Just starting

Jallen0105

Tenderfoot
Dec 17, 2017
Connecticut
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi everyone I’m new to this forum and new to metal detecting, I have always been interested in trying this out as a hobbie and now that I have some free time and a little bit of extra money I figured now would be a good time. I have done some research on what a good entry level detector would be good for me and I have it narrowed down to the fisher f22 and the garret ace 300 any input would be much appreciated. Sorry if a similar post is already on here I tried searching and couldn’t find any. Thanks

Seabees

Jan 3, 2014
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
-Whites & Minelab-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi jallen, Welcome to the site. I don't know anything about those two machines but which ever one you choose, give it time. With time you will learn what your detector is telling you and your time in the field will be rewarded. Good luck and look forward to seeing your future finds/post. Seabees.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi everyone I’m new to this forum and new to metal detecting, I have always been interested in trying this out as a hobbie and now that I have some free time and a little bit of extra money I figured now would be a good time. I have done some research on what a good entry level detector would be good for me and I have it narrowed down to the fisher f22 and the garret ace 300 any input would be much appreciated. Sorry if a similar post is already on here I tried searching and couldn’t find any. Thanks

Welcome from White Plains, NY :occasion14: The two machines you are looking at are basically the same, offering same-same depth, and sensitivity. Honestly, I would try and save a bit more heading into the winter, and get yourself a better machine in the spring. :skullflag:

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi jallen, Welcome to the site. I don't know anything about those two machines but which ever one you choose, give it time. With time you will learn what your detector is telling you and your time in the field will be rewarded. Good luck and look forward to seeing your future finds/post. Seabees.

Seabees is right, and I can only add that if you find it's something you really like, well...........you might say goodbye to your former life, you will begin to see and look at every field, every patch of woods, every old house in a WHOLE different way. With the eye of a Metal Detector guy. Can't be helped, and we love it. You have come on to a really good Forum. Glad to have ya.

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome aboard :icon_thumleft:

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
welcome from the great of Texas

OP
OP
J

Jallen0105

Tenderfoot
Dec 17, 2017
Connecticut
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone for the info and the welcome I’m very excited to hopefully find some really cool things and I feel like it would make me more adventurous. Hopefully I can get the other half involved in this new hobby she loves going for hikes everyone we just have never really had the time before and we are going to be moving in the spring so it gives me a chance to check my property where i am now and look at the new property

s.c.shooter

Bronze Member
Jul 28, 2008
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov- AT PRO - AT Max - Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
welcome to the worlds most addicting hobby and good luck

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_md.gif
I noticed this is your very first post - so, Welcome Aboard! Take a look at Sub-Forums: Connecticut for information (i.e., clubs, etc.) directly related to your state.

OP
OP
J

Jallen0105

Tenderfoot
Dec 17, 2017
Connecticut
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks and it seems to be very addicting but I’m definitely ready for something like this. Terry in your opinion what machine do you think I should save for?

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other

OP
OP
J

Jallen0105

Tenderfoot
Dec 17, 2017
Connecticut
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I think I have found the machine I’m going to go with I’m looking at the Garrett at pro sounds like it’s a good one to start with and be able to work with for a long time. How vital would it be to also buy a pin pointer? Should I get one right away or work with just the detector first then get one?

basssmann

Feb 9, 2013
YOUNGSVILLE, N.Y...... moved to Jacksonville, Flor
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
VIPER TRIDENT , Fisher F75 and just added a CTX 3030 Minelab and Minelab Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get the pin-pointer right away.... it makes it sooo much easier to find your target in the hole.... You won't have to butcher up someone's lawn, while learning to pin point and dig your target... I metal detected for over 20 years with one, and when I got one 8 years ago.... I wondered how I struggled for years without one. Good Luck and don't give up... the first year will be tough, learning your machine... too many people buy a machine, get frustrated, and it sits collecting dust forever.. Ray from the Catskills in NY

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread