Sometimes life just happens, and it's beyond our control = injured

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
You're in the water and there's all kinds of people all around you. There were at least 3 guys in the water today throwing a football.

In 1996 a coworker and I were returning from lunch, sitting at a stoplight. A fellow came over the hill behind us and nailed us in the rear. He hit us so hard, my seat back broke and my neck hit that thing supposed to protect my neck. I was out of work for five months, in therapy for those months before I was released to work. It took years to get that "kink out of my neck", always a nagging pain.

Steve and I went in the water today, and I got a whole two cents. I guess it's because it's early water thus far this season. Steve did better than I did.

There were at least 3 high schoolers playing football in the water with a big guy throwing the ball to the others. I was slowly swinging along with scoop in left arm & detector in my right arm. All of a sudden I was stunned, the football hit me square in the middle of the back of my neck vertebrae. I'd have gone down if I hadn't been supported by the scoop and the detector.

When I opened my eyes one of the receivers said "he didn't mean it". I managed to turn around and face the thrower. He said "I'm sorry". Steve saw the whole thing and yelled "it was an accident". I don't know that I was enraged, I was just completely stunned. But I raised my scoop out of the water and pointed it to the thrower. I was angry and I was kinda numb at the moment.

The boys immediately left. I tried to hunt a bit more, but just couldn't. I got out of the water and Steve said it was time to quit so he drove us home. It's about 3 hours later now, sitting at my desk, took some pain pills. I'm afraid here I go again with my neck. My brother was here when I came home - told him I was going to bed, so he went home.

The only wisdom I can provide on this is that if you're in the water, or on the dirt, if there's something going on around you with others, you can suddenly be a victim.

My neck hurts. I pray this is not the beginning of another round of years of neck pain. Whatever, I'll be okay. I just always accept what is.

I guess I post this just as a reminder, sometimes there's things going on around us, and it is better to leave for our own safety.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
The heck!
Call the cops and an ambulance. Tell them to send the bill to the idiot who accidentally assaulted you.

You were in no condition to tell the a-%#$@ it was his turn for an accident next. Lucky for his neck.

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hope you feel better in the morning. We certainly can't take the hits we took as youngsters , that's for sure. A little R&R is in order.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Hope it's something minor. All the best to you.

OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
The heck!
Call the cops and an ambulance. Tell them to send the bill to the idiot who accidentally assaulted you.
You were in no condition to tell the a-%#$@ it was his turn for an accident next. Lucky for his neck.

I have no idea who they were, and they certainly didn't stop to take credit.

They were high schoolers. I'll be okay whatever. It is always best to be clean of spirit. Accidents do happen = we just have to be aware of all around us. Maybe I walked right into it, and they certainly didn't aim to hit me. Who knows?

Just another day along our individual journey. I can imagine how those guys feel right now in their regret. I doubt they'll ever do anything like that again in concern for those around them. That guy throwing was in my opinion certainly an athlete, that ball was a spiral, wasn't a sloppy throw except in direction. Who's to say I didn't step into it?

It was an accident. It's up to us to foresee choices as well and stay out of those kind of circumstances.

Pain pills do work :) Tomorrow is another different day.

Stay safe.

tokameel

May 20, 2012
Mequon, Wi
Detector(s) used
In 1974- White.
Now a Garrett Ace 250.
8/30/12 using a Zircon m40 Stud Finder as a hand held pin pointer.
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey Deepseeker, I will keep you in my prayers and I thank you for your service to our country!

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
when I hurt my back falling off a forklift, I got a $99 inversion table on amazon
it helps, stretches things out

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll pray for you. Hopefully it's a temporary thing. Years ago my neck was really really bad. I had a pear tree and that year it was loaded with pears. I got some guys from the church over and we harvested 5 gallons and gave them to the homeless. While getting the pears off the tree, one came down and hit me square in the back of the neck. It hit just right and the neck made an awful crack and went back to where it was supposed to be. Gave me 10 years of relief.

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Deepseeker, you are gentle and forgiving soul. Or, you're concussed. You're writing like you're stunned, if that sounds right. I'm with The Chairman, find out who those guys were. Accident my ass! He may not have meant to hit you, but he sure as hell meant to drop one by you, for effect.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hang in there buddy. I'll pray for you - you pray for me (herniated disc C5-C6).:skullflag:

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is why I don't detect near people. When the sun comes up, an hour later I'm gone. Not to mention I'm tired of paying out of pocket for skin cancer removals. I hope your neck is okay and you're not forced into eating pain pills daily for it. They suck and I think they end up prolonging the pain the longer you take them, imho.

OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Good morning all, and thank you each for your prayers. I have no anger in me.

I'm sore, but I felt my neck with my fingers and found no anomalies with my fingers, and no specific pain points. I can turn my head to the left in about the normal range. Turning to the right is just a little bit short of range but not painful. My assessment would be a little muscle bruising and no skeletal damage. Our Father watched over me. I should be able to function normally, sore for a bit, but I'll be back!

I'm thinking my incident was a blessing. And the thrower certainly learned a lesson from his carelessness. The water was fairly crowded and a whole lot of the crowd was children. I'd rather I be hit than any of them. Maybe in the future those high school boys won't be playing football in crowded water anymore.

OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Hang in there buddy. I'll pray for you - you pray for me (herniated disc C5-C6).:skullflag:

Good morning Terry! C5-C6 is exactly my damage from the auto accident!

Kray, I don't think that boy had the skill to nail me specifically. His mistake was throwing in crowded water.

Steve & I don't normally hunt in crowded water. The last time we hit that spot there wasn't a crowd, and I found two class rings. We drove an hour and a half to get there, nice - sunny and hot out - so we got in that water. Steve loves children, they're drawn to him. Me, I'm kinda a recluse, navigate around them.

Smokey, sounds like you got a pear from heaven!

As for pain pills, I'd been saving them up for years to handle incidents like that. If I were a "user" I wouldn't have had them here and handy! This morning I feel so much better that I won't be needing to take another. They'll be ready for the next serious need.

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good news. You're tougher than you thought. Happy you can think the best of others.

Hawks88

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Niagara falls
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DeepseekerADS..... I hunt in the water most of the time at a few local beaches and found that by 10am the beach starts to get crowded and yes lots of ball throwing and frisbee throwing so I try to be there by 6am and gone by 10am. I sincerely hope you’re feeling better. Take care.

digger460

Silver Member
Sep 19, 2015
Southeast Grundy, Illinois
Detector(s) used
EQ600, EQ800 and a Carrot
Primary Interest:
Other
I'll pray for you. Hopefully it's a temporary thing. Years ago my neck was really really bad. I had a pear tree and that year it was loaded with pears. I got some guys from the church over and we harvested 5 gallons and gave them to the homeless. While getting the pears off the tree, one came down and hit me square in the back of the neck. It hit just right and the neck made an awful crack and went back to where it was supposed to be. Gave me 10 years of relief.

Dang, how big are those peaches?:icon_scratch:

Vhoov

May 9, 2016
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, AT Pro, Pro pointer AT,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My first beach detecting attempt was this past weekend. I almost caught an entrenching tool to the head. Kids were throwing it at the seagulls....of course while mom was busy on her phone saying stop occasionally.

Last edited:

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
my detecting injures include falling in multiple holes made by animals,tripping on logs,falling onto thorn vines hope you feel better

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions