Steve Fossets Vanishing Act

Casull

Jan 17, 2007
Central Virginia
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend
Re: Steve Fosset's Vanishing Act

HI CASUL: Based upon this, then no-one but an amatuer is a hero since the others are "just doing a job that they are paid for", including the firemen of 9/11 and the Military..
~~~~~~~~~~
. How should we consider someone who surprises everyone with his or her heroism? What about the person who is expected to behave In a particular way? Is the heroic act quite separate from the person who performs it?
What about the 'ordinary' mother who, without thinking, rushes back to a smoky, flame-engulfed apartment in an attempt to save her helpless child from a hideous death? Is being labeled a hero sometimes simply a matter of surrendering to impulse? What about the otherwise innocuous whistle blower who may go so far as to draw the wrath of authority to protect more vulnerable comrades? We may remember Karen Silkwood, who worked in a nuclear plant where fuel rods used in nuclear fission reactors were made. Already fatally affected by chemical poisoning, Silkwood died in mysterious circumstances after she had spent several months gathering evidence of plutonium contamination throughout the plant. As she acted over an extended period, this may have been 'deliberate' heroism, and yet what had the dying Silkwood to lose? How important is the idea of sacrifice when identifying heroism? But could some people in these same circumstances be seen to be 'merely doing their duty" when they react as did our heroic figures above? Aren't firemen, for instance, supposed to rush into burning buildings? Shouldn't a chaplain in a concentration camp automatically sacrifice himself to save his fellow man?

Real, I'm just not sure how to take your response. Nowhere did I say that to be a hero someone has to be a professional anything. All of your examples have one thing in common; in each case, the individual act involves risk of serious injury or death and involves the attempt to help or save another. Clearly, that is the definition of a hero. Who exactly was Fosset attempting to help or save by flying his balloon around the world? I just chose the 9-11 example, because my brother-in-law was equating victim status with heroism. Clearly someone running from a burning building is doing nothing cowardly, but just as clearly, it involves no heroism. By the same token, those firefighters running into the buildings were clearly putting their lives at risk to aid others, and that is the very definition of heroism, regardless of whether or not it was their job or profession. I guess I simply can't see where an adrenalin junky going after fame and records is a hero. If you believe that, then I guess I must have a higher standard for heroism.

Zephyr

Nov 26, 2006

solaryellow said:
I said he might have been shot down...he wasn't to far from protected military sensitive areas..
My post disappeared, so here it is again.
Just wild speculation, but hey he was a wild guy....

Too bad satellites can't be used to image areas immediately after such trajedy's i'm sure it could pick up something.
Or he got just a little too close to Area 51.... :D

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Casull said:
Real, I'll stand by my remark. Sorry you thought it was silly, but if someone has the money to buy the equipment, there is no great skill or physical challenge involved in flying a balloon. Was there some danger involved? Of course, but I'd bet no more than is involved in rock climbing, which does involve a great deal of physical ability and skill. I've already said it 2 or 3 times above; I appreciate Fosset's financial abilities and don't think he has any obligation to spend his money on anything but what he desires. I hold the man no grudge, but what was silly was when he was referred to as a hero. That term is bandied about much too freely today. In fact, shortly after 9-11, my brother-in-law remarked that those residents that died in the towers were "heros". I told him no, they were victims. While all those people were running out of the towers, there were those that were running in (i.e. firemen). The ones running in were the heros. A billionaire with wild hobbies is no hero. You can respect his daring, but it involves no heroics.

With all Due Respect to Police, Firemen, Etc.
I would have to agree.

A Hero "to me" is anyone who Saves a Life or Lives,
By doing something Extrodinary, without Training or payment,
or Regards for their own lives.

at least here in my part of PA Fireman are Voluntears,
they are not paid, But they are Trained not to rush in & save Lives,
IF Theirs is in Danger.
Ambulance Crews are also Voluntear, But are not to go into
a house or even within sight if there was a shooting, Suicide, or fight, even if someone is dying, untill police arrive & Secure the scene.

Police are paid, But are Trained not to go into a house or even within sight
if there was a shooting, Suicide, or fight, Untill Back up arrives.

A Hero "to me" would be the one who says
I gotta do this Now ! and Does it Successfully.

joya_dorado

Feb 13, 2005
San Marcos, TX
Detector(s) used
White's MXT

People who save lives are certainly heroes. On that we can all agree. But there are other heroes too. These are the men and women who serve as role models for people young and old. In this category are your Neil Armstrongs, Charles Lindbergs and guys like this who dared the impossible. Into this category I place Steve Fosset and Burt Rutan. The Smithsonian apparently agrees. These sorts of heroes give the young men and women of this country something positive to aspire to. Damn sight better than the anti-heroes a lot of kids look toward these days.

Then there are the silent heroes who make personal efforts and sacrifices to help others... the Helen Kellers and Mother Theresas of the world. My hat is off to them as well.

Heroes come in all sizes and shapes. I respect them all.

bowser

Feb 27, 2007
SOUTH WEYMOUTH MA.
Detector(s) used
PRISM11 MXT IDX PRO TESORO COMPARDRE T2 se
Primary Interest:
Other

hey to each his own live and let live, how many people here have more metal detectors than hands to use them and how many of us had walter mitty dreams i say good luck to him

Urban Prospector

Feb 21, 2007
N OC CA
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,Compass 94B & 77B

If Fosset was a hero or not is for others to say.I'd share a beer or two with him.Eagle scout by 13 ran the Iditarod and Ironman, mountaineered the world.Sure he flew around the world in a balloon, on his sixth attempt.Also circumnavigated the globe in a plane, nonstop without refueling.Some great design and tech advancements were necessary to achieve those firsts. If it was easy someone would have done it already.

countrygrammy

Sep 15, 2006

I really think he's still alive maybe in south america somewhere.Maybe he just

needed a break and to get away from the press.Its bad so much much money and

time was spent lookin ,if he is alive that would be great tho.If he chose to

disappear does his wife know?If not i'm sure she is going thu a kind of hell.???

OP
OP
S

spyguy

Jan 30, 2006

I just read online that Fosset's wife is tyring to petition the court to declare him legally dead.... Seems there's 10's of million$ at $take regarding his e$tate. I wonder what her possible motive could be...hmmm? It's been less than 3 months since he went missing. It's always been my understanding that several YEARS have to pass of no contact in order to make that declaration. Personally, based on all the available information I think he intended to start a new life somewhere and probably could care less right now. 8)
HH
-spyguy

MD Dog

Bronze Member
Feb 10, 2007
Please don't yell !

If Steve Fosset was a hero then anyone you talk to on any given day could like wise be a hero. Only thing that led him to do the things he did was.
1.) Money gave him the time needed to pursue these things.
2.) Money gave him the resources to pursue these things.
3.) Money provided him with the ability to choose what he did with the money, time, resources.

Surely given the Money and all that comes with it, anybody could choose to follow such pursuits, but why then don't more people with this amt. of money do these Richard Branson-esque things. Because most people with money spend the majority of their time trying to earn more, which comes from an actual phobia of losing what they have and becoming poor. Then there are those with money who actually choose to do some good with their wealth. So they all choose in the end, some to do nothing, except get more, those who choose to do good and we never hear about the real ones (not the once in a while huge donation splash accross the gossip columns types) but the real ones who move or travel frequently to places that are Godawful just so they can be there hands on seeing what needs to be done and making it happen. And the last type Like Richard Branson or Steve Fosset who only choose to worry the world won't remember them and seek out fame as daredevils and record breakers/setters.

Noodle

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2005
N Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Ace 250

I thought you had to wait seven years to declare someone missing to be dead. Laws do change, though, I guess.

I don't have millions of $$, so am not up with the latest to-do's. 'Course, if the lawyers are pushing for her to do this, which I read somewhere, don't you know that their cut will be substantial? Why wait, if they can get a piece of the action today?

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS

hey noodle, glad to hear you're doing better, I think, if a person just disappears it's 7 years, but if they have good reason to believe they're dead I don't know if they have a time limit, it's probably up to a judge, although once it goes to probate it'll be tied up for years.

GunFarce

Dec 26, 2004
Innisfil On Canada

If the money is all tied up in his estate, then no doubt his wife will try damn hard to have him declared dead.. After all he can't start a new life without money, and if it's all tied up for 7 years, THATS going to be a real inconvenience !

OP
OP
S

spyguy

Jan 30, 2006
Steve Fosset's Vanishing Act

I saw where a Chicago judge declared Steve Fosset dead yesterday. I still wonder where he REALLY is.... ::)
To a great adventurer --- Cheers Steve!
HH
-spyguy

countrygrammy

Sep 15, 2006

:o I may be wrong but i really think he's alive,no real reason just a feelin.I don't understand
why she didn't have to wait the seven years.I'll just bet one of us would have had too.When you got
plenty of money you can probably change a lot of mind to work in your favor.Just my opinon.Maybe
someone should see where she ends up in a couple years.I'm sure if he's hold up somewhere they will
want to be together.Just a feelin i thought i'd share.I like a good mystery.

Noodle

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2005
N Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Ace 250

I personally think he crashed out in the desert, which claimed his burned-out plane and him. Sad. So much territory, it's hard to find something that small. Haven't seen any reason for him to want to disappear on purpose. Mother Nature is unforgiving in certain areas of isolation. He'll be found one day, but probably not any time soon. -Noodle

OP
OP
S

spyguy

Jan 30, 2006

Steve Fossett is back in the news again.... It seems that insurers Lloyd's of London are on the hook for a $25 Million payout and like myself aren't really convinced he's dead.
A couple of P.I.s working out of Nevada have found two credible women who claim they were having affairs with him right up to the time of his disappearance. Further digging revealed that his finances were heavily leveraged in stock and that he was worried about losing everything in a nasty divorce settlement with his wife of 38 years Peggy.
Also of note was an Airforce Lt. Col. Ryan involved in the search who said unequivocally that his plane or wreckage should've been found after an extensive search costing $1.6 Million to date.... Newspapers in London picked up on some other strange irregularites like the fact that the plane he borrowed from Barron Hilton for the flight could be EASILY DISASSEMBLED! Additionally, he left behind a transponder watch with distress signal that he'd NEVER been without on a flight before. The only man who supposedly saw him leave has never been interviewed so now the case is turning towards a criminal fraud investigation instead of a missing and endangered person.
In any case as I said in the beginning of this post back in September of '07, I still believe he's out there somewhere thumbing his nose at the world and enjoying his "retirement." Cheers Steve! :thumbsup:
HH
-spyguy

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions