bean man

Sep 2, 2006
Central Iowa
Re: Don't hear these sayings anymore..

Some things you don't hear kids say much anymore,

Daddy's home, Daddy's home!

The ice cream man's coming!

I got to go do my paper route.

I got in a fight, but don't worry, I won.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Dad was from the hills of Aarkansas and southern Oklahoma and had the coloquial language to prove it. When I would climb up on the window sill to look out he'd say, "Git offin at". A quarter was two bits. A guy on death row got "lexicuted". The back end of the car was the "turtle hull". The car ran on 4 "tars". And of course on cold mornings he got up early to light the "far" on the gas stoves. "Iffin" you don't go to school you cant get a good job. My grandmother had two razor strops one red leather and one black leather. She called the black one Hitler and the red one Mousolini. This was right after WWII and if I misbehaved she'd threaten to get Hitler or Mousolini after me. She had six boys in the war and they all came home. They wrote her up about it in the local newspaper. She lived in a rough neighborhood and always carried a big butcher knife in her purse. Mom would always warn us when we misbehaved, "Don't make me come over there". Soon to be followed by, "Do you want a whipping"? "Yes Mom, come over here and beat me" (that's what I thought but never dared to say out loud). And of course it always hurt her more than it did me. She always used a willow switch and it left red streaks on your legs and body and stung like a bee. Dad use his belt and by the time he unhitched it from around his waist, my sister and I would already have dived under the bed. Sometimes he'd chase us from side to side with the belt but most often he'd miss. But when we came out there was heck to pay. He'd sneak up on us and whack us across the room like a bullwhip. His aim was deadly! Several other things come to mind but this is getting too long. Lots of fond and not so fond memories. Monty

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado

Monty,
I remember the two bits,
and any group of coins that totaled 25 cents was a "loose quarter"

The girls would give you a "yankee dime" (kiss)

Kids now days wouldn't have a clue.

LOL
Thom
OD

coolcash2004

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Detector(s) used
ACE 250

"You'l shoot ur eye out kid!"

-CC

joya_dorado

Feb 13, 2005
San Marcos, TX
Detector(s) used
White's MXT

Can I check your oil and tires today sir? (As the windshield was being wiped clean)

When's the last time you heard THAT?

roswellborn

Jan 9, 2006
Washington state
Detector(s) used
Ace 250

bean man said:
"Go burn the trash"

Omigawd, I forgot about that! I've paid my dues at the ol' 55 gallon drum, burnin' the trash. That ended around '63 when we moved to the "new" place (new to us, anyway).

Wow, the things you forgot you knew.

joya_dorado

Feb 13, 2005
San Marcos, TX
Detector(s) used
White's MXT

Remember washing out the trash can because there was no such thing as garbage bags and if ya didn't rinse out the can it stunk to high heaven?

Remember coming home to an unairconditioned house in the summer and sticking your head in the freezer just to cool off?

roswellborn

Jan 9, 2006
Washington state
Detector(s) used
Ace 250

joya_dorado said:
Unplug the TV... a storm's coming.

Pour that bacon grease in the can on the stove it's almost out and I got biscuits to bake.

If I catch you shootin any songbirds with that BB gun it's goin in the trash.

Now we unplug the computer instead.

Um. I still have the bacon grease can. :P

joya_dorado

Feb 13, 2005
San Marcos, TX
Detector(s) used
White's MXT

Remember cleaning out the mammoth bladders to use for carrying water for the tribe during the Great Migration every year?
Oh wait... I went too far back... sorry :P

roswellborn

Jan 9, 2006
Washington state
Detector(s) used
Ace 250

joya_dorado said:
Remember washing out the trash can because there was no such thing as garbage bags and if ya didn't rinse out the can it stunk to high heaven?

Remember coming home to an unairconditioned house in the summer and sticking your head in the freezer just to cool off?

"Freezer?" Hahahaaaahaahaaa.

Um. Sorry about that. Our "freezer" was in the top of the "icebox" (fridge) and would hold a half gallon of ice cream and 3 Banquet pot pies. And that was all! :o

Oh! "Don't just stand there in front of the icebox, you're lettin' all the cold out!" (or heat in, whichever).

joya_dorado

Feb 13, 2005
San Marcos, TX
Detector(s) used
White's MXT

Anyone remember the Big Day? The day your family got it's FIRST air conditioner and you put it in the window, plugged it in felt that first tentative blast of cool air that would forever change summertime... A memory as sweet and vivid in my mind as my first you-know-what ;)

ashleen

Bronze Member
Aug 25, 2005
NH

hahaha......
'Burn the trash'
took me all the way back to......
Pull the chain :P

B

boojagirl

Growing up my dad always told me that his dad always told him "if your old enough to stay up late at night you're old enough to get up in the morning" I use that one on my girls sometimes in the morning when they complain that they are tired after playing at night instead of going to bed.

Jim West Pa

Aug 14, 2007
Mamont Pa.
Detector(s) used
DFX

joya_dorado said:

washing the trash can ..eeeewwwwwwwwwwww, i had 3 sisters, guess who had to clean the can everytime ?
that was the days when ALL the garbagemen were balck. In our town they would dump the garbage from a 55 gal drum onto a 6' square piece o' burlap and wrap it up like santas' sack and toss it over their shoulder.All that trash "juice" (wuut), would run down their backs and leave a trail from tha backyard to the street.NO, we didn't take our garbage to the curb then.
Then came the advent of plasitc bags and folks relaized how much that ole black man was makin on the garbage truck and now it's all white folk.No wait, i remeber the driver of the truck allways bein white.
Now go warsh yer face and hands and red up yer room.
Are we havin slumgullies fer supper AGAIN ?!?!?!?

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too

comere and gimme me some sugar -- from nana -- (not white granulated stuff either).

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & a Sunray probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

"Don't pee in the road, or you'll get a stye in your eye."

"Don't play in the fire, or you'll pee the bed."

Apparently my mom was concerned about my bladder control. :D :D

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana

Mona Lisa said:
"Don't pee in the road, or you'll get a stye in your eye."

"Don't play in the fire, or you'll pee the bed."

Apparently my mom was concerned about my bladder control. :D :D

A boy was at a public pool. The lifeguard blew his whistle at the boy and yelled; "Hey! Don't pee in the pool!"

The boy replied; "But everyone else does it!"

"Not from the diving board!" Shouted the lifeguard.

bean man

Sep 2, 2006
Central Iowa

My old neighborhood pool had a sign that said, We don't swim in your toilet, so please don't pee in our pool.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread