Dont hear these sayings anymore..

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
Re: Don't hear these sayings anymore..

Mona,
I remember telling my daughter that if she ate the broccoli she would grow hair around her belly button.
A couple hours later she had a spot the size of a small plate on her belly that was red . Seems she was looking for the hair.

Diggum,
The one I remember was
"Here's a plastic bag, Go play in the road."

OD

bushlight

Aug 24, 2007
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Ace 250 hanging on the wall,Whites mxt,garrett at pro that the girlfriend uses now
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I remember all but about 5 or 6. Does that mean we're old or just grew up in the country.

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250

What memories ya'll have brought back......

bushlight said:
I remember all but about 5 or 6. Does that mean we're old or just grew up in the country.

Well, I was born and raised in Fayetteville, NC to a career Army man. Both my parents were born and bred in NYC...so I just think it was the generation of the times, not so much where you grew up!!

Ashleen, I think we are sisters...LOL...or our mothers were....I so dispised that "BECAUSE I SAID SO"...OMG and today, I still use that on my kids...I guess it's true...I have become my mother!!!!!! LOL

And Mom was famous for..."Go get my hair brush!" That is what she used to whip our butts with. She passed in 2006 and would you believe she still had that purple hair brush...my sisters and brother and I had a ceremony....we burned the brush!!!

One thing my father use to say when we would not eat all of our dinner, "There are kids in this world starving who would love to have what you are eating!" (Sometimes I wish I had to nerve to tell Daddy they can have it!!!) Remember sitting at the table eating COLD MASHED TATORS!!! There have been times when we got up for breakfast, it was COLD DINNER we had cause we refused to eat dinner!!!

Daddy saying while helping me with my math, "I just don't understand this new math. Whatever happened to 1+1=2?" And now, with helping my kids, I have found myself saying the same thing!!! I try and teach my kids how to multiply and divide and they say, "The teacher didn't show us that way, we have to do it this way!" ... OMG...stop already...how much more do these kids have to show you they know it!!! One time my son turned in a paper for a few division problems...the teacher actually wrote..."Show your work!". Needless to say, I had a few words with the teacher, as I taught my son the way I was taught in school!!! She gave him a better grade!!! :)

I remember putting my skate ring around my neck.
I remember getting our first color TV.
I remember watching "The Wonderful World of Disney" on Sunday's at 7pm.
I remember watching "Bob Hope Specials" with my Daddy...he so loved that man!
I remember "Capt Kanagroo and Mr. Greenjeans".
I remember as the oldest of 5 (4 girls and then the boy!), mowing the yard with a push mower with no grass catcher and then raking up the cut grass in putting it in the bag.
I remember Daddy bringing home a parachute from work and he and my uncle would lay it out in the back yard. We would take turns by sitting on the pouch and Daddy and my uncle would hold up the sides until the wind picked up....we would fly across the yard!!! That stopped when my brother got on it and the chute starting going UP!
I remember Daddy bringing home a tent and my best friend and I camped out...for about an hour...after seeing red lights in the sky. We thought they were UFO's, but turned out to be planes from the army/air force base LOL.
I remember "Mr. Softy"
I remember the book mobile in the summertime! Loved those Nancy Drew/Hardy Boys books.
I remember riding all over the neighborhood without a helmet and saying "Look Ma', no hands!"

I remember Grandpa saying how he walked 5 miles to and from school knee deep in snow, up hills both ways LOL

I remember when neighbors cared about what went on in the neighborhood and they looked out for everyone's kids, not just theirs.

"Wait till your father comes home!!!" (we had a long wait when Daddy was in 'Nam!)

My parents close friends were "Aunt and Uncle So and So" and their acquaintances were "Mr. and Mrs. So and So".

Leaving your windows wide open at night while sleeping and never locking your doors to enter your home, whether you were home or not!

I remember 45's, 78's, 8-tracks and cassette tapes...and the imfamous TRANSITOR RADIO that was the BOMB!

"Your so gay" (meant happy then)

Supposedly us girls had "cootie bugs"....

When "moccassions" were the shoes to wear!!!

OMG...so many things....and for one of the most famous sayings I will never forget....

THANKS FOR THE MEMORIES!!!!!!!

warsawdaddy

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2004
Edwards,Missouri
Detector(s) used
MXT - DeLeon - Gamma 6000

I'll have a cherry phosphate.

See the USA,in your Chevrolet!

'Your Hit Parade' with Snooky Lansen,Dorothy Collins,Geisel McKinsey'

I hope 'Merry Christmas' or 'I love you' never fall into this thread!And with that,I'll say,'Goodnight,Mrs Callahan,wherever you are'

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado

Boy,

Jimmy D.

Sure could rock the house.

What about
" Anyone who hates small dogs and children, can't be all bad."
W.C. Fields, Where are you when we need you>???
And Groucho too.?

OD

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too

no wonder it sounds funny you got the record speed set at 78 instead of 33 ---

pass me that 8 track tape -- I want to listen to something while I drive

the phone cords all knotted up again

I have to type up a report for school tonight

I got $20 just enough for a date --- humm just enough to fill up the 1979 buick skylark (@ 50 cents a gallon with a 20 gallon tank ) and get 2 mcdonalds combo meals and 2 tickets to the drive in -- ($10 in gas--$2.50 each for the meals and $2.50 each for the movies)

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado

Ivan,

I must really be old. $10.00 in gas would fill it up twice easy.

But I started driving when the price was 31.9 cents per gallon

Yessir I must be old
LOL

warsawdaddy

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2004
Edwards,Missouri
Detector(s) used
MXT - DeLeon - Gamma 6000

Old Dog said:
Ivan,

I must really be old. $10.00 in gas would fill it up twice easy.

But I started driving when the price was 31.9 cents per gallon

Yessir I must be old
LOL

Not old! It was .16 a gallon(.17 for ethyel) when I started!Have bought it for .09 during a gas war.I even remember the 'red' innertubes!(real rubber)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions