RANDOM CHAT THREAD - Chat about anything or just hang out - ALL are welcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I seen the northern lights a few times, mostly when I was in the U.P. of Michigan. It's a cool show. I remember when I was a kid an aurora made it down to S.E. WI. It turned the whole sky pink. Craziest thing I ever saw.

The craziest thing I've ever seen...My brother and I went hunting/camping with our Dad and Grandfather in southern Ohio. We did more messing around than actual hunting. It was just a thing we did every year at the end of Oct. It was a state park and we were usually the only ones there in that section. when the lights were off it was DARK!! My Brother and I use to dare each other " Bet you won't walk down to the ...... and back with no flashlight." This would go on for hours and each time it a different place. Now this sounds like we were little kids? No, I was in my 20's and he was his late teens.:laughing7: Anyhow, we saw something glowing down in the woods and snuck down to check it out. Hardly anyone believes this but it's the truth...A log was glowing!!! We even took a piece of it anf put it in a zip lock bag. We could never get it to glow again!! People use to laugh and told me we must have been on good drugs, but I swear...We saw a log glow in the dark.

Later, in life I found out that under the right conditions, temp, moisture, and some kind of bacteria or fungus it will glow in the dark. But all of the conditions have to be just right. I've never seen anything else like it. Other than a small plant that glows in the dark that we saw in Boy scouts on a night hike. But nothing as big as that log. It was about 18 inches thick and maybe 16ft or so long. Glowed bright enough that we saw it for quite a ways off. At first we thought someone was down there with a light of some kind. It was the last hunting trip that I got to go on with my Brother too....Strange how that all works and I have that memory from the strange log too from the same trip.

Last edited:

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Haha...I was listening to a youtube video...I clicked on the car restoration video and was getting irritated that I couldn't hear it.....This is how dumb I am....After a few minutes of trying to watch it...it dawned on me that I couldn't hear it well because I already have a video going!!:occasion14: Geeezzz I swear if I only had half a mind I'd probably be ok.. hahaha:laughing7:

That is pretty cool!

OP
OP
ARC

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
untitled.png

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
The craziest thing I've ever seen...My brother and I went hunting/camping with our Dad and Grandfather in southern Ohio. We did more messing around than actual hunting. It was just a thing we did every year at the end of Oct. It was a state park and we were usually the only ones there in that section. when the lights were off it was DARK!! My Brother and I use to dare each other " Bet you won't walk down to the ...... and back with no flashlight." This would go on for hours and each time it a different place. Now this sounds like we were little kids? No, I was in my 20's and he was his late teens.:laughing7: Anyhow, we saw something glowing down in the woods and snuck down to check it out. Hardly anyone believes this but it's the truth...A log was glowing!!! We even took a piece of it anf put it in a zip lock bag. We could never get it to glow again!! People use to laugh and told me we must have been on good drugs, but I swear...We saw a log glow in the dark.

Later, in life I found out that under the right conditions, temp, moisture, and some kind of bacteria or fungus it will glow in the dark. But all of the conditions have to be just right. I've never seen anything else like it. Other than a small plant that glows in the dark that we saw in Boy scouts on a night hike. But nothing as big as that log. It was about 18 inches thick and maybe 16ft or so long. Glowed bright enough that we saw it for quite a ways off. At first we thought someone was down there with a light of some kind. It was the last hunting trip that I got to go on with my Brother too....Strange how that all works and I have that memory from the strange log too from the same trip.

The woods have lots of mystery , sometimes....

Good to read you made those hunts.
https://www.mnn.com/earth-matters/wilderness-resources/stories/foxfire-strange-glow-woods-night

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The woods have lots of mystery , sometimes....

Good to read you made those hunts.
https://www.mnn.com/earth-matters/wilderness-resources/stories/foxfire-strange-glow-woods-night

Yep, that's it. I couldn't remember the name when I posted. I kept thinking fairy fire but didn't think that was right. Pretty cool stuff! It wasn't as leafy as the pic, more like a thin coating on the log. But I know it has to be the same stuff. When we looked at it during the day it had a whitish grayish moldy look to the surface. from what I think I remember!:laughing7:

Last edited:

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Back to the islands for me in the morning. I had a nice vacation at home. No treasure hunting but some good wood shop time. Time to fish again. See ya.

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Somewhere directly above the center of the Earth.
Primary Interest:
Other
Folks,

An interesting video on restoring an old matchbox car.

Thanks Bill.
That video will come in handy.
This was the first of many and sits on my desk.. Easy photo opportunity lol
I've probably 200 tootsie toy cars.
No telling how long it was buried before I saved it,.. But the wheels still turn.
American craftsmanship.
View attachment 1685211
View attachment 1685212

I love metal detecting!

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Cool finds worldtalker! I like how ornate things use to be! And everything from that time period watches,sewing machines, anything had that cool look to it. you don't see hinges like that anymore! I'll bet they are sturdy compared to today too!

Solid heavy brass.

OP
OP
ARC

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting