Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Member
Discoveries
 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 21
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: Linguistics.

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
  1. #1
    us
    Aug 2012
    New Mexico USA
    1,962
    1326 times
    Prospecting

    Linguistics.

    I was thinking about how many old sayings are still used but
    few know what they mean or their origins.

    ”Going haywire"
    "Being up to snuff"
    "Do not Fold, Spindle, or Mutilate"
    What are "Ink Wells, Blotters, Fountain Pens" used for?
    What are "Phone Booths", "Pay Phones", "Phone Books"?
    Why is a carpet a "Shag Carpet"? The word shag has lost it's origins
    What's the use for a "Church Key", "Skeleton Key"?
    Are these for cars? "Fender skirts, Running Boards, Rumble Seat, Buggy Whip"?
    "And that's all Hunky Dory"

    "The times they are a changing" Dylan
    Rebel - KGC, 4x4x4 and Chadeaux like this.
    Chop wood..Carry water

  2. #2
    Charter Member
    us
    Scotland, Aye !!

    Oct 2004
    N. San Diego area (Pic of my two best 'finds')
    Minelab Explorer
    16,952
    7141 times
    Research and History
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    Recently, I asked my grandson to "roll up" his rear seat window.
    He had no idea what that meant--never having been in a car before with 'roll up' windows.'
    Suddenly, I felt 'old school'; again.
    Don.....

  3. #3

    Jun 2007
    17,659
    8422 times
    Poor kid... "Gee, Grandpa talks funny..."
    Last edited by Rebel - KGC; Aug 09, 2017 at 03:05 PM.
    DeepseekerADS and Mackaydon like this.

  4. #4
    Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2017
    Southern California, outside of San Diego
    1,045
    1101 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    ......yup . . .
    Gay
    Rats !
    Adding machine
    Answering machine
    Floor boards
    Chrome bumpers
    Victory garden
    Incandescent bulbs
    Charge plate
    Free ride
    Cassette tape
    Shoe shine
    Beatnik
    Rewind
    Coat check
    Blue stamps /Green stamps
    Leaded gas
    "Soup to nuts"
    "Tune it in"
    "Break the ice"
    "Bite the bullet"
    "Kick the bucket"
    "Cutting off your nose to spite your face"
    "Small fry"
    "I'm pulling your leg"
    "Adding fuel to the fire"
    "Take the bull by the horns"
    "Cop a cigarette, drink ect.."
    .....and coming soon.....
    Carburetor
    Working vacation
    Florescent bulbs
    Shoe leather
    Family meals
    Conversation (non electronic)
    Repair (now replace)
    Dictionary / books /paperbacks
    Cafeteria
    Algebra
    Paper
    Car keys
    ............ Geeze , I'm experienced (old) !
    Last edited by 4x4x4; Aug 10, 2017 at 05:47 PM.
    "GIVE ME ANALOG , OR GIVE ME DEATH"

    ... Walks on flaming Pop tarts ...

  5. #5
    us
    Jun 2006
    Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
    WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
    3,536
    1788 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Sad thing I saw at an antique mall. I saw this little boy staring at some rotary phones like he was looking at devices from ET. His grandpa was trying to explain it to him holding his smart phone next to it. Poor little guy just couldn't wrap his head around the dial. Now you're thinking that's sad right? The truly sad thing was my 40ish son in law walking behind me asking what's this every ten seconds. That's a phone pole insulator, that's a plane for making moulding before routers were invented. That's an acoustic modem, where you dialed up a BBS and placed the handset on to use your computer. A BBS? An old old school website.
    Road maps!?!? Son those are old school GPSs! I KID YOU NOT!!!
    I know it's here, just need a bigger coil!

    I think I know what my last words will be....
    "Hold my beer and watch this!"

  6. #6
    Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2017
    Southern California, outside of San Diego
    1,045
    1101 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by boogeyman View Post
    Sad thing I saw at an antique mall. I saw this little boy staring at some rotary phones like he was looking at devices from ET. His grandpa was trying to explain it to him holding his smart phone next to it. Poor little guy just couldn't wrap his head around the dial. Now you're thinking that's sad right? The truly sad thing was my 40ish son in law walking behind me asking what's this every ten seconds. That's a phone pole insulator, that's a plane for making moulding before routers were invented. That's an acoustic modem, where you dialed up a BBS and placed the handset on to use your computer. A BBS? An old old school website.
    Road maps!?!? Son those are old school GPSs! I KID YOU NOT!!!

    Yea , that's true ..... is I was packing up to move from the house my son was born , I unboxed a 70s vintage , orange dial wall phone. My son fingered the orange coiled and asked what it is . The next minutes saw tutelage on the fine art of "speed dialing"!
    "GIVE ME ANALOG , OR GIVE ME DEATH"

    ... Walks on flaming Pop tarts ...

  7. #7

    Jun 2007
    17,659
    8422 times
    LAWDY! I feel OLD!
    DeepseekerADS likes this.

  8. #8
    Charter Member
    us
    Scotland, Aye !!

    Oct 2004
    N. San Diego area (Pic of my two best 'finds')
    Minelab Explorer
    16,952
    7141 times
    Research and History
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    "Would you like me to check your oil and water while I clean your windshield?"
    Don......

  9. #9

    Jun 2007
    17,659
    8422 times
    HA! "Grease the Rear End!" ALWAYS gets a laugh!
    bill_wabo and 4x4x4 like this.

  10. #10
    us
    Oct 2007
    Summit County, CO
    White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
    6,958
    4760 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Well here's a couple of sayins nobody will get, unless maybe they're from the south. 'Wilder than a peach orchard boar', referring to someone who was basically crazy and out of control, 'Sh*ttin in tall cotton', which meant a good situation, as we always liked pullin bolls in tall cotton as you didn't have to get down on your knees to pull it, I guess. And if it meant goin to the bathroom nobody could see you. And I have my grandpa's church key. It say's 'Coors' on it, and I ain't got no use for it, but I keep it.
    Rebel - KGC likes this.
    Just like Texas in 1880.

  11. #11

    Jun 2007
    17,659
    8422 times
    Quote Originally Posted by RGINN View Post
    Well here's a couple of sayins nobody will get, unless maybe they're from the south. 'Wilder than a peach orchard boar', referring to someone who was basically crazy and out of control, 'Sh*ttin in tall cotton', which meant a good situation, as we always liked pullin bolls in tall cotton as you didn't have to get down on your knees to pull it, I guess. And if it meant goin to the bathroom nobody could see you. And I have my grandpa's church key. It say's 'Coors' on it, and I ain't got no use for it, but I keep it.
    "COORS"! LOL! COULDA been DOORS of the church... dunno.
    Last edited by Rebel - KGC; Aug 15, 2017 at 06:33 PM.
    DeepseekerADS and RGINN like this.

  12. #12
    Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2017
    Southern California, outside of San Diego
    1,045
    1101 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    ...."GRAB THE BRASS RING !"
    "GIVE ME ANALOG , OR GIVE ME DEATH"

    ... Walks on flaming Pop tarts ...

  13. #13
    Charter Member
    us
    DEPLORABLE

    Jul 2015
    Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
    E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
    11,056
    10535 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    I found a brass ring today.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170911_210150.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	2.15 MB 
ID:	1493384  
    4x4x4 likes this.
    SOMETIMES I WISH I DIDN'T KNOW NOW ,,, WHAT I DIDN'T KNOW THEN,, Bob Seger

  14. #14
    us
    Jun 2006
    Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
    WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
    3,536
    1788 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by Mackaydon View Post
    "Would you like me to check your oil and water while I clean your windshield?"
    Don......
    Holy cow! You just stepped into the twilight zone with that one.
    4x4x4 likes this.
    I know it's here, just need a bigger coil!

    I think I know what my last words will be....
    "Hold my beer and watch this!"

  15. #15
    us
    Jun 2006
    Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
    WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
    3,536
    1788 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by 4x4x4 View Post
    Yea , that's true ..... is I was packing up to move from the house my son was born , I unboxed a 70s vintage , orange dial wall phone. My son fingered the orange coiled and asked what it is . The next minutes saw tutelage on the fine art of "speed dialing"!
    Mentioning phones, back when I was a real young pup, one of the old boys that worked with my grand pa would hear the phone ringing and yell "Hey I think your phones runnin over!". Cracked me up every time he said it.
    4x4x4 likes this.
    I know it's here, just need a bigger coil!

    I think I know what my last words will be....
    "Hold my beer and watch this!"

 

 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. A Quick Lesson on Southern Linguistics
    By DeepseekerADS in forum Everything Else
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: Sep 22, 2015, 08:07 PM
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.3.0