What is Namaste

johnsonraider

Tenderfoot
Aug 4, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Oxford dictionary defines the term Namaste as ā€œa respectful greeting said when giving a namaskarā€. It acknowledges the wordā€™s ties to Hindi as well as to the mother of all languages, ā€˜Sanskritā€™, which also happens to have given roots to words in common English usage such as ā€˜karmaā€™ and ā€˜nirvanaā€™. I guess, this means that it is safe to say that the popularity of this term, ā€˜Namasteā€™ which has south-east Asian origins isnā€™t groundbreaking. Indians, particularly, use both ā€˜ Namaste ā€™ and ā€˜Namaskarā€™ as almost universally applicable greetings. You could say that it is the western equivalent of a friendly handshake, but this traditional greeting needs to be supplemented with a long line of tradition and history associated with it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
This comes to mind......

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    156.3 KB · Views: 98

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
St. Charles County, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My daughter has a coffee cup that says, Namaste...in bed.

Hillbilly Prince

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2018
SW Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett All Terrain Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was not aware of this greeting. So I learned something.
*edit: I see I learned the tradional greeting of the
Insufferable Man-Bun Tribe*

Last edited:

RevAndy

Jun 16, 2018
RI
Detector(s) used
Teknetic 4000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
" Namaste", my spiritual soul greets your spiritual soul.....

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Oh yeah?

Well "Howdy" was first recorded as a verbal greeting in England in 1563 (according to the Oxford English Dictionary).

mrwilburino

May 7, 2010
Northern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Teknetics, Minelab, XP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think think this may have been spam-aste before the mods deleted the links.

Plumbata

Bronze Member
May 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Namaste is lingo misappropriated and utilized by insufferable trendies and hipsters to signal to each-other that they share the delusion that they are spiritually transcendent and philosophically superior to those who don't deploy such indicators of brainless superficial cosmopolitanism. The rot runs deep in urban coastal regions but thankfully it hasn't metastasized into Wyoming... yet...

SeabeeRon

Bronze Member
Aug 5, 2007
Santa Cruz, CA.
Detector(s) used
ML Sov GT; Whites MXT & Surf PI Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Namaste is lingo misappropriated and utilized by insufferable trendies and hipsters to signal to each-other that they share the delusion that they are spiritually transcendent and philosophically superior to those who don't deploy such indicators of brainless superficial cosmopolitanism. The rot runs deep in urban coastal regions but thankfully it hasn't metastasized into Wyoming... yet...

:hello:Namaste from an "urban coastal region". :tongue3:

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys please keep religious or political comments out of General discussion. You may go to the Charter members section and preach all you wish.
Thank you!

chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab Soveriegn XS 2
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

give it time

chub

ecmjamsit

Dec 2, 2007
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster GMT, GMII,Whites Sierra Super Trac, Ace250, Teknetics Gamma 6000, Whites Pinpointer,Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If a metal detector can't detect, it isn't worth anything. My philosophy anymore. I know, I'm a stick in the mud...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread