My first deer in 53 years of driving. What a wake-up!

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Just got back from Eden, NC being off TNet for three days away - my oldest friend Ron needed me to come down, take him to and from the Durham VA Hospital and help him for the 3 days I've been gone. He just left after bringing me back up. He had heart surgery in Durham, they put 3 stints in his heart. So I had to play chauffer = my pleasure, except for the deer I hit on the way home from the hospital night before last - the blackness of night and then out of nowhere.

We met a truck and right as his headlights were blinding me, he hit a deer and knocked it over in front of me and I ran over it front and back. There was a car coming up behind pretty fast and at about 5 lengths behind me and I saw him run over it front and back. We were bouncing for a bit. Went around the curve and there as a lighted convenience store parking lot I pulled into to check damage. The car behind me pulled in too. The impact broke a shield now hanging down beneath Ron's passenger side front end, but we were okay.

The other guy, I walked over to him, and his buddy. The poor boy had a nearly new sporty BMW, it didn't knock out his headlights but his whole front end was trashed. I bet his was $15k in damage repairs. Wow. His passenger was the one who told me the truck hit the deer and knocked it into us. For me, I was just passing that truck's blinding headlights and suddenly I was bouncing down the road. It was flat in the road when I hit it, both front and back wheels. That was I trip I'll never forget.

Please be more careful at night. I really don't know how I was able to keep control of the car. It could have been a lot worse. That poor guy with that BMW sure got bad news.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Whoa Nelly! Glad you are OK!!:skullflag:

OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Whoa Nelly! Glad you are OK!!:skullflag:

Thanks Terry. I guess we're doomed to see something new each day we are on Earth!

But we're still here - for a reason? I pray that is the case.

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
trapped on the earthly plane of causation
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last deer I hit totaled my Dodge Dakota. T-boned a nice eight pointer that was chasing a doe.Going 55-60 mph. Both airbags deployed but I was unscathed. None of the antlers broke. I got em on my mantle.

ETA- yeah I know it's unbelievable but the antlers did not break, just scratched a bit. Hit that deer square and centered. It was stuck in the space where my radiator used to sit for about 100 yards down the road. I don't think I use the brakes until that deer kicked his way out of the grill.

The whole ride I was worried about that deer falling out, catching under one tire, and throwing me into the ditch.

Last edited:

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Deep you are one nice guy
I have never hit a deer, maybe caze I sing so loud

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good on you for helping out your buddy! Good karma came back on you. Glad you guys came out OK!

But Dude!!! I don't think that's the way you're supposed to test fly new stints!!!!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread