RANDOM CHAT THREAD - Chat about anything or just hang out - ALL are welcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tom,

Right answer I haven't decided on your prize yet......:laughing7::laughing7::laughing7: I'll put it in with the heritage seed packets I'll be mailing along probably not until after the holidays.

-

OK Buddy, now I got it.

It´s Uncle Wilhelm II. and this ship is the Hohenzollern, build in 1893

:laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7:

Hillbilly Prince

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2018
SW Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett All Terrain Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yuuuck.

Not good when everyone shows symptoms.

Home air quality been checked?
Don't know if you recently started running a heater or furnace.

I been fighting dry air by using a vaporizer here while slacking off getting out hunting in the real air.

Don't lick any shopping cart handles.....:laughing7:

Oops...

Hillbilly Prince

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2018
SW Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett All Terrain Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

-

Looks like those who did that has not the right tools and/or experience to find the original surface.

Anyway, this "restoration" looks real like a total mess :BangHead: Horrible!

First of all after desalination they should have cleaned the backside with air abrasion as good as possible and put the pieces together with epoxy and bandages to stabilize it. Than it is possible to work on the front to get rid of all the concretions with air abrasion and round glass beads. Aluminum oxide or any other crude materials damage the surface to much and in this case it could also destroy any fine decorations on front of that plate which are not to see yet! The rest can be done by rotating tools and other stuff to bring it back to the original shape. All the missing parts could be formed out of colored epoxy as well.

Seems I have to move to the US and forget that Madeira thing :laughing7: So if someone has a job for me, let me know :headbang:[/QUOTE]

Seems like I read if using baking soda as a material to sandblast a layer of paint away at a time with cars. Maybe a little rough for that in terms of what you mean to do.
But anyway, you should contact these guys and straighten them out in how to restore that thing.
Come here, set yourself up as a contractor. Never have to actually work.
Why not be a consultant in your field? With your skills you could do well anywhere. But if you are based here you could also procure ladies for me lol.

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Roger,

They do make some collector grade coins in 24k as well as a minimal amount of jewelry. The reason is pure gold is very pliable similar to lead so it's not very practical for either circulating coins or jewelry people are planning to wear. That explains why they make jewelry in lower karat so the finished product is more solid and can handle the wear and tear.

Interesting, I didn't know Spanish Gold Doubloons were only 22carat .And only 6 to 8 grams in weight (depending on year minted) ???
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doubloon

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Roger,

They do make some collector grade coins in 24k as well as a minimal amount of jewelry. The reason is pure gold is very pliable similar to lead so it's not very practical for either circulating coins or jewelry people are planning to wear. That explains why they make jewelry in lower karat so the finished product is more solid and can handle the wear and tear.

Yeah I understand that.But for some reason I always thought they were at least 1/2 oz. if not 1 oz.

Tom_Restorer

Gold Member
Oct 5, 2009
Primary Interest:
Other
Interesting, I didn't know Spanish Gold Doubloons were only 22carat .And only 6 to 8 grams in weight (depending on year minted) ???
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doubloon

-

Buddy, so far I know it is nearly impossible to find clean gold in nature. Depending on the area it has always copper, silver and some other stuff in it. From the analysis of ancient gold pieces I know that it is mostly just 22 carat.

Tom_Restorer

Gold Member
Oct 5, 2009
Primary Interest:
Other
-

Looks like those who did that has not the right tools and/or experience to find the original surface.

Anyway, this "restoration" looks real like a total mess :BangHead: Horrible!

First of all after desalination they should have cleaned the backside with air abrasion as good as possible and put the pieces together with epoxy and bandages to stabilize it. Than it is possible to work on the front to get rid of all the concretions with air abrasion and round glass beads. Aluminum oxide or any other crude materials damage the surface to much and in this case it could also destroy any fine decorations on front of that plate which are not to see yet! The rest can be done by rotating tools and other stuff to bring it back to the original shape. All the missing parts could be formed out of colored epoxy as well.

Seems I have to move to the US and forget that Madeira thing :laughing7: So if someone has a job for me, let me know :headbang:

Seems like I read if using baking soda as a material to sandblast a layer of paint away at a time with cars. Maybe a little rough for that in terms of what you mean to do.
But anyway, you should contact these guys and straighten them out in how to restore that thing.
Why not be a consultant in your field? With your skills you could do well anywhere. But if you are based here you could also procure ladies for me lol.[/QUOTE]

-

Buddy, before I would move, it has to be for sure that I have work. It is quite hard to start from the beginning.

anyway, if you use crude materials like baking Soda (this are crystals) for air abrasion, it damages every smooth surface as you can see on the pic with the padlock from James Town rediscovery Video.
The other pic shows a result with round micro glass beads (150-220µ)
After desalination and specially after cleaning in distillate water there are large areas where the remaining oxide layers gets very very soft and with crude blasting material and too much pressure you get such bad results like on this padlock.

Attachments

• 1234.jpg
    1234.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 39
  • Rapier_Detail.jpg
    Rapier_Detail.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 40

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tom,

Well it's a no brainer that the method used on the sword is the way to go. Better to follow the advice when you don't know ask than to go ahead and destroy a relic when trying to restore or preserve it.

Tom_Restorer

Gold Member
Oct 5, 2009
Primary Interest:
Other
Tom,

Well it's a no brainer that the method used on the sword is the way to go. Better to follow the advice when you don't know ask than to go ahead and destroy a relic when trying to restore or preserve it.

coorect!

It seems they just started on that Spanish piece without knowing anything. Looks like an amateur did it who just read something about iron restoration and never did it.

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
-

Buddy, so far I know it is nearly impossible to find clean gold in nature. Depending on the area it has always copper, silver and some other stuff in it. From the analysis of ancient gold pieces I know that it is mostly just 22 carat.

Yeah ,so far, pretty much everything I'm finding is 22 carat

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why not be a consultant in your field? With your skills you could do well anywhere. But if you are based here you could also procure ladies for me lol.

-

Buddy, before I would move, it has to be for sure that I have work. It is quite hard to start from the beginning.

anyway, if you use crude materials like baking Soda (this are crystals) for air abrasion, it damages every smooth surface as you can see on the pic with the padlock from James Town rediscovery Video.
After desalination and specially after cleaning in distillate water there are large areas where the remaining oxide layers gets very very soft and with crude blasting material and too much pressure you get such bad results like on this padlock.[/QUOTE]

Some 24 carat 'Gold Leaf' sure would make that sword POP :) 013.JPG like I did to this 1909 piece

From here > https://www.goldenleafproducts.com/...4kIIKBuTo9Wzi6BgMotM6sfXtjBey3MRoCchAQAvD_BwE 009.JPG << before gold leaf

Last edited:

Tom_Restorer

Gold Member
Oct 5, 2009
Primary Interest:
Other
-

After desalination and specially after cleaning in distillate water there are large areas where the remaining oxide layers gets very very soft and with crude blasting material and too much pressure you get such bad results like on this padlock.

Some 24 carat 'Gold Leaf' sure would make that sword POP :) View attachment 1661259 like I did to this 1909 piece

From here > https://www.goldenleafproducts.com/...4kIIKBuTo9Wzi6BgMotM6sfXtjBey3MRoCchAQAvD_BwE View attachment 1661261 << before gold leaf[/QUOTE]

-

Buddy, you did a great work there! Specially because it is not as easy at it looks to do!

Did you used oil to put it on? There are acrylic milks out there that don´t work well. it dries too fast and you make out of a very smooth surface a crude one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions