Blade for bone handle remembered in basement?

Greg Lafla

May 30, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMG_1887.JPG IMG_1888.JPG IMG_1889.JPG

OP
OP
G

Greg Lafla

May 30, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kinda feel like I had another kid

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Creative ,but lacks function.

Much can be done with bone. Boiled specimens of art exist that are really creative.
Bone tools and handles seldom rely on the pith/marrow area. Fewer yet show any.
A knife handle can be an aggravation when round (they like to roll when set down) , but many are slabs from outer "sides" of intact bone.
Edges ,and short length = blisters.

Binding blade to handle with sinew and then coating with pitch takes some give in the "ferrule" area to bind. A good reason to use wood.(Otzi's knife is a good example.)

A very long tang can be pitch glued and shoved into into a boiled deer antler before wrapping.
There is a reason many unhafted knives were used, though they could be mounted into a slotted piece of wood.

In carrying a knife in a sheath , a good design had the last inch or two of the handle exposed. A fold over design made for less sewing. Complex variations between blade and handle could be worked out by wetting and pressure forming sheath and then drying it slowly ,but leaving the knife inside it to keep it's shape would mean getting the pitch and binding wet....

Mine Shaft

Apr 11, 2017
Fontana, California
Detector(s) used
NA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Greg take a break from this nonsense and go back to your "Primary Interests" PS take your bone blade and apply some good pressure against a 2x4 or some wood and get back to us with the results.

Last edited:

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think it's because New England has no flint. The residents can't get a start arrowhead hunting because there's no arrowheads made from flint. They desperately want to find points and just grasp at anything but there is little there to find. Just granite rocks. They all need to relax and take a vacation to the Midwest where the arrowheads live.

I heard a song once... "no one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun." Gary

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
Am I missing something here. I only see a Ham Hock, Rock and a Lighter.

This is not one of those meteorite threads right, cause frankly I have no idea what some of you folks see in that stuff. Last person looked like they had a half cracked pecan found in some parking lot claiming it was so special.

So what am I missing with this fair ground ham hock.

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I think it's because New England has no flint. The residents can't get a start arrowhead hunting because there's no arrowheads made from flint. They desperately want to find points and just grasp at anything but there is little there to find. Just granite rocks. They all need to relax and take a vacation to the Midwest where the arrowheads live.

I heard a song once... "no one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun." Gary

Lol. I'm not sure if you're just being sarcastic, but this is a generalization that simply is not true. It's true that we are not rich in the flints other regions enjoy, but we are hardly berift of "little to find" and we do have many nice rhyolites. Even our own source of jasper in Limerock, RI. And, FYI, flints in northern New England.

So, permit me to correct your false assumptions. Everything seen here was found in RI, which is a New England state.

Personal finds consisting of several varieties of flint, most from NY, and commonly found here, jasper, from both Pa and RI, many regional rhyolites, quartz, quartzite, argillite, and hornfels:

IMG_0688.jpg

Chalcedony, source is in Limerock, RI:

IMG_0695.PNG

Hingham Rhyolite, sourced in the Boston area:

IMG_0697.JPG

Vinelhaven Rhyolite, sourced in coastal Maine:

IMG_0696.jpg

A RI frame at the Robbins Museum in Middleborough, Ma. The largest points are in the 5+ inch range. Many nice lithics seen here:

IMG_0691.PNG

IMG_0693.jpg

IMG_0692.jpg

IMG_0694.jpg

I have long been of the opinion that collectors learn to appreciate and enjoy the lithics common to their own region. Although I would always like to find more flint, I truly like some of my own region's rhyolites more then many flints.

OP
OP
G

Greg Lafla

May 30, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As I'm likely to soon be completely ignored and thus maybe my only chance to ask a local expert, would you look for arrowheads on "rock pile " sites as I have described. My theory is that Clovis and rock pile don't mix, what have you seen.

mn9000

Oct 10, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Greg forget everything that you've learned up to this point, totally wipe your mental artifact slate completely clean & start back over at square 1 with a good beginner book on artifacts & artifact hunting. I can't remember the names at the moment (hopefully some of our other members can), but there a couple widely recommended go-to beginner books out there that can really put you on the right track.

OP
OP
G

Greg Lafla

May 30, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd like to think if I really wanted to find arrowheads I could kick up a couple. Only started looking cause I was on the clock and it's cool would never have really gotten into this otherwise. Honestly there is a fish weir across the lake so if I really wanted too would probly head that way. Fell upon this stuff by accident, and I get
Paid while
I hunt.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions