Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree7Likes
  • 2 Post By andygold
  • 1 Post By Chadeaux
  • 1 Post By andygold
  • 1 Post By Chadeaux
  • 1 Post By rook3434
  • 1 Post By A2coins

Thread: What is this device?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Mar 2017
    Northern NY, USA
    Minelab Equinox 800, HF 9-Function md, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT PP
    126 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

What is this device?

Trying to figure out what this item is. It was found in an old desk. On one end is what appears to be an antique drafting style ink pen (the type that you dipped into an ink-well... With a screw to adjust the line thickness). This pen is on an articulated lever that rides on a cam gear. There is an interchangable brass cam gear situated below the silver colored gear. There are 2 other brass cam gears in the set. Stamped or engraved into the diamond-turned backing plate are the initials, G.W. or W.G.
    Any thoughts as to what this is, and what it might have attached to?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0913182048.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	3.71 MB 
ID:	1632162

Name:	0913182125_HDR.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	3.33 MB 
ID:	1632164

Name:	0913182125.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	4.22 MB 
ID:	1632165

Name:	0913182126.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	4.42 MB 
ID:	1632166
    Last edited by andygold; Sep 14, 2018 at 08:06 PM.
    roy2bears and A2coins like this.
    Using my Harbor Freight metal detector I found a cache of coins in a couple of spots situated within a few feet of each other.
    I ended up with 27 Walking Liberty half dollar coins, 97 Mercury dimes, 1 Morgan dollar, 1 Barber Half Dollar, 3 Liberty Head nickels, 1 Buffalo nickel, 15 mixed pennies (steel,& wheat), 2 flattened pennies with religious messages, and other silver US quarters and dimes, and 8 foreign coins. Detector has paid for itself

Just received a Minelab Equinox 800

us
    Tribal Member of United Houma Nation -

Sep 2011
    Southeast Arkansas
    Ace 250
    5881 times
    Cache Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by andygold View Post
    Trying to figure out what this item is. It was found in an old desk. On one end is what appears to be an antique drafting style ink pen (the type that you dipped into an ink-well... With a screw to adjust the line thickness). This pen is on an articulated lever that rides on a cam gear. There is an interchangable brass cam gear situated below the silver colored gear. There are 2 other brass cam gears in the set. Stamped or engraved into the diamond-turned backing plate are the initials, G.W. or W.G.
    Any thoughts as to what this is, and what it might have attached to?
    I think you have an early "Autopen" apparatus for signing documents. Many politicians use one to sign documents mechanically. Do a Google search for Autopen, then click images to see a few modern versions which are not all that dissimilar from what you have.

I would venture that the cam with the number 2 is in the machine.
    Terry Soloman likes this.
    Speaking of the stars: " "To whom can you liken me to make me his equal?” says the Holy One.' “Lift up your eyes to heaven and see. who has created these things? It is the One who brings out their army by number; HE calls them all by name. Because of his vast dynamic energy and his awe-inspiring power, not one of them is missing." " --- Isaiah 40:25,26

A few of my favorite pix: https://www.500px.com/ccjr221

us
    Mar 2017
    Northern NY, USA
    Minelab Equinox 800, HF 9-Function md, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT PP
    126 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Chadeaux View Post
    I think you have an early "Autopen" apparatus for signing documents. Many politicians use one to sign documents mechanically. Do a Google search for Autopen, then click images to see a few modern versions which are not all that dissimilar from what you have.

I would venture that the cam with the number 2 is in the machine.
    Chadeaux, thanks for looking and the suggestion! With your info, I looked up early Autopen, Robot Writer, and Long Pen devices. Most of those were based upon pantographs, like what I used as a kid to enlarge drawings. This device appears to move solely in one axis and not in X, Y, and Z (to raise the pen) that would be needed to make a signature. I guess if this device were locked into another device that moved on the other axis', then I guess it could write a signature. At this point, after thinking about it a bit, I'm not even sure if the pen is actually designed for ink. It is definitely shaped like my antique drafting tools, but I guess it could hold and dispense any liquid, including lubricants.
    You are correct that cam 2 or gear 2 is installed into the device. I tried to show that in the images above with the device on its side, but it came out a bit blurry.
    The thing is... the bumps on the cams/gears are all of a constantly repeating pattern, and not a matrix that would be needed for a signature. So, even though I'm leaning away from it belonging to a signature machine I have learned a great deal about Autopens, something I previous did not know existed! Thanks again!
    A2coins likes this.
    Using my Harbor Freight metal detector I found a cache of coins in a couple of spots situated within a few feet of each other.
    I ended up with 27 Walking Liberty half dollar coins, 97 Mercury dimes, 1 Morgan dollar, 1 Barber Half Dollar, 3 Liberty Head nickels, 1 Buffalo nickel, 15 mixed pennies (steel,& wheat), 2 flattened pennies with religious messages, and other silver US quarters and dimes, and 8 foreign coins. Detector has paid for itself

Just received a Minelab Equinox 800

us
    Tribal Member of United Houma Nation -

Sep 2011
    Southeast Arkansas
    Ace 250
    5881 times
    Cache Hunting
    I think I found the owner of that logo, "Westmoreland Glass Company" (google them and you'll see the engraved WG on your apparatus.). Perhaps it was used in their production.
    A2coins likes this.
    Speaking of the stars: " "To whom can you liken me to make me his equal?” says the Holy One.' “Lift up your eyes to heaven and see. who has created these things? It is the One who brings out their army by number; HE calls them all by name. Because of his vast dynamic energy and his awe-inspiring power, not one of them is missing." " --- Isaiah 40:25,26

A few of my favorite pix: https://www.500px.com/ccjr221

Charter Member
    us
    Rook

Nov 2013
    Mississippi
    XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
    27169 times
    I like. I could sign all my bill checks without getting hand cramps.
    A2coins likes this.
    When you come to a fork in the road, take it.

Charter Member
    us
    Tommy

Dec 2015
    Ann Arbor
    Equinox 800
    25888 times
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    nice relic
    rook3434 likes this.
    Still Available ​Approved TreasureNet Stickers
    .:: $3.00 for 11" X 3" Bumper Sticker ::.
    .:: $2.25 for 1" x 4" Detector Sticker ::.
    (Free Shipping)

SEE: TreasureNet Bumper Stickers

Sponsored Links