RANDOM CHAT THREAD - Chat about anything or just hang out - ALL are welcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
What are you going for? A sleeper? Barely Streetable?
What do you see in your head?
The Chevy small block is still a good hot rod.
I read of a guy who got a stock 500 cubic inch caddy engine and put it in one of the small light 60's Ford. After he broke a few rear ends he got one that could take the torque and had an instant drag racer.
There are a lot of ways to go without spending a lot of money.
You could find a 440 c.i. in those older motor homes and station wagons. Same with 454 chevy engines.
I always wanted to build an old school hot rod. Mill the heads 30 thousands, and all that stuff they used to do.
Maybe you should try something unique. Salvage yards are full of cars from the 70's and 60's which could work for a basis.
What are you aiming for? I can live without eye candy-I ptefer to put money in the engine.
Post a pic of what sort of body you would like to srart with.

i'm looking for power and eye candy and something affordable

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
i'm looking for power and eye candy and something affordable

Hmmm.

An older Ford F-150 well maintained maybe.

I had one from a deer farm in Texas. 4-WD ,(Not to be confused with member W.D...).
Forget the year though....351 engine had a design flaw that allowed P.C.V. inlet to airwash a valve. Made for a hoppin ride at low speed. A head turner for you maybe.

Ran it though. One winter day making some runs to get set up for ice fishing the fan came off and went through the radiator.
Cold enough to run it home air cooled...

There should be some nice old (vehicle) bodies out your way.

Probably want to look into insurance costs. As you would if buying a new Dodge Charger too. (!)

The classics are too expensive for most buyers.
Guys are buying the ones they wanted in high school many years later now that they have a couple nickles to rub together ,and a mid life crisis...

That might leave you studying dependability of late models ten years old or so. A couple mechanics might be helpful there in that regard. And paying a qualified and experienced one to inspect a potential buy can help . I'd drive a turd if it was dependable ,compared to some good looking problem children type vehicles I've owned a couple of.

Engine and transmission matter. Not many folks I know pamper their transmissions with recommended inspection and flushing.
If they are good and the vehicle is not rusted/rotted out then brakes and cooling system and wiring ect can be checked.

Remember , the stereo , or body style ,or color is not what gets you to where you want to go!

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
Hmmm.

An older Ford F-150 well maintained maybe.

I had one from a deer farm in Texas. 4-WD ,(Not to be confused with member W.D...).
Forget the year though....351 engine had a design flaw that allowed P.C.V. inlet to airwash a valve. Made for a hoppin ride at low speed. A head turner for you maybe.

Ran it though. One winter day making some runs to get set up for ice fishing the fan came off and went through the radiator.
Cold enough to run it home air cooled...

There should be some nice old (vehicle) bodies out your way.

Probably want to look into insurance costs. As you would if buying a new Dodge Charger too. (!)

The classics are too expensive for most buyers.
Guys are buying the ones they wanted in high school many years later now that they have a couple nickles to rub together ,and a mid life crisis...

That might leave you studying dependability of late models ten years old or so. A couple mechanics might be helpful there in that regard. And paying a qualified and experienced one to inspect a potential buy can help . I'd drive a turd if it was dependable ,compared to some good looking problem children type vehicles I've owned a couple of.

Engine and transmission matter. Not many folks I know pamper their transmissions with recommended inspection and flushing.
If they are good and the vehicle is not rusted/rotted out then brakes and cooling system and wiring ect can be checked.

Remember , the stereo , or body style ,or color is not what gets you to where you want to go!

my uncle has over a 100 car bodies that are rusting on his property i may ask him for one

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
my uncle has over a 100 car bodies that are rusting on his property i may ask him for one

Does he have any old tractors? Ha ,ha,ha... Hold me back!
Seriosly though ,if you are very careful safety wise tractors can be good experience wrenching and researching how to work on them and get them dialed in.
Then unless you are like me and want to keep them , you can sell them.
Profit margins can be thin if restoring them. But getting a nonrunner going can yield some gains.
A neighbors son was flipping (buying and selling ,not literally flipping ) them.
Got ahold of an alligator of a tractor or something and it cooled his interest.

Leveraged right though ,and not putting too much into one it could help finance a vehicle for you.
Or , put a slow moving vehicle sign on one and drive slow to town..... Eye candy ,and affordable! L.o.l.

Here's my weakness. (F-Cubs). Not good for speed though. (!)
Knowing what they sell for when healthy and running in your area , and when in great shape helps know what a non runner or a turd or a garage queen is worth.

Watch the guy in the video's thumb position when hand cranking. It is important to not get hurt.
He should check the shifter to be sure it is in neutral before starting too.
A tractor that can be turned with a handcrank allows checking an engine on a long time stored/setting tractor to see if the engine is froze up.
This type model ,the oil pump should be primed before starting if it has sat a long time. (Like a year or more).

Last edited:

Hillbilly Prince

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2018
SW Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett All Terrain Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Someone mentioned bacon...
4aeb9c3eec940a8426fc7284edeb26a98760959d97048dbfef95c501f417597c.jpg

Hillbilly Prince

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2018
SW Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett All Terrain Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does he have any old tractors? Ha ,ha,ha... Hold me back!
Seriosly though ,if you are very careful safety wise tractors can be good experience wrenching and researching how to work on them and get them dialed in.
Then unless you are like me and want to keep them , you can sell them.
Profit margins can be thin if restoring them. But getting a nonrunner going can yield some gains.
A neighbors son was flipping (buying and selling ,not literally flipping ) them.
Got ahold of an alligator of a tractor or something and it cooled his interest.

Leveraged right though ,and not putting too much into one it could help finance a vehicle for you.
Or , put a slow moving vehicle sign on one and drive slow to town..... Eye candy ,and affordable! L.o.l.

Here's my weakness. (F-Cubs). Not good for speed though. (!)
Knowing what they sell for when healthy and running in your area , and when in great shape helps know what a non runner or a turd or a garage queen is worth.

Watch the guy in the video's thumb position when hand cranking. It is important to not get hurt.
He should check the shifter to be sure it is in neutral before starting too.
A tractor that can be turned with a handcrank allows checking an engine on a long time stored/setting tractor to see if the engine is froze up.
This type model ,the oil pump should be primed before starting if it has sat a long time. (Like a year or more).

I don't know why but I like tractors. Only drove an old blue Ford one a few times. I think it would be nice to have one around.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
You guys have a safe new year. I'll keep an eye on ya. 6ce29f0bb8857f0b83abfb17e05c970e.gif :laughing7:

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Last edited:

Hillbilly Prince

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2018
SW Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett All Terrain Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Lynx equipment

Greenie
Jun 28, 2018
Arazona/montana
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
So I have a random question about dredge pumps . Has anybody ever thought about a double suction centrafugal pump on a suction dredge ? I'm in the planning stage on building a new dredge and I only want one motor but the power of 2 pumps my dredge will be a 4 or 5 inch with hopefully a infinity jet lots more mods but this is mainly about the pump. I'm thinking about and designing basicly a double centrifugal pump spesificly for suction dredges . I would like some input

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread