pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The U.S. gets more than half its electricity from burning coal, and natural gas. About 40% comes from coal. Although you maybe could push a car with sunshine, waterfalls, and unicorn flatulence, making electricity is really all about the BTUs, and coal has the BTUs.

There is clean coal and dirty coal. Natural gas can run both power plants, heat the home, run the car. Coal burning cars- not many if any around.
Coal is dino-era fuel now when there are better choices. But that comes with a heavy price tag.
We eliminated coal burning power plants in Ontario, the cost of renewable energy has taken the food off of many plates.
Electric cars are still a toy for the 1% in NA, so the costs of bringing these autos is being done from the sweat of the common workers.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
NY State uses 250 trillion BTUs of hydroelectric from various rivers.

Which is a drop in the bucket (n'yuk, n'yuk) compared to fossil fuels like natural gas (the biggie) and coal, ethanol, or even nuclear.

When you look at the strip mines used for lithium, cadmium, and sources for the chemicals used in alkaline batteries they are by no means earth friendly. Not to mention the toxic run-off from the tailings.

BT-AD776_CANCRU_P_20150819213125.jpg

a-lithium-mine-in-nevada-near-teslas-gigafactory.png

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
trapped on the earthly plane of causation
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ask Google, "where does lithium come from?"

North America has only one lithium mine, the Albermarle Silver Peak Mine, and only one U.S. company is currently producing lithium from brine. Most of the world's lithium comes from brine operations in Chile and a spodumene operation in Australia. China and Argentina are also major lithium producers.Apr 7, 2016

Ask Google, "what waste is produced by lithium batteries?"- https://www.theguardian.com/sustain...s-big-battery-waste-problem-lithium-recycling

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Spacex Falcon Heavy Launch

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
OK 1320. Where does electricity come from?

Ask Google says- "About 65% of this electricity generation was from fossil fuels (coal, natural gas, petroleum, and other gases), about 20% was from nuclear energy, and about 15% was from renewable energy sources.Apr 18, 2017"

Edited to add link- https://www.eia.gov/tools/faqs/faq.php?id=427&t=3

I was just trying to clarify that the Tesla is an electric battery car versus an internal combustion "coal burner" fossil fuel type car.

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don’t belive it! I really I think it’s BS. NASA cant make it back to the Moon because they say they “lost” the telemetry data and 100 % of all information to do so for the most important event in human history...but they can make it to Mars? Sorry I don’t buy it.

They didn't lose any tech. Its simply cost too much money to do things the old way, Especially with most parts being a one time use like the boosters and such. It Also wasn't reliable enough, hence the number of rocket crashes over the past 50 years. You simply must apply logic to your thinking to see that saying we lost technology when the real problem was making this tech reusable, more powerful for larger pay loads and most importantly financially viable.

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky

I had to pull over on the side of the interstate to watch this live, what an incredible event. Anyone that thinks this is CGA is well....fill in the blank.

The launch sequence starts at 21:50, the booster decent at 29:00 for those that just want the meat and potatoes. Well worth the time to watch it start to finish.

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
They didn't lose any tech. Its simply cost too much money to do things the old way, Especially with most parts being a one time use like the boosters and such. It Also wasn't reliable enough, hence the number of rocket crashes over the past 50 years. You simply must apply logic to your thinking to see that saying we lost technology when the real problem was making this tech reusable, more powerful for larger pay loads and most importantly financially viable.

SpaceX Rocket Launch: $57 Million, Competition: $380 million. Topped off by controlled landings of boosters that can be reused, classic example of dollars making sense. And oh, 93% success rate....

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I mentioned freedom of speech because I didn’t agree with your point of view. I was only using it to make a point of how Awesome it is to live in this great country.

I don’t believe numerous NASA accounts of many past events. Their excuse of not having any of the telemetry information that got them to the moon and back is all I needed to hear to lose 100% faith in what they say and do.

NASA budget Is over 50 million dollars a day. YES YOU READ THAT CORRECTLY .You think with that kind of budget they could preserve the information tha got them to the moon and back.

Thank you and all the veterans for your service to this great country that gave me the right to express my opinion without ever feeling that I would be persecuted for my beliefs.

I will not say anything about this subject further.

View attachment 1547802

You simply are refusing to apply logic to your thinking, again no info or tech was lost, just deemed inefficient, unreliable, and too expensive. Literally you think nasa just up and forgot how to get to the moon? Also consider that nasa in 2017 had a budget of 19.6 billion or something like that, yes thats a lot of money I agree. Then if you logically think about its expenses you make up for that money very quickly. Just paying employees takes a huge chunk with 17,381 employees. So easily right off the bat there is at least 1+ billion just in wages(conservitive estimate since the average wage at nasa is 90,000a year with a range of 50,000-150,000 per year for the majority, some landing higher). Then you look at benefits and healthcare, then you look at facilities cost, computers and monitoring equipment and so on, then you look at the cost of building what they build. I have left out literally hundreds of expenses here, It adds up rapidly. So your money point doesn't add up. Please make the effort to educate yourself, as there is so much proof in the opposite side from yours, yet you only bring speculation to the table.

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SpaceX Rocket Launch: $57 Million, Competition: $380 million. Topped off by controlled landings of boosters that can be reused, classic example of dollars making sense. And oh, 93% success rate....

Yup looking good now, musk is making great progress.

SeabeeRon

Bronze Member
Aug 5, 2007
Santa Cruz, CA.
Detector(s) used
ML Sov GT; Whites MXT & Surf PI Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just saw a news story on Musk's next advance. Calling it the BFR, or Big F****** Rocket! This is no joke! Glad to see a billionaire with a sense of humor!

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I do like the display on the dashboard NAV screen on the Roadstar: "Don't Panic". A nod to Douglas Adams.

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
Putting the Tesla into space with a fully suited mannequin was not just for show. Data from sensors attached to and embedded in the suit will be used to aid SpaceX in improving suit design.

Time for more coffee.

OP
OP
pepperj

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
There's only one little thing that I can say about the launch and the landing of the booster rockets, was I felt that tingly sensation go up and through my body. Frigging amazing!

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The two boosters landing simultaneously a short distance from each other . . . gooseflesh.

I'll give Elon Musk this - he's doing it with style.

Initially I was miffed he couldn't have found some science experiment that would have taken the space and weight of the Tesla's place for better use . . . but then again. NASA is so frinin dry maybe this is what we needed.

I recall the image of the earth from the moon -

maxresdefault.jpg

Almost got Bill Anders in trouble because it was not in the plan for pre-approved images. Borman (mission commander) claimed afterwards that he was just joking when he told Anders not to take the image because it was not scheduled.

The potential for privatized mining in the asteroids may get us further than scientific advancement on Mars. Go private space interests!

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
There's a report out this morning that NASA and the US Air Force declined to put anything on board. Musk offered this to both agencies for no charge. The Tesla was an idea that he scrambled to put together as a back up plan. He really wanted something scientifically useful on board. The publicity stunt is probably worth millions to him now. Who knows what kind of "mileage" he, SpaceX and Tesla will receive over the years, could be in the billions. The timing of the flight couldn't have been better from a media standpoint as nothing remotely interesting was making headlines Tuesday, it received maximum coverage. It may be fair to compare this launch with NASCAR's fist fight in the infield in 1979. What a better way to get American and most likely the world interested in space again.

OP
OP
pepperj

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
There's a report out this morning that NASA and the US Air Force declined to put anything on board. Musk offered this to both agencies for no charge. The Tesla was an idea that he scrambled to put together as a back up plan. He really wanted something scientifically useful on board. The publicity stunt is probably worth millions to him now. Who knows what kind of "mileage" he, SpaceX and Tesla will receive over the years, could be in the billions. The timing of the flight couldn't have been better from a media standpoint as nothing remotely interesting was making headlines Tuesday, it received maximum coverage. It may be fair to compare this launch with NASCAR's fist fight in the infield in 1979. What a better way to get American and most likely the world interested in space again.

was the report by a news agency, or from another source? It's got the cool factor written all over it, and I agree that it has sparked the interest once again.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread