I was wondering about what to do with my cleaned clad finds :)

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Restaurant faces backlash after shaming teen who paid bill with quarters | Fox News

By Alexandra Deabler | Fox News

A restaurant was slammed on Facebook after commenting on a teen who paid his bill mostly with quarters.

Beer 88 in Lynchburg, Va., posted a photo on a now-deleted Facebook page, with the caption “’How NOT to pay at a restaurant,’” along with the hashtags “we are beer 88 not a coinstar,” and “no home training.”

The joking Facebook post did not go over well with Beer 88’s audience, sparking major backlash against the restaurant with customers – especially Cohen Naulty, the 17-year-old who had paid his $45 restaurant bill and left a $10 tip with a $20 bill, and quarters.

“It’s just U.S. currency," Naulty told ABC News affiliate WSET in Lynchburg. "I’m allowed to use it. It’s not Illegal. I’m not doing anything wrong.”

Naulty told the outlet he was at the restaurant because he wanted to take the tips he earned as a server at Country Kitchen and treat his friends to a meal. His friends were just as surprised as he was to learn their payment method had been put up on Facebook.

"We couldn't believe they posted it on Facebook," one of his friends said to WSET.

Beer 88 responded to the criticism with a statement, which has also been removed, ABC News reported:

“In response to our earlier post, it was posted as a joke, intended as a joke and should be taken as a joke," Beer 88 wrote on its Facebook page. "It was posted as a light-hearted way of saying that something like this can be annoying to people that work in the restaurant/retail industry. In no way did we publicly shame ANYONE for paying OR tipping. We try to keep our page funny and relatable. And had no idea that this would be offensive to anyone.”

However, Naulty and his family did not find the post funny.

“They said we didn’t have any home training," said another one of Naulty’s friends to WSET. "That was dirty. That was one their hashtags was #nohometraining."

“If anybody met Cohen, they know it couldn’t be farthest things from the truth," Kim Naulty, Cohen’s mother, told WSET. "And, you know, he’s a good kid.”

Beer 88 owner Yao Liu told WSET she has been receiving many threats since the post went up and that she apologizes for the post.

“On that part, yes, I do apologize," Liu told WSET.

Liu and several customers feel the post has been blown out of proportion. One patron said she hoped the issue resolves itself because the restaurant owners are “friendly people.”

“People kind of hopped on the hate train," Beer 88 supporter Carol Henning told KSET, "which seems to be happening these days."

Beer 88 did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Though Naulty told WSET he did not think he would return to the restaurant, he said the incident has made him want to create something positive.

“I love paying for people’s meals even if I have to scrape together my last quarters to do so. This whole thing made me realize how much I love doing this and why...,” Naulty wrote on a Facebook page called “The Quarter Boy.”

Naulty has started a fundraiser campaign aimed at treating someone “once a week” to a free meal.

“We will post videos so that you can see too how big a change just a little ‘change’ can make,” Naulty wrote of his new initiative.

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
it is US currency and he is allowed to use it i would go do it again for just for fun

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ahhhhh Social Media....and this is why I don’t deal with that crap.

great story!

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
My solution to high gas prices (back when it hit $4.00/gal) was to use my dumps (from coin roll hunting) to pay for my gas.

Really ticked off the folks at the payment counter.

Hey, if I'm going to tote the heavy burden of high prices, they can tote my coins back to the bank for me. I enjoyed counting out almost $70.00 in Kennedy halves to pay for a tank of gas in my Ford Ranger.

BTW, (and this is important) NEVER PAY WITH ROLLED COINS! Always pay with loose ones, even in a restaurant setting.

As Gold Boy said, it is U.S. Currency and therefore "legal tender for all debts - public and private."

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I turn in my clad when it piles up and I buy Gold and silver bullion
It stores better that way Which is why I prefer to collect watches not cars!

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Great ,now I can quit leaving the dollar in quarters for a tip to go with one dollar bills when I'm short.
That'll help.
Crazy people......

I used to work in a restaurant. Not a cheap one.
When some one tipped workers beyond servers it was a gesture that was well received. Had it been in coin ,So what? Some one acknowledged good service.
I still tip a cook on occasion. Have never done so with change but that is where the waiter/waitress will most often encounter some quarters to get to the amount I want to give them.
It's how much ,not what denomination!

Service today averages poor. As well as institutional food stocks being the norm.
I'd be willing to critique the restaurant in the article, for a small fee. Coins as payment would be welcomed. With a laugh.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The best thing I found was that CoinStar doestn charge you for using it for Amazon Credit. I typically pull in around 350-500 bucks a year.....so around Xmas time, it helps out tremendously for the kiddos gifts.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like giving all the coins to a clerk there just an employee why make him suffer. Reallly

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
? Quarters ? Cool .

I like to dump Penny's to pay for the debt , (up to 50 Cent).

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It is bonehead ownership like this that helped me put my children though college, as a public relations professional. A dumb mistake made worse. Instead of being used to create good feelings about the restaurant after a spin cycle by a professional in a new release, the owner tripped and fell over his first one with a lame excuse. Typical. :skullflag:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread