RANDOM CHAT THREAD - Chat about anything or just hang out - ALL are welcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Folks,

An interesting video on axe making.

Fantastic stuff Uncle!
Forge welding is a high art.
The vid shows John using borax (?) for flux and inserting a piece of steel into between the layers of iron....Then at critical temp "welding" it with a "pop"...
Quite a marriage ,iron and steel.
A piece of plowshare is still popular (as in the past) for steel. Plowshares often being worn beyond economical repair ,or broken. But good steel still.
This smith has steel from elsewhere , so as often I digress..

Shows him quench in oil to harden the bit. No tempering shown after.
The grinding to sharpen needing minding to not overheat that new edge.

With the hard(brittle) untempered bit , such a head needs warmed (hows you belly?) in bitter cold temps so not to break it.

The recovered heads we see with distorted polls and eyes ect. are a result of too much force on the soft (but economical) iron.
Broken bits/faces could be from sub zero(F.) temps ,or a stone/nail/spike , other axe or hawk... ect..

Now for the fun part!

About five paces for one revolution of a hawk. Four paces for a knife of near weight.
Body language will hint of weight transfer to offside lower quarter opposite arm being used.

No wrist action beyond the handle sliding out of grip. (The revolutions are due to tool balance and function ,not imparted by deliberate wrist action. At least not with consistent results.
Once you know your personal distance per revolution you can double it and still stick blade edge first.
For greater force you can see some of the throwers in the vid taking a half step and landing on offside foot.
Often a line in competition you need to stay behind.
(Hint , if you are hosting , have that line at five or six feet. Or three ...)
Usual rules on "woodswalk" events don't let you pace off distance from line to target.
But when you are behind a group still throwing at a station ,or in a group where someone else throws first there is no rule against counting someones steps when they retrieve their hawks/knives...

Last edited:

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Ok... earlier... I stated that Florida has all this wildlife etc etc... right ?...
Even the animals want to retire here.
I sent a retired King snake your way.
He's cool, you know, "Red on Yellow" he likes you, fellow, and likes to play. :wink:

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sure thats not an over grown coral snake? Lol, stay away.

The one thing with some tourists is they seem to think all wild life is part of the "show". ....surprise!
There were gators, rattlers, coral snakes, panthers, deer, etc.
And yes those gators can get up & run.
Panthers can sound like a crying baby at times.

Going to call it a night [emoji99] ...if it answers...its the rum! [emoji1]

Mostly if you leave the wild life alone, they leave you alone.

I have a story about a local Seminole village, me, & some tourists. For another time.

Sent from my VS810PP using Tapatalk

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes, Thank You, Bill.

Msbeep, I didn’t detect. I didn’t take Tylenol or rum. I took another nap. I guess I got way too much fresh air. LOL.

Lol! Thanks Bill...now is AARC's free rum in the deal?
That can be mind blowing.

Good morning crew mates.
I missed half of you this morning, had a phone call. You

WD take your Tylenol now, you'll be fine....or some rum, you'll be REAL fine, but not alot of detecting will get done.

Sent from my VS810PP using Tapatalk

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
OK, I will share this encounter with a 4" tree frog last night.
My backyard is landscaped as a Florida tropical "jungle", and it has frogs, anoles, black and king snakes and a myriad of insects, including a walking leaf.
Letting dogs out for their last call, I was sitting and the patio porch swing.
Above on the swings cross bar, was this tree frog, eyes wide and breathing as they do...
So I'm sitting there when the frog lets it bladder go directly on the left side of my face and jumps away to parts unknown.

Karma?

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
Cool, thanks. I’m quite surprised at how many people are contributing. I never dreamed that would happen.
I have to say good night now though. I’m dozing off in the middle of my post. :cat:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread