Mar 29, 2017
Northern NY, USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800,
HF 9-Function md,
Garrett Pro-Pointer AT PP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Trying to figure out what this item is. It was found in an old desk. On one end is what appears to be an antique drafting style ink pen (the type that you dipped into an ink-well... With a screw to adjust the line thickness). This pen is on an articulated lever that rides on a cam gear. There is an interchangable brass cam gear situated below the silver colored gear. There are 2 other brass cam gears in the set. Stamped or engraved into the diamond-turned backing plate are the initials, G.W. or W.G.
Any thoughts as to what this is, and what it might have attached to?

0913182048.jpg

0913182125_HDR.jpg

0913182125.jpg

0913182126.jpg

Last edited:

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Trying to figure out what this item is. It was found in an old desk. On one end is what appears to be an antique drafting style ink pen (the type that you dipped into an ink-well... With a screw to adjust the line thickness). This pen is on an articulated lever that rides on a cam gear. There is an interchangable brass cam gear situated below the silver colored gear. There are 2 other brass cam gears in the set. Stamped or engraved into the diamond-turned backing plate are the initials, G.W. or W.G.
Any thoughts as to what this is, and what it might have attached to?

I think you have an early "Autopen" apparatus for signing documents. Many politicians use one to sign documents mechanically. Do a Google search for Autopen, then click images to see a few modern versions which are not all that dissimilar from what you have.

I would venture that the cam with the number 2 is in the machine.

OP
OP
A

andygold

Mar 29, 2017
Northern NY, USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800,
HF 9-Function md,
Garrett Pro-Pointer AT PP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you have an early "Autopen" apparatus for signing documents. Many politicians use one to sign documents mechanically. Do a Google search for Autopen, then click images to see a few modern versions which are not all that dissimilar from what you have.

I would venture that the cam with the number 2 is in the machine.

Chadeaux, thanks for looking and the suggestion! With your info, I looked up early Autopen, Robot Writer, and Long Pen devices. Most of those were based upon pantographs, like what I used as a kid to enlarge drawings. This device appears to move solely in one axis and not in X, Y, and Z (to raise the pen) that would be needed to make a signature. I guess if this device were locked into another device that moved on the other axis', then I guess it could write a signature. At this point, after thinking about it a bit, I'm not even sure if the pen is actually designed for ink. It is definitely shaped like my antique drafting tools, but I guess it could hold and dispense any liquid, including lubricants.
You are correct that cam 2 or gear 2 is installed into the device. I tried to show that in the images above with the device on its side, but it came out a bit blurry.
The thing is... the bumps on the cams/gears are all of a constantly repeating pattern, and not a matrix that would be needed for a signature. So, even though I'm leaning away from it belonging to a signature machine I have learned a great deal about Autopens, something I previous did not know existed! Thanks again!

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I think I found the owner of that logo, "Westmoreland Glass Company" (google them and you'll see the engraved WG on your apparatus.). Perhaps it was used in their production.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I like. I could sign all my bill checks without getting hand cramps.:laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions