Dude crushed by car - sorry no pics

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
St. Charles County, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My girlfriend and I were headed to the grocery store yesterday but I wanted to make a stop at a home just inside my neighborhood because the resident had recently bought a Triumph motorcycle and I wanted to introduce myself and check out the bike.
As I'm walking up the sidewalk to Triumph guys place I hear a female scream then she yelled, 'Oh my God, you ran over him!' The commotion was a couple doors up the way but this is a mobile home community so it was only about 40-50' since we are all spaced very close to each other.
Battling an upper respiratory infection and an abdominal hernia, I sprinted to the home where the scream originated.
A fairly large guy had become pinned under an old Ford Taurus while he was working under it. The car was on stands with the wheels removed when someone apparently got into the vehicle to start it. The car lurched forward and fell on the poor guy.
There were three other guys and the victims girlfriend present and had just gotten him out from under the car when I got there and man oh man, he was messed up. There were lacerations and blood all over his face, his shirt was ripped and bloody and the guy was sitting on the ground doubling over in agony with his arm clutching his ribcage.
His girlfriend was freaking out and hyperventilating and yelling to the other guys that one of them needed to squeeze her. WHAT?? Your boyfriend is seriously injured and YOU need attention?
All four of them were freaking out to some extent so I decided it was time for some clear thinking. I already had my phone out and had 911 punched in ready to hit 'dial'. A couple of the guys were saying, 'no, he's okay'. Wrong answer. The victim was looking at me by this time and he couldn't speak but I swear his eyes were pleading for me to help as it was plain that his friends and girlfriend were as worthless as teats on a boar hog.
I took charge and told them that he most likely had busted ribs and internal injuries along with a possible concussion and if they don't get him into a car and on the way to the hospital RIGHT NOW, I was calling 911.
I pointed at the bimbo and said, 'YOU! THIS IS NOT ABOUT YOU! I then told the guy next to her that she was hyperventilating so go in the house and find a paper lunch bag for her to breathe into. He was also a big dude and gave me a look that suggested he was not in the habit of taking orders from a scrawny stranger so he did begrudgingly go inside to find her a bag.
By this time they had loaded the guy into a car and was on their way to the ER.
In hindsight I probably should have gone ahead and called 911 but they did take the guy to the hospital wheras before I arrived their plan was to let him walk it off.

Oh, I did manage to talk to Triumph guy. It's a 2003 Bonneville America that he had just purchased the week before.

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sounds like a terrible accident. Also sounds like a collection of stupid people. Good thing you got involved, you may have saved his life.

OP
OP
GopherDaGold

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
St. Charles County, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My girlfriend thinks it was fortuitous that we'd waited until then to talk to Triumph guy. I live in a mobile home park and can honestly say that this group defines the term trailer-trash. They were probably too scared to help him properly because of warrants, drugs etc. They looked to be the type.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I'm sure all our best wishes to out to him. Can't imagine his pain.

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My girlfriend thinks it was fortuitous that we'd waited until then to talk to Triumph guy. I live in a mobile home park and can honestly say that this group defines the term trailer-trash. They were probably too scared to help him properly because of warrants, drugs etc. They looked to be the type.

Yup. NEVER call the authorities. He probably survived the last time they dropped a car on him.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread