Sometimes life just happens, and its beyond our control = injured
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: Sometimes life just happens, and its beyond our control = injured

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2013
    SW, VA - Bull Mountain
    CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
    17617 times
    Digging in the dirt & scooping in the water!

Sometimes life just happens, and it's beyond our control = injured

You're in the water and there's all kinds of people all around you. There were at least 3 guys in the water today throwing a football.

In 1996 a coworker and I were returning from lunch, sitting at a stoplight. A fellow came over the hill behind us and nailed us in the rear. He hit us so hard, my seat back broke and my neck hit that thing supposed to protect my neck. I was out of work for five months, in therapy for those months before I was released to work. It took years to get that "kink out of my neck", always a nagging pain.

Steve and I went in the water today, and I got a whole two cents. I guess it's because it's early water thus far this season. Steve did better than I did.

There were at least 3 high schoolers playing football in the water with a big guy throwing the ball to the others. I was slowly swinging along with scoop in left arm & detector in my right arm. All of a sudden I was stunned, the football hit me square in the middle of the back of my neck vertebrae. I'd have gone down if I hadn't been supported by the scoop and the detector.

When I opened my eyes one of the receivers said "he didn't mean it". I managed to turn around and face the thrower. He said "I'm sorry". Steve saw the whole thing and yelled "it was an accident". I don't know that I was enraged, I was just completely stunned. But I raised my scoop out of the water and pointed it to the thrower. I was angry and I was kinda numb at the moment.

The boys immediately left. I tried to hunt a bit more, but just couldn't. I got out of the water and Steve said it was time to quit so he drove us home. It's about 3 hours later now, sitting at my desk, took some pain pills. I'm afraid here I go again with my neck. My brother was here when I came home - told him I was going to bed, so he went home.

The only wisdom I can provide on this is that if you're in the water, or on the dirt, if there's something going on around you with others, you can suddenly be a victim.

My neck hurts. I pray this is not the beginning of another round of years of neck pain. Whatever, I'll be okay. I just always accept what is.

I guess I post this just as a reminder, sometimes there's things going on around us, and it is better to leave for our own safety.
    Republic of Vietnam 10/69 - 3/71, Cambodia April 27, 1970 on a mountain top with HUGE scorpions

"'He jests at scars who never felt a wound'" c.s.lewis - 1940

The Ten Commandments: http://www.godstenlaws.com/ten-comma.../#.UdAz65yynZg

The Bill of Rights: http://billofrightsinstitute.org/fou...ill-of-rights/

The Constitution: http://www.archives.gov/exhibits/cha...ranscript.html

Charter Member
    us
    "WP"

May 2012
    19207 times
    The heck!
    Call the cops and an ambulance. Tell them to send the bill to the idiot who accidentally assaulted you.

You were in no condition to tell the a-%#$@ it was his turn for an accident next. Lucky for his neck.
    Kace, DeepseekerADS and Butter Hat like this.

us
    Oct 2014
    florida
    4066 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Hope you feel better in the morning. We certainly can't take the hits we took as youngsters , that's for sure. A little R&R is in order.
    Loco-Digger and DeepseekerADS like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Rook

Nov 2013
    Mississippi
    XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
    34833 times
    Hope it's something minor. All the best to you.
    DeepseekerADS likes this.
    When you come to a fork in the road, take it.

Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2013
    SW, VA - Bull Mountain
    CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
    17617 times
    Quote Originally Posted by releventchair View Post
    The heck!
    Call the cops and an ambulance. Tell them to send the bill to the idiot who accidentally assaulted you.
    You were in no condition to tell the a-%#$@ it was his turn for an accident next. Lucky for his neck.
    I have no idea who they were, and they certainly didn't stop to take credit.

They were high schoolers. I'll be okay whatever. It is always best to be clean of spirit. Accidents do happen = we just have to be aware of all around us. Maybe I walked right into it, and they certainly didn't aim to hit me. Who knows?

Just another day along our individual journey. I can imagine how those guys feel right now in their regret. I doubt they'll ever do anything like that again in concern for those around them. That guy throwing was in my opinion certainly an athlete, that ball was a spiral, wasn't a sloppy throw except in direction. Who's to say I didn't step into it?

It was an accident. It's up to us to foresee choices as well and stay out of those kind of circumstances.

Pain pills do work Tomorrow is another different day.

Stay safe.
    Kray Gelder, Kace, Hawks88 and 2 others like this.
    Republic of Vietnam 10/69 - 3/71, Cambodia April 27, 1970 on a mountain top with HUGE scorpions

Charter Member
    us
    tokameel

May 2012
    Mequon, Wi
    In 1974- White. Now a Garrett Ace 250. 8/30/12 using a Zircon m40 Stud Finder as a hand held pin pointer.
    336 times
    Looking for Error coins from the bank. Update: I can MD using my wheelchair!
    Hey Deepseeker, I will keep you in my prayers and I thank you for your service to our country!
    i support little league Roller Ball

You can lead a horse to Washington but you can not make him think.

2 Ys U R, 2 Ys U B, I C U R 2 Ys 4 ME

Dec 2012
    MXT-PRO Sandshark
    13062 times
    Metal Detecting
    when I hurt my back falling off a forklift, I got a $99 inversion table on amazon
    it helps, stretches things out
    Iím the only one of me, baby thatís the fun of me.. / brendon urie

DONíT TRUST WHITEY / Navin Johnson

EVERYTHINGS GONNA BE ALRIGHT, EVERYTHINGS GONNA BE OK.
    ITS GONNA BE A GOOD GOOD LIFE, THATíS WHAT MY THERAPISTS SAY. / Bebe rexha

IF YOUíRE LOST AND ALONE, OR YOUíRE SINKING LIKE A STONE, CARRY ON / Fun

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2012
    Maryland
    XP Deus, Tesoro Cibola
    22817 times
    Banner Finds (7)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    I'll pray for you. Hopefully it's a temporary thing. Years ago my neck was really really bad. I had a pear tree and that year it was loaded with pears. I got some guys from the church over and we harvested 5 gallons and gave them to the homeless. While getting the pears off the tree, one came down and hit me square in the back of the neck. It hit just right and the neck made an awful crack and went back to where it was supposed to be. Gave me 10 years of relief.

Charter Member
    us
    papa

Feb 2017
    Georgetown, SC
    Fisher F75
    6534 times
    Metal Detecting
    Deepseeker, you are gentle and forgiving soul. Or, you're concussed. You're writing like you're stunned, if that sounds right. I'm with The Chairman, find out who those guys were. Accident my ass! He may not have meant to hit you, but he sure as hell meant to drop one by you, for effect.

"And so the population was gradually led into the demoralising temptations of arcades, baths, and sumptuous banquets. The unsuspecting Britons spoke of such novelties as 'civilisation', when in fact they were only a feature of their enslavement." Tacitus, Roman Senator and Historian, written AD 98.

Charter Member
    us
    TerrysKnifeStore.com

May 2010
    White Plains, New York
    Minelab GPZ 7000; Equinox 600 -- Teknetics EuroTek PRO -- Grave Digger Tools Nemesis shovel, Sidekick hand digger -- Bunk's Hermit Pick
    22479 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Hang in there buddy. I'll pray for you - you pray for me (herniated disc C5-C6).

Charter Member
    um
    Jul 2004
    South Florida Cesspool
    Tesoro Sand Shark, Whites M6
    9864 times
    This is why I don't detect near people. When the sun comes up, an hour later I'm gone. Not to mention I'm tired of paying out of pocket for skin cancer removals. I hope your neck is okay and you're not forced into eating pain pills daily for it. They suck and I think they end up prolonging the pain the longer you take them, imho.

Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2013
    SW, VA - Bull Mountain
    17617 times
    Good morning all, and thank you each for your prayers. I have no anger in me.

I'm sore, but I felt my neck with my fingers and found no anomalies with my fingers, and no specific pain points. I can turn my head to the left in about the normal range. Turning to the right is just a little bit short of range but not painful. My assessment would be a little muscle bruising and no skeletal damage. Our Father watched over me. I should be able to function normally, sore for a bit, but I'll be back!

I'm thinking my incident was a blessing. And the thrower certainly learned a lesson from his carelessness. The water was fairly crowded and a whole lot of the crowd was children. I'd rather I be hit than any of them. Maybe in the future those high school boys won't be playing football in crowded water anymore.
    Kray Gelder and Hawks88 like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2013
    SW, VA - Bull Mountain
    17617 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry Soloman View Post
    Hang in there buddy. I'll pray for you - you pray for me (herniated disc C5-C6).
    Good morning Terry! C5-C6 is exactly my damage from the auto accident!

Kray, I don't think that boy had the skill to nail me specifically. His mistake was throwing in crowded water.

Steve & I don't normally hunt in crowded water. The last time we hit that spot there wasn't a crowd, and I found two class rings. We drove an hour and a half to get there, nice - sunny and hot out - so we got in that water. Steve loves children, they're drawn to him. Me, I'm kinda a recluse, navigate around them.

Smokey, sounds like you got a pear from heaven!

As for pain pills, I'd been saving them up for years to handle incidents like that. If I were a "user" I wouldn't have had them here and handy! This morning I feel so much better that I won't be needing to take another. They'll be ready for the next serious need.
    diggummup likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    papa

Feb 2017
    Georgetown, SC
    Fisher F75
    6534 times
    Metal Detecting
    Good news. You're tougher than you thought. Happy you can think the best of others.

"And so the population was gradually led into the demoralising temptations of arcades, baths, and sumptuous banquets. The unsuspecting Britons spoke of such novelties as 'civilisation', when in fact they were only a feature of their enslavement." Tacitus, Roman Senator and Historian, written AD 98.

ca
    Hawks88

Aug 2012
    Niagara falls
    Equinox 600, fisher gold bug pro.
    10290 times
    DeepseekerADS..... I hunt in the water most of the time at a few local beaches and found that by 10am the beach starts to get crowded and yes lots of ball throwing and frisbee throwing so I try to be there by 6am and gone by 10am. I sincerely hope you’re feeling better. Take care.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links