WHAT TO DO WITH A TREASURE CHEST ! ! ! FILLED WITH TREASURE ! ! !

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just want to know ahead of time...

Just in case I ever find one. :)

:P

So... whilst I have your attention... and just for fun...

What would be your first step after you fall over and get back up and realize you just uncovered a treasure ?

Me...

I would cover it back up... and act like I am still detecting like nothing ever happened... briskly walk back to my car... get in... roll up the windows and freak out.

So... if you ever see me in my car babbling ...
kissing my steering wheel... with tears and sweat dripping... looking like a crazy guy. (which is a look I have been working on so it may not be immediately apparent)

You'll know what time it is... and I may need some well paid security help.

But in reality...
I might be sweating and babbling...
But I would be on the phone with my attorney asking what my options are... and not moving from the line of sight of the spot.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tumb1qfoc0w.gif

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wouldn't tell a soul! I wouldn't call an attorney I'd try to quickly figure out my options. After freaking out like you mentioned above!:laughing7:

Like you said, I know I wouldn't take my eyes off of it or leave the area. after covering back up and if on a beach? Beach towel and time to lay in the sun on top of it till I'm charcoal if I had to!:laughing7:

And for a treasure chest? I'm sure I could get pretty creative in getting it out of there! :laughing7: If and when it was removed, and moved to a secure place where I wouldn't be seen, I'd break it up and bury parts of it in different areas that I know aren't going to be disturbed for a while. Just in case something happens later, for whatever reason. I wouldn't lose it all.

Then I'd work on it from there. Sell a piece here, sell one there, in different areas.....It would take some work! And I'm sure I'll never have the problem! But I really think I could do it! :laughing7: Because, I'm not greedy or flashy! And could live with out going crazy on spending. I would eat and drink well though! to celebrate:laughing7:

Last edited:

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You need to contact that "dog guy" from Fla. who told everyone what he was doing and digging holes everywhere based on a physic or something...? He came up with some strange stories and stupid requests from people. He thought old treasure chests would be buried 10' or deeper. What pirate or person would do that if their coming back for it and/or why?

I'm with Nitric.... Beach towel it, stay, roast, wait for the beach to completely clear. Then do what ya gotta do under the stars. And... KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT about it forever or until your death bed.

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
When one has been in business they learn to never count the money until it's in the bank. Like the gambler says.
there's time enough for counting when the dealing's done.
Anything of value has consequences of many types. So no, I wouldn't get crazy or even excited. I would get crafty,
sly, and cunning. Something will be coming down the pike and until I know what, my mouth is shut.

Stories are endless about lost treasure.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like I say.......... Dig it up, Put it up, And shut up!!!!!

Some really good answers so far!! But I haven't heard the most important one yet. DON'T TELL THE WIFE!!!!!! Why? 20 minutes to spread the news to the family. 30 minutes to tell all her friends. 2 minutes to plan how to spend it. 1 year to figure out how she over spent it. Yup! You got it! One year and 32 minutes and you're back to broke.

Last edited:

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
Being honest, I pay all state and federal income taxes. I sleep good at night.

I think most people pay their taxes. Objections come when they find out what's done with the money.
With a treasure, there's little reason to give up and surrender early. Learn from turtle.
When a person has a business or a job, the government provides roads and bridges etc to facilitate you earning a living and I think they should get a cut. A found treasure is different in my view in terms of the government's contribution.
Kind of like a side job. Your effort, your treasure.

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
babbling ...
kissing my steering wheel... with tears and sweat dripping... looking like a crazy guy.

You just described what i do when i find a single silver dime! I can't imagine finding more than that. .:dontknow:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never post anything about it, bu I doubt I'll ever find anything HUGE!

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Being honest, I pay all state and federal income taxes. I sleep good at night.

If I was EVER lucky enough to find a couple of old leather bags of old gold coins I'd sleep good at night also. But I'm most certainly never going to call up "Uncle Sam" and tell him. A discovery like that wasn't "earned" to be taxed. It would have been FOUND and nobody's business going forward.

You'd have to totally stupid to announce it to the world now-a-days!!!!!

littlehugger

Nov 23, 2005
I would tell no one. Smuggle it all out, and sell it bit by bit, for cash. Maybe keep an emergency stash.
If it was something really historic, or amazing, like a lost kings crown, maybe, I would mail it anonymously to a museum. You just don't want publicity nowadays. Politicians are nasty and greedy. Its why they went into politics. Better not to get their attention.
As a qualifier with the crown, even then, if there is nothing else of value involved that I can liquidate, well.....

Tom_Restorer

Gold Member
Oct 5, 2009
Primary Interest:
Other
You know exactly WHO makes the laws and WHO owns every precious metal on earth by nature, so you have to give them everything you find as a good slave! :laughing7:

Attachments

• evil smiley.jpg
    evil smiley.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I did find a treasure chest last year with treasure. Though it was not of the value ya'll are talking about.

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/t...my-first-treasure-chest-opie-s-gonna-mad.html

Now if I dug a treasure on someone's property with permission (more than likely will be a mason jar full of coins), The property owner's more often then not, when giving permission say "if you find big treasure we split it". I chuckle and say okay and would feel obligated to uphold my end of the deal. Maybe I am naive, but that's just how I roll, I live up to my word. I'm certain it would hit the local media and maybe permissions will be coming to me in stead of me having to find them.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Like I say.......... Dig it up, Put it up, And shut up!!!!!

Some really good answers so far!! But I haven't heard the most important one yet. DON'T TELL THE WIFE!!!!!! Why? 20 minutes to spread the news to the family. 30 minutes to tell all her friends. 2 minutes to plan how to spend it. 1 year to figure out how she over spent it. Yup! You got it! One year and 32 minutes and you're back to broke.

It's really sad that you undermine women that way, it maybe true under your roof but not under everyone else's.

I tell mine right away as there's no secrets and any news of this would never be spoken out load between us again. Just that look in the eye, a smile, wink, a little sign language would say it all till the end of time.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread