Do you think we 'in America' live in Violent times.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well its seems when I was growing up Homicide rates in the US were way higher than they are now , with a few exceptions, heck Chicago is just Matching the numbers murdered that they averaged in the early 1990's.

The 1960's & 1970's were much more violent than they are now Especially in New York City or the Los-Angels Area.?

Why ?
I don't think its 'Gun Laws' as Chicago & IL have some of the Toughest laws , like NYC or CA.

Maybe nobody Run's Chicago ? as Killing is Bad for Illegal Business.

I just don't know, :dontknow:

Your Opinions are welcome.
Davers

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
If it relates to gun laws , it is from criminals having guns and un armed law abiding citizens being prey.

In the sixties ,at least where I ran we kids had access to guns and many owned guns.
Thing was ,it was a no no to even consider pointing one at some one for any reason beyond life threatening reason.( b.b. gun battles aside).
We got our butts whipped fair and square and did not return and shoot up a house or some ones friends or relatives.

Between gangs and media ,using a gun became a predatory practice against other humans for reasons far outside of warfare or self defence.
Blaming the guns and disarming the law abiding has only created greater vulnerability.

Breaking the abuse must start with youth not being conditioned to abusing other people by using a firearm as an acceptable practice. Then enforcing current unenforced gun laws among the criminal sector.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wha da ya expect????? You turn on the TV or go to the movies and everyone is carrying a gun or two and it's being portrayed as glamorous. Running gunfights with DBs laying everywhere and the closing shot equals someone walking into the sunset with one of those autos that has a 250 round clip. They see a guy get shot in the chest two or three times & he's walking around with a gauze pad just like nothing happened a day later. They see a huge gunfight complete with explosions in L.A. and no cops show up!?!? (Anyone who's lived in L.A. knows this is complete unadulterated fantasy.) Then 99% of the video games are shoot em ups, TV & movies are 75% the same. The kids now days don't think! They don't think as soon as they drop the hammer, it's done! In our day a DB was found in the park. Ok there's something else more interesting to read, like the guy that found 20 gold coins at the beach. Now a junkie gets shot in a drug deal gone bad & that's ALL you see on the news for 3 days!

With all this conditioning it's no wonder! Nope no one learns anymore that the real hero is the guy that can stand there and de-escalate a situation without violence. Or the guy that can put someone on the ground without firing a shot. With all the negative conditioning why would you expect anything different.

(Putting down the mic & hopping down off the soap box) Hey! anyone found something cool today? Wanna go watch this old house & see if we can learn something useful today?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will leave thread for now and monitor it but please be careful, if it turns political it will have to be closed. This is the type of thread that performs better in our politics forum.

Backwoodsbob

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was wondering when you would come in TH. We grew up watching Cowboys and Indians battle it out. Then the G-men shooting it up with gangsters. Still we didn't go out and kill someone. Family values were stronger back then. As kids we settled our differences with our fist. As far as the big cities are concerned most of those are related to the drugs. Same as it was during prohibition. Younger People don't know how to cope with stress these days.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
... my 2 cents worth though:

Violence is a symptom. Lawlessness --- in all spheres of society including the political and religious realms --- has given rise to a society that has no respect for the word of law. Period.

True, some individuals who use their powers of reason still maintain a respect for good behavior, fairness, and the law.

Unfortunately, today the vast majority of people have no respect for the institutions or the law, let alone anyone who might get in the way of their "good time".

Thus the violence.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
In the crowed cities... MORE violence; country-side is getting bad with ROAD RAGE; it's a Urban vs Rural "thing". High heat, humidity, & STRESS... DOES NOT "help".

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In the great scheme of history, many other time periods were more violent. One of the most violent punishment I ever read about was performed by an American Indian tribe. Public executions used to be drawn out and bloody to keep the crowd happy. How about the Roman coliseum? An arrow wound a 1,000 years ago would often be more fatal than a similar bullet wound today thanks to incredible medical technology. It's all relative.

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There was a gangster who ruled Chicago with an iron fist. Anyone who dared to encroach on his illegal activities was shot. Lots of innocent bystanders were also killed, including women and children. That guy's name was Al Capone. The feds declared war and peace was restored.
Why isn't the same approach being applied today?

13dolphins1

Gold Member
Jul 6, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There was a gangster who ruled Chicago with an iron fist. Anyone who dared to encroach on his illegal activities was shot. Lots of innocent bystanders were also killed, including women and children. That guy's name was Al Capone. The feds declared war and peace was restored.
Why isn't the same approach being applied today?
I want to answer this but best not....we probably all know the answer anyways.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

Snap on Man

Apr 15, 2012
Tupelo, Ms
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5- Teknetics T 2 Classic w NEL Sharpshooter coil - Whites TRX pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When we were kids we had parents that gave us that look! These kids today no longer have parents. I drive a school bus now and l can tell the students who have parents in the house.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Has anyone else noticed that school shootings have basically stopped since trump was elected?
YES! But you have to look a little deeper. Look past the politics! Look at what was happening at the time. It's like watching a magician diverting your attention so he can palm the coin. ALWAYS look deeper when you see something big on the news. Think Ok this is happening, 1 Why? 2 What don't they want me to pay attention to. If you look at all these things this way, you'll see a pattern of diversion & misdirection. And it's darned scary!

I'm probably going to pi$$ some people off with this but. You're all supposed to be treasure hunters. You all are good at researching, looking for facts & truths, looking past the fluff. Why the heck aren't you applying these talents to the news and the world around you!?!?

Last edited:

highnam

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2012
Western Washington
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Trump in office is like getting a new principal in school. "Ah shoot" and this guy can't be pushed over. Call it a cover-up, I call it "daddy is home, time to get to work" Why are we so afraid of success?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread