RANDOM CHAT THREAD - Chat about anything or just hang out - ALL are welcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
ARC

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A barnacle is a type of arthropod constituting the infraclass Cirripedia in the subphylum Crustacea, and is hence related to crabs and lobsters. Barnacles are exclusively marine, and tend to live in shallow and tidal waters, typically in erosive settings. They are sessile (nonmobile) suspension feeders, and have two nektonic (active swimming) larval stages. Around 1,220 barnacle species are currently known.[1] The name "Cirripedia" is Latin, meaning "curl-footed".

OP
OP
ARC

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Barnacles are encrusters, attaching themselves permanently to a hard substrate. The most common, "acorn barnacles" (Sessilia), are sessile, growing their shells directly onto the substrate.[2] The order Pedunculata (goose barnacles and others) attach themselves by means of a stalk.[2]

Free-living barnacles are attached to the substratum by cement glands that form the base of the first pair of antennae; in effect, the animal is fixed upside down by means of its forehead. In some barnacles, the cement glands are fixed to a long, muscular stalk, but in most they are part of a flat membrane or calcified plate. A ring of plates surrounds the body, homologous with the carapace of other crustaceans. These consist of the rostrum, two lateral plates, two carinolaterals, and a carina.[3] In sessile barnacles, the apex of the ring of plates is covered by an operculum, which may be recessed into the carapace. The plates are held together by various means, depending on species, in some cases being solidly fused.[citation needed]

Inside the carapace, the animal lies on its back, with its limbs projecting upwards. Segmentation is usually indistinct, and the body is more or less evenly divided between the head and thorax, with little, if any, abdomen. Adult barnacles have few appendages on their heads, with only a single, vestigial pair of antennae, attached to the cement gland. The six pairs of thoracic limbs are referred to as "cirri", which are feathery and very long, being used to filter food, such as plankton, from the water and move it towards the mouth.[citation needed]

Barnacles have no true heart, although a sinus close to the esophagus performs a similar function, with blood being pumped through it by a series of muscles. The blood vascular system is minimal. Similarly, they have no gills, absorbing oxygen from the water through their limbs and the inner membrane of their carapaces. The excretory organs of barnacles are maxillary glands.[citation needed]

The main sense of barnacles appears to be touch, with the hairs on the limbs being especially sensitive. The adult also has three photoreceptors (ocelli), one median and two lateral. These photoreceptors record the stimulus for the barnacle shadow reflex, where a sudden decrease in light causes cessation of the fishing rhythm and closing of the opercular plates.[4] The photoreceptors are likely only capable of sensing the difference between light and dark.[5] This eye is derived from the primary naupliar eye.[6]

OP
OP
ARC

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We have all attached to this thread... Like barnacles. :)

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Morning, Tom, AARC, BC, and whom ever tumbles out of bed rubbing their sleepy eyes, trying to figure out if it's morning! ....oh wait, that's me in the mirror!
Coffee, coffee, coffee, where's the coffee?
Kinda gritty tasting this morning...filter paper??? [emoji15]
Just strain it, it's still coffee... It's going to be one of "those" days.

Nice finds WD, you got double luck & the ring toss, twice!

Sent from my VS810PP using Tapatalk

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The creator's of the original super glue!
We're a bunch of, heartless barnacles? Aw, say it ain't so AARC.

OP
OP
ARC

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Attached like... not built like.. :) savvy ?

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
Thank you BC i appreciate your prayers.

WD, that and different icon arrangements.
My son says my phone is out dated & soon won't be able to talk to anything on the net.
....i haven't even gotten use to it yet! I don't know half of what it does.
This will make you laugh.
I have one foot in the new tap a talk T-Net app, the orange one. And one foot in the old gold/black one....one foot one each log going down the river!
At some point they will split!
...splash!!

Oh, I tried so hard to find a gif for that! LOL!

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow, I really should have thught of that :(
Was always more a bass, catfish, trout fisherman. Had a three or four boats. Jon boats, an aluminum v bottom.
A 14 foot flat bottom is not something you want out on the main lake cause spme of those idiots can swamp you.

LOL! When you first asked the question, I was tempted to reply, "Get a boat."

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
Next time I get an hour I’ll try it. Seems like a lot more trouble than the laptop was

I knew that it came across as a lot of work. It really isn't. Takes seconds. I just am programmed to give every little detail when it comes to doing something computer related because I have 2 other people who are computer challenged. Also, that is using a laptop, so as Msbeepbeep said, yours could be different. Are you using Tapatalk app? Or are you using a browser?

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm right there with you on needing coffee Mike.

I just viewed Bill's barnacles pic...and got color swatches!

Coffee...oh coffee where are you???

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
Did anyone notice I had a rock in my finds? The thing made the Delta and my pin pointer go absolutely berserk! My friend found a couple like that last week, also. What the heck do we have out here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread