Warning to dog owners who hike in the woods

MadTom

Dec 6, 2016
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Bandido umax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Walking my wife’s pup in the woods today. Went a couple feet off a trail to sniff around a stump and got caught in a leg hold. Thank god it wasn’t a Conibear. I got cut on something popping him out. Think I got the worst of it.

Attachments

• 4BC921FD-EDF2-49E5-900E-D98558FF6FEC.jpeg
    4BC921FD-EDF2-49E5-900E-D98558FF6FEC.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 108
  • AD144FF3-5A76-4E55-9EBE-37F628C65612.jpeg
    AD144FF3-5A76-4E55-9EBE-37F628C65612.jpeg
    941.5 KB · Views: 90
  • 397F8117-7195-4532-A786-625B925AF9EB.jpeg
    397F8117-7195-4532-A786-625B925AF9EB.jpeg
    526.3 KB · Views: 74

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The trap that kills more dogs than any other is a simple snare. Completely silent, and quickly lethal. Glad you were there to get your dog out.
Jim

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Lure or bait attracted the dog.
A stump made a good spot to make a " set".
Either a canine pee post type ,or a cache type ,lure nearby and bait in hole under stump , maybe. (Fox like to hide food sometimes).

Good job releasing the dog.
When it showed interest you noticed. Next time....a more nervous approach might signal you to give a leave it command. Smart lookin dog though might have it figured out itself.

Who owns the property you were on?

I have a coyote trapper working mine with my blessing.

You might have cut yourself on a trap stake.

Dog should be fine. Some swelling a day or two at most. Being pinched briefly ,it may already be over it. Unlike yourself.....

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

MadTom

Dec 6, 2016
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Bandido umax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have nothing against trapping. I hunt some. The land is private, but open for hikers. Scared the dog more than anything.

OP
OP
M

MadTom

Dec 6, 2016
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Bandido umax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don’t think snares are legal in VT. I’m going to have yeti look that up. I guess a good pair of wire cutters would take care of that. Leg holds are easy to release. Conibears are another story. I would think anyone who walks in the woods should read up on how to release a pet from a trap. I would think a flatlander would freak out and not know what to do.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
you are a good man Tom

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Conibears are bad news, but usually outdoor dogs are too big to fit in them. And, if your dog ranges out very far, the wire cutters won't help on a snare...
the dog will be dead before you ever know it's in the snare. That's my biggest concern with Heidi, she ranges out, and then back, and I don't usually know exactly where she is. But, I pay attention for signs of trapping activity in the places we roam. If I think it's being worked, I go elsewhere.
Jim

Last edited:

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow Tom, that's amazing. So glad it ended relatively better than it could have. I have to remark that all who have replied are seemingly so casual about this. What the H are they trapping? No, that's a stupid question, as I am aware of what critters wander in the north woods. Why are they still trapping? Are skins still that valuable? Real curious what financial gains justify this in populated areas.

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It doesn't have to make economic sense. No more than detecting makes economic sense. People trap because they enjoy trapping. It's an outdoor pursuit, and one that can pay for itself.
Heck, a couple of years ago, in a town not far from my home, a government trapper put out an exploding cyanide device for coyotes. This device was placed within a 1/2 mile of homes! So, along comes a 15 year old kid with his dog. The dog uproots the device and it goes off, spraying the dog with cyanide. The dog dies....the kid is sickened but survives. He also has continuing health issues. The guy putting out the device got off scott-free, though he violated several rules about the placing of the device. These devices are still being used, and if you're running around BLM lands, you could easily run into one, and under the right circumstances, it could kill you...not just your dog. So why no outrage? Personally, I see no valid reason for the use of these to kill coyotes.
Jim

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It doesn't have to make economic sense. No more than detecting makes economic sense. People trap because they enjoy trapping. It's an outdoor pursuit, and one that can pay for itself.
Heck, a couple of years ago, in a town not far from my home, a government trapper put out an exploding cyanide device for coyotes. This device was placed within a 1/2 mile of homes! So, along comes a 15 year old kid with his dog. The dog uproots the device and it goes off, spraying the dog with cyanide. The dog dies....the kid is sickened but survives. He also has continuing health issues. The guy putting out the device got off scott-free, though he violated several rules about the placing of the device. These devices are still being used, and if you're running around BLM lands, you could easily run into one, and under the right circumstances, it could kill you...not just your dog. So why no outrage? Personally, I see no valid reason for the use of these to kill coyotes.
Jim

Jim, I have never heard of cyanide devices, exploding no less. That is truly a criminal device. For a recreational pursuit, a non selective trap, left out there to catch anything that sniffs around, is a far cry from swinging a metal detector. The person may gain tremendous enjoyment from it, but IMO it's careless, thoughtless, and selfish. If you cause harm to innocent creatures, like someone's dog, I strongly suggest a different form of recreation. This isn't the early 1800's, there are people, kids, and pets everywhere. Stupid dog, sure hoped he learned from that. Ass backward logic.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Place I detect has a guy trapping there. There are fluorescent markers set very close to each trap he sets.

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Place I detect has a guy trapping there. There are fluorescent markers set very close to each trap he sets.

That will help you, does your cat or dog recognize the meaning of markers? Just saying. Mad Toms post, the injury caused to his dog and himself, got my blood up. Once, while deer hunting ( a selective form of harvest ), in the foothills near Vassar, Idaho, as I neared a clearing when day was breaking, I caught a heavy fishing line across my neck, and cow bells started ringing. I didn't know what the H just happened! Apparently a weed grower's alarm system, left in place long after harvest. I wasn't injured, and spent the next hour or more reeling in this trap, and collecting a couple cow bells. Another example of thoughtlessness. It was like 50 lb test mono.

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is the first time that I had heard of this problem. I wish that you both are in better health.

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Jim, I have never heard of cyanide devices, exploding no less. That is truly a criminal device. For a recreational pursuit, a non selective trap, left out there to catch anything that sniffs around, is a far cry from swinging a metal detector. The person may gain tremendous enjoyment from it, but IMO it's careless, thoughtless, and selfish. If you cause harm to innocent creatures, like someone's dog, I strongly suggest a different form of recreation. This isn't the early 1800's, there are people, kids, and pets everywhere. Stupid dog, sure hoped he learned from that. Ass backward logic.

Doesn't matter if it's a far cry. It's legal, and people have done it for 100's of years. I never have, just to set the record straight. And, the really good trappers I know go to great pains to do their sets where there's little chance of harming a pet. But there are jerks in every activity, and it pays to know what's going on. I also worry about Heidi being shot when I'm out in the boondocks. She has the aspect of a coyote, though no skilled hunter would mistake her for one. Still, it's just one more thing I need to be aware of. When I head up a canyon, I always check to see if there's evidence of others being in there that day. If there are, I usually go somewhere else.....especially during hunting season. Fortunately, I live where there are millions of acres to roam around in, so I can pick and choose.
Jim

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well around here nobody in their right mind lets their pets wander outside anymore. About 15 years ago dogs in the area started just disappearing. After that, nobody let them out anymore. Then our culture changed and people got smaller breeds and those are kept inside. Years ago I used to see cats and dogs running loose, lots of them laying dead in the road too. It's been forever since I've seen either a cat or dog dead in the road, and pets unfortunately will run right into a road and get hit. With the coyotes and eagles around, the cat owners don't let their cats out (I certainly don't) and it is actually against the law to let a dog run loose. I think it's been at least 10 years since a stray dog came on my lawn. At least ten years since I SAW one on the lawn, that is. I see people with them on leashes going down the street all the time. I also hear one or two barking from time to time in the distance. Now coyote, bobcat, mountain lion, opossum, raccoons, eagles, etc., yes, they run or fly loose.

dts52

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2015
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox800 / AT Pro / AT Gold / Makro Racer
Vibra-probe / TRX pp
Primary Interest:
Other
Glad your pup is okay and I hope your hand heals up. Just my personal opinion, I hate trapping. I was a hunter for many years and I accompanied my Dad and Uncle trapping for years when I was boy and I've seen too many animals needlessly suffer terribly. I understand it's legal, just my opinion.
HH
dts

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Doesn't matter if it's a far cry. It's legal, and people have done it for 100's of years. I never have, just to set the record straight. And, the really good trappers I know go to great pains to do their sets where there's little chance of harming a pet. But there are jerks in every activity, and it pays to know what's going on. I also worry about Heidi being shot when I'm out in the boondocks. She has the aspect of a coyote, though no skilled hunter would mistake her for one. Still, it's just one more thing I need to be aware of. When I head up a canyon, I always check to see if there's evidence of others being in there that day. If there are, I usually go somewhere else.....especially during hunting season. Fortunately, I live where there are millions of acres to roam around in, so I can pick and choose.
Jim

Yeah Jim, you speak the truth. Not quite so cranky this morning. It's today's reality. And I envy your living in the great state of Idaho. I lived there a total of 7 years, in both Sandpoint, and the Moscow area. I loved the opportunity to go an hour or less in any direction and be out there. REALLY miss trout fishing the streams. If wanted to work at it, I could scramble down into a canyon, and have the entire river to myself. Great time.

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well around here nobody in their right mind lets their pets wander outside anymore. About 15 years ago dogs in the area started just disappearing. After that, nobody let them out anymore. Then our culture changed and people got smaller breeds and those are kept inside. Years ago I used to see cats and dogs running loose, lots of them laying dead in the road too. It's been forever since I've seen either a cat or dog dead in the road, and pets unfortunately will run right into a road and get hit. With the coyotes and eagles around, the cat owners don't let their cats out (I certainly don't) and it is actually against the law to let a dog run loose. I think it's been at least 10 years since a stray dog came on my lawn. At least ten years since I SAW one on the lawn, that is. I see people with them on leashes going down the street all the time. I also hear one or two barking from time to time in the distance. Now coyote, bobcat, mountain lion, opossum, raccoons, eagles, etc., yes, they run or fly loose.

Yeah, pets are now prey, unfortunately. By the way, what part of the country do you live?

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions