Windows7 USB External Drive Letter Assignment!

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
confused.gif
Having a strange problem - maybe we have an expert around...

1. Windows7

2. I use a USB External Drive to hold all my files. Why? When I travel - I just shut off my desktop and attach the drive to my laptop. That gives me all my files, etc. (even my e-mail).

3. 100% of the time the drive is assigned the letter E.

I decided it was time to replace the drive with a new one (been using the same one for 4 years) - so I bought a new drive, copied everything over to it. I powered down my Desktop, removed the old USB Drive and replaced it with the new one. Yes, same USB slot and even used the same USB extension cable.

Guess what? Windows7 assigned it letter G! Normally that wouldn't be a problem but when you save your stuff to Drive E, open Microsoft Word, etc. and select a previously opened file - it can't find it because the drive letter changed. Also, all my defaults for downloading pictures, etc. goes to drive E: into a pre-determined sub directory.

Now, to make matters interesting - I powered down my Desktop, removed the new drive and replaced it with the old drive and guess what? Yuppa - it was back to the letter E.

Could someone explain to me what is happening? I really hate the thought of changing all my stuff to look for another drive letter.

Thanks!

bill_wabo

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2014
Quebec
Detector(s) used
helmet from pomelo
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Tesoro Mojave,
Garrett Carrott
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you can reassign the letter of your choice, but I don't recall how (really simple, that's why I forgot). Just google "drive letter assignation windows 7". The 2nd or third result is the one I suggest (from howtogeek).

Last edited:
OP
OP
vpnavy

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal_detector.gif
Thanks Bill. Yea, I read that (and the procedures). But, I just have to know why this is happening. It probably is something simple - just doesn't make sense right now.

Thanks again!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread