lots of stories about the things this group got the scammers to do. One even got them to carve little computers out of wood. It is a good site to visit for a real good laugh.

A word of caution though. You can get caught in a legal trap sometimes if you try to mess with them. You will do something that causes you to assume some liability to pay and it is enforceable in the US. You have to really know the law and what you can or cannot do or say to stay out of trouble. Unless you know exactly what you can do, just trash the message. Read the 419 Scam site, they have a good section on this.

The newer scam letters have a twist. They say they are wanting to use their money to help people and want you to be the person handling the money. They may say they will keep 50%, you get 40%, and you have to donate 10% to the charities they select. Sounds good but let's say it is $1,000,000 they are talking about. If you agree to help and state you will do this in an email, if they have structured the scam correct and you say the right things in your email, you become legally liable to donate $100,000 to the charity of their choice. Guess who owns this charity? They do. You have just agreed and are now legally obligated to pay them $100,000. It is enforceable in the US and they will come after you for their money. Our legal system has some quirks and they have evidently found a crack. It's just not worth the risk.

Have your fun MD and don't get suckered in this new type scam.

Daryl

eagle77

Jan 23, 2007
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2, 3300, XTerra 70

A word of caution...IF you do fall for this trap, be prepared to spend time in prison or be in financial ruin.

They give you a bogus check to cash and you can keep a percentage. The check is forged (as stated by Spez).
Now when you cash the bogus check, you in fact are presenting the check to the bank (not the scammers). As it gets more complex, since you cashed the check you become responsible for the amount and could face prison.

We had a guy do just this, his downfall was the 1st bank told him it was bogus and they would not honor it. He then went to another bank and cashed it. He is now in prison.

The easiest way to put it, if it sounds too good to be true...it's most likely illegal and your going to end up on the short end.

BLACKFOOT

Jan 17, 2007
Heavener oklahoma
Detector(s) used
fisher gold bug2

I wonder if I used my ( drop out of sight I.Ds and addresses ) I could scam them. They would be going after a fictious person that does not really exist

BioProfessor

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2007
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-Trac, White E-Series DFX

You leave an electronic trail no matter what you do. IPs are getting easier to trace and hiding is harder since 9/11. We don't hear much about it but the government does.

It's tempting to want to mess with them but the risks now are pretty high. They have gotten more sophisticated in their scams and have figured out more loopholes in our laws.

I tried it for awhile but got scared off by the possibility that I could be liable for some promised donation to them.

My advice - Delete, Delete, Delete.

Daryl

Rob66

Bronze Member
Jun 30, 2006
California
Detector(s) used
Whites new coinmaster-Teso Silver Max-Minelab GT

had at lease three of those.listed an item for sale on gragslist and had a response like that too

sample:
"I am intrested in buying your fishing stuff...however I live in England and have a friend that owes me money where you are.He can issue you a check for $3.000 if you can cash it, keep what is yours+ an extra hundred dollars and send me the rest. "

Now... how stupid do you really think we are????

ClonedSIM

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2005
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's XLT

I like to respond to their questions with gibberish, and then throw in a few numbers and symbols to keep them guessing.

Funny thing is, one time, I got a response back addressed to Mr. Nehoso4trem Blat@Kula asking for more information. :)

coin finder

Jan 5, 2007
Detector(s) used
Beach Hunter ID 300

so did you get the (so call MONEY) ? HA HA Ha HA HA .... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Wildfirefighter72

Jan 14, 2007
Colorado

It is a sad deal on what these scammers are doing. I did a check on the name of the person in their email who died in the crash and low and behold, it is a fact that a man by that name was on that flight and died in the crash with his family. All I can say is people like that will get theirs in the end!

http://archives.cnn.com/2000/US/02/01/alaska.airlines.list/

Morris Thompson, 61, of Fairbanks, Alaska. He was one of the state's most prominent Native and business leaders and had been in Mexico for a vacation with his wife, Thelma Thompson, and daughter Sheryl Thompson.

Thompson retired last month as president and chief executive officer of Doyon Ltd., a Native corporation formed in 1971 as part of the Alaska Native Claims Settlement Act. The corporation has 12.5 million acres of land, making it the largest private landowner in the United States.

When Thompson took over Doyon in 1985, it had an operating loss of $28 million. When he retired, it was generating $70.9 million in annual revenues, had 900 employees and 14,000 stockholders.

Thompson was a special assistant to the Secretary of the Interior during the Nixon years. He was only 34 when he was appointed Commissioner of the Bureau of Indian Affairs. He also was a Cabinet-level officer in Alaska Gov. Walter Hickel's first administration.

strike it rich

Jun 19, 2007
Detector(s) used
Treasure baron with Goldtrax

RevJoel said:
Just received the following email!!!

Imagine 30% of 14.7 LARGE! I can retire, and travel and have fun!!!

Dear Sir/madam,

I am a staff of one of the leading banks in South Africa I am writing
asking for your indulgence in re-profiling funds, which we want to keep
under your supervision.

The Funds totaling ($14,700,000) I am only
contacting you as a foreigner because this fund cannot be approved to a
local Bank here in South Africa, because the funds are in US Dollars and
the owner of this account is Mr. Morris Thompson from America, and he died
since 2000 in an air crash along with his wife & Daughter on 31/01/2000 in
an Alaska Airlines Flight 261 with other passengers on board.

You can confirm from this

websitehttp://www.cnn.com/2000/US/02/01/alaska.airlines.list/

Please, I am proposing 30% for you for your assistance while my colleagues
and I receive 60% and 10% earmarked for purposes of taxation in your
country and mine. Please if you are interested kindly forward to me the
following information’s stated below:

(1) Your direct telephone number
(2) Your direct fax number
(3) Your Full Names
(4) Your age
(5) Your Country of Origin
(6) Your Residential Address

All that is require from you is your honest cooperation to enable us see
this transaction through. I guarantee that this will be executed under
legitimate arrangement that will protect you from any breach of the law.

Your reply should indicate your willingness in assisting us. And I will
send you all the detailed infomations and documents that you will need to
process an application for the claims of the funds.

I look forward towards a good business relationship with you.

Regards.

Mr. Thato Williams

Anyone want to have fun baiting the mugu?
if your not taking this fine offer do you ming if I do

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread