PROSPECTORMIKEL

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2011
N/W ARKANSAS
Detector(s) used
FISHER
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven’t had an opportunity to actually go there, but I’ve spoken with several very friendly folks there.
I was trying to find a connection between mining in the modern world, and resources into the historical world.

It was a long shot, but I enjoyed the conversations with several knowledgeable folks.

It’s been a while but you might have been one of them.

#/;0{>~

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well? I dropped out of college twice. At the time I was making good money and didn't feel I needed it. Things change, life changes and wish I would have stuck it out. If I could do it all over I would have chased something I enjoyed and not the money. With no college I've made anything from 0 to over 6 figures a year. The 6 figure years were very few....like 2 years of my life working for myself. Working for someone? I've never made over 30 g's a year, usually much less at one job, sometimes I'd work more than one job, side jobs, weekends etc. The years that I did really good were for myself and was being at the right place and right time. I was a hustler and a wheeler dealer my life so I was always able to make money on the side when needed. That all gets old after a while.

When you get older is when you really wish that you chased education. Things change, nothing is really for sure or stable, but you can't take education away from someone.

If I could go back to school I would, location, timing, finance's, life, etc...it wouldn't be impossible but nearly impossible right now. I do have a trade cert. in Autobody. I want nothing to do with it. haha I'm actually pretty good at it, just can't stand the dust,fumes, or working for someone.

I'm no help on what to go into or where, just my opinion on whether you need it or not...Yes, if you ever want more than just a living. It can be done without school and it happens, but I think it's a rarity today. The only way in my opinion is to work for yourself unless you can land a killer job but that's tough without paper. I worked at a company as a branch of the corporate office, I was told that without paper I would never make over 40 a year, even though I'd be doing the same type of work as others. It was just an unwritten rule there.

Last edited:

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
ND: You don't need a degree in arch. to get into libraries to do archival research in archaeology. As to whether or not you need a degree (in anything) is dependent upon the subject you wish to pursue. (extreme example: aiming to be a doctor) The other extreme: Being a researcher--where no degree is necessary. Yes, you may need credentials to get into some archives, but that is the exception;and with the internet, more that was once sequestered in specialized libraries is today, more accessible than ever through the Internet.
Don.....

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
If, he earned $$$$$$$$$$$$ for himself & LOVES his work... choosing to stay in that career, and NOT go to college... would YOU accept that...?

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Well, College/University Degrees are WORTHLESS, if you have one & then have a TRAUMATIC event that MAY make you a "Quad"; I know of a guy with a HIGH degree (PhD) in Physics , teaching at a UNIVERSITY... then becoming disabled ("Quad"; NO use of arms & legs) after a car accident. Life was never the same...

Last edited:

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
trapped on the earthly plane of causation
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While education is a good thing I don't beleive that university education is the best way to gain knowledge, at least not for everyone. Besides, going to state university is like betting any future gains you might have but a student is not entitled to any gain at all. It's a risk the student takes.

Nobody ever made a dime for the time spent while they are sitting in a classroom. With today's interweb a student can learn almost any subject they choose by surfing the web, though such an education might not satisfy employers. If a person want to be self employed they don't have a need to bother with formal education.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
While education is a good thing I don't beleive that university education is the best way to gain knowledge, at least not for everyone. Besides, going to state university is like betting any future gains you might have but a student is not entitled to any gain at all. It's a risk the student takes.

Nobody ever made a dime for the time spent while they are sitting in a classroom. With today's interweb a student can learn almost any subject they choose by surfing the web, though such an education might not satisfy employers. If a person want to be self employed they don't have a need to bother with formal education.
Agree, a Comm. College AA Degree is good for LOTS of things; Web Education IS practical for MANY, who are already employed; like a MBA.

Last edited:

lumusislight

Greenie
Aug 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I cann't say that my education is useless. Life in college taught me a lot. I learned to live separately, to combine work, study and rest. I learned how to plan time and be disciplined. I began to think more about the consequences of my actions. Yes, I don't work as an economist, but my knowledge came in handy. I cann't say that I miss those times very much, but you must admit that college essay writing service is an excellent transition from childhood to adulthood. Most likely, my son will work in the family business as I do, but he will definitely go to college. I don't want my son to just spend my money, so I want him to live on a scholarship and find a part-time job. I found an article https://booksrun.com/blog/stress-in-college-students-life/ on the Internet where student expenses are described. Now I think about whether I will give him money for textbooks and a tutor, or he should earn money on it himself. There is plenty of time in summer to work before college, what do you think?

A good reference for students. University was indeed stressful and I had to look for a summer job each year to cover my tuition. I studied at Monash University and I think it was the time of drastic changes for me. I got the graduate diploma in Psychology, but I think I should have chosen an online bachelor's program. Though I cannot compare, because I never tried any courses online.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Say goodbye spammer.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread