Rob in KS

Aug 21, 2006
Middle of Kansas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Metal detecting scam - you won't believe it

Salina Journal August 17th

Couple lose $45,000 in scam​

The owners of a Salina store lost $45,000 to scam artists who convinced them that gold coins were buried under their store, then came up with an elaborate process the two would have to go through to retrieve the fortune.

Deputy Chief Mike Marshall said the two men showed the couple, Maria and Alejandro Ramos, a machine that supposedly beeped to indicate the presence of gold. They convinced the couple that the machine detected gold under the floor of the back room of their store, El Azteca De Oro, 427 S. Broadway.

Marshall said the couple allowed the men to use a jackhammer to get through the concrete, then dig into the soil. The scammers claimed to find a clay box, with a cross on the top and the year "1878" on the bottom. Inside was a letter, written on a leather sheet, that indicated that a treasure chest containing $70,000 in gold coins was buried one to two meters below the box. In order to keep their family from having bad luck for four generations, the letter offered these instructions: the Ramoses could not tell anyone of the discovery, they were to build a worship altar to the god Fray, they were to recite the rosary together for nine days and they were to place in the box money equivalent to the value of the gold coins, and leave it there for nine days.

The Ramoses and the men did as instructed, with the Ramoses contributing $45,000 in cash and the two men allegedly putting in $25,000.

The cash was placed in the box on the altar on July 27. The Ramoses and the two men were to start reciting the rosary together every day on July 28.

Marshall said the scammers called the Ramoses July 28 and indicated that they couldn't get to Salina.

The men never showed up again, and the Ramoses couldn't reach them. But Marshall said the couple recited the rosary every day, for nine days, as instructed.

On Aug. 11, Marshall said, they looked in the box, and all of the money was gone. The box had been filled with newspaper.

They notified police Wednesday.

Marshall said a similar scam was pulled recently at a Reno County store.

Shady Digger

Jun 21, 2007
Cool Ridge, WV
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Re: Metal detecting scam - you won't believe it

Im sorry if this offends anyone or somethin, but, how friggin stupid can you be? lol I understand the part about letting them look for the gold, but to put all that money in a box & recite the rosary for 9 days in a row? you gotta be kiddin me

Did the crooks show the family the box and the letter or did they just say they found it?

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH Yeah right :D :D If you are that dumb you deserve to have all your money taken. I have to agree with GoldenRoyBoy on this...Unbelieveable

Hardy

Bronze Member
Sep 6, 2006
3RD TENT TO THE RIGHT
Detector(s) used
NAUTILUS DMC 2BA
Primary Interest:
Other

NOW YOU KNOW HOW I COULD AFFORD MY NEW BOAT ;D

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

alot has to do with mexicans being superstitious
here in lie the key/acme/axle of the plan

OP
OP
Rob in KS

Rob in KS

Aug 21, 2006
Middle of Kansas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

There weren't any other details. I saw it on the Wichita news.

What I want to know is where did they get $45K in CASH???????
They must be selling a LOT of tortillas.

rebelLT

Feb 26, 2007
SE Kansas
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE PRO, XLT, Teknetics Omega

I wish someone would come and stick 25 thousand of THEIR money in a box and bury it under my house! When they came back I would throw them in the hole and keep their money! ;D

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

the mexicans ALL got big dollars stashed away

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks

EDDEKALB said:
Well If I got free medical and dental care , didnt pay taxes or contribute to SS ......I would probally have money too. ::)

desertfox

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites, Tesoro, Fisher and Minelab

Did it say if they got a FREE bus ride back south of the border? I can belive just about anything now days but this was a hard one...........

eagle77

Jan 23, 2007
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2, 3300, XTerra 70

gypsyheart said:
EDDEKALB said:
Well If I got free medical and dental care , didnt pay taxes or contribute to SS ......I would probally have money too. ::)

Agree 1000000% Gypsy.

This is an old scam with a new twist, hope they find the scammers and feed'em bread and water for a long time. I hate predators that prey on the elderly.

IndianaSmith

Jul 21, 2007

LMAO.....if this is true, I hope the scammers were good ol' US rednecks ;D

Smitty

txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

here's your sign!

If anyone else out there is that stupid
please send 25k to me right away, I know where gold is and when recovered I will send you 50% of what I uncover. (just let me know which 50% of the dirt you want top soil or other...never mind I'm not greedy I will send you all 100% of it if you send your money now, yep thats right you get all the dirt I can dig for the low low price of 25k.)

$CUERVOJ

Jul 29, 2007
TEXAS

You guys have to be kidding me? The moderators actually allow this kinda BS on this forum? There are a few of you Id never think would say something like this from all the great welcomes I recieved when I first joined this group.I am of Mexican heritage, Texan and most of all American. Not all Mexicans get free medical and dental as you say. As matter of fact most are proud and hard working. I am sure this family earned every bit of that money as any American should. I'd bet it wasnt by selling drugs or stealing from the poor either. They trusted these people and God to do the right thing.I would have thought Id hear more about how to stop someone from doing this again to anyone white, black, red white or blue. At least something positive. Anyway, I am not mad at you it just reminds me why I love what I do. You have the right to free expression. So do I. Sleep well

IndianaSmith

Jul 21, 2007

$CUERVOJ said:
You guys have to be kidding me? The moderators actually allow this kinda BS on this forum? There are a few of you Id never think would say something like this from all the great welcomes I recieved when I first joined this group.I am of Mexican heritage, Texan and most of all American. Not all Mexicans get free medical and dental as you say. As matter of fact most are proud and hard working. I am sure this family earned every bit of that money as any American should. I'd bet it wasnt by selling drugs or stealing from the poor either. They trusted these people and God to do the right thing.I would have thought Id hear more about how to stop someone from doing this again to anyone white, black, red white or blue. At least something positive. Anyway, I am not mad at you it just reminds me why I love what I do. You have the right to free expression. So do I. Sleep well

I doubt anyone here likes the unbelieveable influx of illegals flowing into this country anymore than the rest of the us do. This country is being sucked-dry by people here ILLEGALLY.....who are more than welcome here, as long as they do it according to the laws ALREADY IN PLACE.

LMAO....I thought Americans went to Mexico FOR cheap drugs?? And we've all heard stories about the corrupt government there.......so sorry, have some cheese & crackers to go along with that whine..........

Smitty

BLACKFOOT

Jan 17, 2007
Heavener oklahoma
Detector(s) used
fisher gold bug2

Your supposed to say the prayer thingie for 12 days thats why it did not work for them.
Bob knows

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other

txkickergirl said:
please send 25k to me right away, I know where gold is and when recovered I will send you 50% of what I uncover. (just let me know which 50% of the dirt you want top soil or other...never mind I'm not greedy I will send you all 100% of it if you send your money now, yep thats right you get all the dirt I can dig for the low low price of 25k.)

Do you accept Italian Lira? Where do I send it and when do I get my gold... Oh, and I'll take all the dirt.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread