OP
OP
M

macronova

Banned
Oct 28, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He seems to me more motivated out of fear than fantasy. But I see your point.

Call it what you want. Im not particularly afraid of anything... But I do have the very natural inclination to ensure the survival of myself and those I love. One look at the news should make it clear to anyone that the possibility of WW3 could very well be right around the corner. You're saying no one should prepare at all for such a possibility? I merely wanted to integrate preparation in to a hobby and not make such a big deal about it like some of the militia types. That should be clear to anyone who speaks English as a first language, frankly. You and Kray should exercise that old noggin a little more than you have been. If you can't look at whats going on these days and see the possibility of large scale conflict then I guess its as they say... "Ignorance is bliss."

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

macronova

Banned
Oct 28, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We are going to be OK, fellows.

I pray to God you're right and we, our children go on to experience perfect peace and prosperity for many many years to come. I agree that its a possibility. Just remember, a lot of people could never fathom the possibility of all the horrors that happened during WW1 and WW2. They were living out their happy little lives without a care in the world. Until it happened. The fact of the matter is that unless human beings have somehow magically evolved in to a species that will avoid war at all costs, history will repeat itself. Again I truly hope I'm wrong.

"I do not know with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." -Einstein

Kace

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites Bullseye 2 Pointer, Audio 200 D Headphones,
Garrett AT MAX, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT, MS-3 Headphones,
Lesche Digger, Lesche Shovel, 4' T Handle Probe.
GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
Primary Interest:
Other
That's not a gun to take hunting for any animal MAC.

That's for close combat.

You asked, so get a 30-30, .243 or 30-06. Learn to make a one shot,vital area kill of the heart/lung.

I applaud putting him down, but it should of been a clean, one shot kill with a rifle designed for that. That's humane.

I don't know if you have these there, but there's Live Action Hunting Ranges where Deer, Turkey, Bear, Rabbits, Quail, Bobcat, Ducks and Geese etc..silhouettes walk, stand, run and fly through timber, open land and water depending on what you want to hunt. Basically it covers any situation you could encounter while hunting...even silhouettes of people that you don't see til you pull up your gun to fire and there they are behind your target. At the end of that hunt, you find out if you took a shot you shouldn't of. It's fun and educational besides learning your weapon.

I can't remember who put that pic up, but that should be deleted. It's perfect ammo for anti gun and anti hunting groups.

Good Luck

Kace

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

macronova

Banned
Oct 28, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't remember who put that pic up, but that should be deleted. It's perfect ammo for anti gun and anti hunting groups.

Yeah that photo is terrible. Feeling really sorry for that animal. Looks like it died a slow and painful death. I removed it from the quote. But to the OP I appreciate the advice anyway. I figured he just missed the kill area.

Last edited:

Kace

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites Bullseye 2 Pointer, Audio 200 D Headphones,
Garrett AT MAX, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT, MS-3 Headphones,
Lesche Digger, Lesche Shovel, 4' T Handle Probe.
GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
Primary Interest:
Other
Yeah that photo is terrible. Feeling really sorry for that animal. Looks like it died a slow and painful death. I removed it from my quote. But to the OP I appreciate the advice anyway. I figured he just missed the kill area.

I feel bad for him too..No doubt there was suffering and a painful death. At least you know what kind of gun Not to get!

Im glad you took your quoted pic of that down...I Really Hope All Of Those Pics Are Removed Before The Wrong People See It.

Kace

OP
OP
M

macronova

Banned
Oct 28, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's not a gun to take hunting for any animal MAC.

That's for close combat.

You asked, so get a 30-30, .243 or 30-06. Learn to make a one shot,vital area kill of the heart/lung.

I applaud putting him down, but it should of been a clean, one shot kill with a rifle designed for that. That's humane.

I don't know if you have these there, but there's Live Action Hunting Ranges where Deer, Turkey, Bear, Rabbits, Quail, Bobcat, Ducks and Geese etc..silhouettes walk, stand, run and fly through timber, open land and water depending on what you want to hunt. Basically it covers any situation you could encounter while hunting...even silhouettes of people that you don't see til you pull up your gun to fire and there they are behind your target. At the end of that hunt, you find out if you took a shot you shouldn't of. It's fun and educational besides learning your weapon.

Good Luck

Kace

Kace, the AR 10 is a long range .308. I'm just curious why you are saying its designed for close combat. To me its basically designed to be a semi-auto sniper rifle. It seems too long and the recoil would be too strong for a solely close combat weapon. Even though it appears Wildnerness medic missed the kill shot in the photo, that FN SCAR can be highly accurate at long range. If you're not spraying the magazine and taking your time, it should have the potential to be a pretty good hunting rifle. Am I right?

To be fair Wilderness medic did explain what happened. But it is unpleasant site to see the thing laying there bleeding from its stomach. Totally humane to go ahead and put it down though if the initial kill shot was missed.

A lot of people these days consider hunting to be inhumane in general. But if you eat meat, something had to die. In my opinion its more inhumane to let a robot take the life for you then to go out and put in work to take down your own prey. Its just the way of the world I guess. I remember this quote "Oh, we're all animals... Fighting for scraps on the Serengeti." So true

Last edited:

Wilderness medic

Dec 1, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We? Are you an Afghanistan vet?

Oh look who’s back. Sure am. Find your responses about “vets screwing his head back on straight” pretty entertaining. His head sounds like it’s on pretty straight, albeit lacking in knowledge that he’s seeking out.

OP
OP
M

macronova

Banned
Oct 28, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wasn't rude to you at all... I just wish you'd take your pic down.

Coming from the guy Practicing Long Range Sniping On Live Animals... I agree with these guys.... I'd be embarrassed to put that pic up. Get the right Gun for hunting. Play on the paintball field.

Kace

Kace... Paintball guns do not fire accurately at long distances. The paintball field is perhaps a good place to practice close combat but that's it. War is a terrible thing. Nothing about it is pretty. But it ain't all rainbows and butterflies in this world. People are already going through hell overseas. My aim is good at the range. I'm not a professional sharp shooter but its actually consistently pretty good. I feel confident enough that I could hit a deer in the right spot if I took my time. And I would. I'm not a heartless maniac with no feelings for living creatures. But the process of hunting is a pretty good way to practice your wartime sniping skills while at the same time improving a good survival skill and putting some quality meat on the table. You're taking out a few birds with the same stone there.

If Chinese boots are ever on the ground over here, we need to be ready. They will be slaughtering millions and having a great time doing it. That's a fact.

Last edited:

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Oh look who’s back. Sure am. Find your responses about “vets screwing his head back on straight” pretty entertaining. His head sounds like it’s on pretty straight, albeit lacking in knowledge that he’s seeking out.

Well, that surprises me. You don't come across that way.

Wilderness medic

Dec 1, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, that surprises me. You don't come across that way.

Well, that doesn't surprise me. A POG not knowing anything about weapons systems, combat, or shooting? Shocking. If I ever want my computer fixed or a good dinner cooked I'll ask you for some advice you might actually be able to help with.

The1rod

Jan 18, 2018
Hudson co
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
.308 is a great caliber for hunting plain and simple. Different rifles will have different limitations. .308 ar10 will do great for hunting, just know the limitations of the rifle, and the limitations of your abilities and when you go hunting stay withing your limitations. You will do great and have a good time while learning what you are looking for. Sometimes things happen and you make a bad shot, if you do, do whatever it takes to finish the animal off. And before you go hunting take the time to study where the vitals are in an animal and what they would look like at different angles.

#team wilderness medic

Wilderness medic

Dec 1, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
.308 is a great caliber for hunting plain and simple. Different rifles will have different limitations. .308 ar10 will do great for hunting, just know the limitations of the rifle, and the limitations of your abilities and when you go hunting stay withing your limitations. You will do great and have a good time while learning what you are looking for. Sometimes things happen and you make a bad shot, if you do, do whatever it takes to finish the animal off. And before you go hunting take the time to study where the vitals are in an animal and what they would look like at different angles.

#team wilderness medic

There's the key right there. Know you and your rifles limitations.

Can't say shooting at an elk point blank is what mine is. I mean I'm confident enough in my abilities to shoot a mule deer off hand, across a draw, and put a round threw its shoulders into its vitals killing it instantly while its on the run. Just sayin'.

04:00 minute mark

Standby for what I did wrong from the peanut gallery in 3...2...1...

Last edited:

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well, that doesn't surprise me. A POG not knowing anything about weapons systems, combat, or shooting? Shocking. If I ever want my computer fixed or a good dinner cooked I'll ask you for some advice you might actually be able to help with.

You know what? I think you're an arrogant, antagonistic prick. You know nothing about my military service, or my skills.

OP
OP
M

macronova

Banned
Oct 28, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Please refrain from calling me an arrogant, antagonistic prick, as I am none of those.

Poor triggered little sailor. Maybe next time keep your prick holster shut before you go stepping in * you can't handle. Dish it out but cant take it. Classic. Night cupcake :)

LOL i'm starting to feel the same sympathy for Kray as I did for the animal in the photo. Tomorrows a new day Kray, a fresh start. Take the lessons you learned today and begin anew. You'll be alright buddy.

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Seems to me this is an Old Bull vs Young Bull discussion.

Those of us who are older have "been there-done that", and learned
from our errors, and then there's young guys full of technical knowledge
but lacking experience.

Was a time when the more senior men were respected for the knowledge
they had gained through a lifetime of experience.

Apparently, that is no more.

People talk of taking 1000 yd. shots at an animal..wonder what the
bullet travel time is on a shot that long, and how many steps could
that animal take while the bullet is still in flight??

Just one step forward is the difference in a heart/lung shot vs. a
gut shot animal..that is 1000 yds. distant, so your ability to track
and find that wounded animal are greatly reduced. Animal suffers
miserably til it dies, and the shooter just writes it off as a miss.

You want to be a hunter? Then learn how to HUNT. Want an exciting
hunt? Then learn how to weasel in on that deer/elk, and then put that
bullet/arrow right in the heart for a clean kill that is respectful of the
animal.

That animal has lived it's life, and you've chosen to end that life.
It deserves more respect than just being the proof of some ballistics
table.

JMHO

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
trapped on the earthly plane of causation
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ah!!!, the Armalite Rifle!

What an ungainly ugly thing the modern rifle has become! All black, no wood, and if did have wood they would paint it black!

But if it upsets the gun grabbers I say "Do It!". So , with that in mind, I got me a 1980's Yugoslavian SKS M59/66A1 complete with fixed folding bayonet and grenade launcher. Ten shot magazine 7.62x39mm. I don't have any grenades for it, yet.

It can kill deer. And yes, sometimes i have to shoot them twice.

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seems to me this is an Old Bull vs Young Bull discussion.

Those of us who are older have "been there-done that", and learned
from our errors, and then there's young guys full of technical knowledge
but lacking experience.

Was a time when the more senior men were respected for the knowledge
they had gained through a lifetime of experience.

Apparently, that is no more.

People talk of taking 1000 yd. shots at an animal..wonder what the
bullet travel time is on a shot that long, and how many steps could
that animal take while the bullet is still in flight??

Just one step forward is the difference in a heart/lung shot vs. a
gut shot animal..that is 1000 yds. distant, so your ability to track
and find that wounded animal are greatly reduced. Animal suffers
miserably til it dies, and the shooter just writes it off as a miss.

You want to be a hunter? Then learn how to HUNT. Want an exciting
hunt? Then learn how to weasel in on that deer/elk, and then put that
bullet/arrow right in the heart for a clean kill that is respectful of the
animal.

That animal has lived it's life, and you've chosen to end that life.
It deserves more respect than just being the proof of some ballistics
table.

JMHO

Yes I totally agree, if you wanna take 1000 yard shots do at at the range. Im proud to say I have only ever had one misplaced shot in my life (my very first deer at age 16) because I follow this type of mentality. Shooting at a running animal is dumb, even if you can do it. Shooting an animal over a few hundred yards is dumb, even if you can do it. It is taking unnecessary risks of having an animal suffer, and does nothing but stroke egos. Funny thing is though, I am technically a "young bull", but was raised differently than the majority of my generation. That .308 by the way, takes somewhere around 1.5 seconds give or take depending on load to travel 1000 yards. And at 1000 yards the trajectory becomes that of a wet noodle.

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
trapped on the earthly plane of causation
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1,000 yards?

I shoot all my deer inside of 100 yards and prefer them closer to 100 feet. That said, killing deer at long range with a rifle ain't any more of a stunt than killing deer at any range with a bow and arrows. It's up to the stuntman wether or not they can pull it off consistently.

And the Feds make us shoot steel at ducks, talk about cuelty to animals! Hell, the J@Ps probably lost WWII cause they were down to using steel shot.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread