Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree135Likes

Thread: .308 AR for Deer Hunting

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Dec 2018
    88 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by Kray Gelder View Post
    Well, that surprises me. You don't come across that way.
    Well, that doesn't surprise me. A POG not knowing anything about weapons systems, combat, or shooting? Shocking. If I ever want my computer fixed or a good dinner cooked I'll ask you for some advice you might actually be able to help with.
    macronova likes this.

us
    Jan 2018
    Hudson co
    330 times
    .308 is a great caliber for hunting plain and simple. Different rifles will have different limitations. .308 ar10 will do great for hunting, just know the limitations of the rifle, and the limitations of your abilities and when you go hunting stay withing your limitations. You will do great and have a good time while learning what you are looking for. Sometimes things happen and you make a bad shot, if you do, do whatever it takes to finish the animal off. And before you go hunting take the time to study where the vitals are in an animal and what they would look like at different angles.

#team wilderness medic

Dec 2018
    88 times
    Quote Originally Posted by The1rod View Post
    .308 is a great caliber for hunting plain and simple. Different rifles will have different limitations. .308 ar10 will do great for hunting, just know the limitations of the rifle, and the limitations of your abilities and when you go hunting stay withing your limitations. You will do great and have a good time while learning what you are looking for. Sometimes things happen and you make a bad shot, if you do, do whatever it takes to finish the animal off. And before you go hunting take the time to study where the vitals are in an animal and what they would look like at different angles.

#team wilderness medic

There's the key right there. Know you and your rifles limitations.

Can't say shooting at an elk point blank is what mine is. I mean I'm confident enough in my abilities to shoot a mule deer off hand, across a draw, and put a round threw its shoulders into its vitals killing it instantly while its on the run. Just sayin'.

04:00 minute mark

Standby for what I did wrong from the peanut gallery in 3...2...1...
    Last edited by Wilderness medic; Dec 05, 2018 at 12:04 AM.
    macronova likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    papa

Feb 2017
    Georgetown, SC
    Fisher F75
    4165 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilderness medic View Post
    Well, that doesn't surprise me. A POG not knowing anything about weapons systems, combat, or shooting? Shocking. If I ever want my computer fixed or a good dinner cooked I'll ask you for some advice you might actually be able to help with.
    You know what? I think you're an arrogant, antagonistic prick. You know nothing about my military service, or my skills.
    DizzyDigger likes this.

"And so the population was gradually led into the demoralising temptations of arcades, baths, and sumptuous banquets. The unsuspecting Britons spoke of such novelties as 'civilisation', when in fact they were only a feature of their enslavement." Tacitus, Roman Senator and Historian, written AD 98.

Oct 2018
    73 times
    Please refrain from calling me an arrogant, antagonistic prick, as I am none of those.

Poor triggered little sailor. Maybe next time keep your prick holster shut before you go stepping in * you can't handle. Dish it out but cant take it. Classic. Night cupcake
    LOL i'm starting to feel the same sympathy for Kray as I did for the animal in the photo. Tomorrows a new day Kray, a fresh start. Take the lessons you learned today and begin anew. You'll be alright buddy.
    Wilderness medic likes this.

us
    Dec 2012
    Concrete, WA
    Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
    5491 times
    Prospecting
    Seems to me this is an Old Bull vs Young Bull discussion.

Those of us who are older have "been there-done that", and learned
    from our errors, and then there's young guys full of technical knowledge
    but lacking experience.

Was a time when the more senior men were respected for the knowledge
    they had gained through a lifetime of experience.

Apparently, that is no more.

People talk of taking 1000 yd. shots at an animal..wonder what the
    bullet travel time is on a shot that long, and how many steps could
    that animal take while the bullet is still in flight??

Just one step forward is the difference in a heart/lung shot vs. a
    gut shot animal..that is 1000 yds. distant, so your ability to track
    and find that wounded animal are greatly reduced. Animal suffers
    miserably til it dies, and the shooter just writes it off as a miss.

You want to be a hunter? Then learn how to HUNT. Want an exciting
    hunt? Then learn how to weasel in on that deer/elk, and then put that
    bullet/arrow right in the heart for a clean kill that is respectful of the
    animal.

That animal has lived it's life, and you've chosen to end that life.
    It deserves more respect than just being the proof of some ballistics
    table.

JMHO
    Mike (aka Dizz)

"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude better than the animating contest
    of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick
    the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you
    were our countrymen." ~~ Samuel Adams, 1776

Dizzy's Super-Simple, Universal Rule of Forum Conduct: Don't be an ass.

Charter Member

Sep 2014
    Midwest, North of 36°60'
    4392 times
    Ah!!!, the Armalite Rifle!

What an ungainly ugly thing the modern rifle has become! All black, no wood, and if did have wood they would paint it black!

But if it upsets the gun grabbers I say "Do It!". So , with that in mind, I got me a 1980's Yugoslavian SKS M59/66A1 complete with fixed folding bayonet and grenade launcher. Ten shot magazine 7.62x39mm. I don't have any grenades for it, yet.

It can kill deer. And yes, sometimes i have to shoot them twice.
    gold boy and macronova like this.
    Liberty is the Freedom to do the next Right thing.

In God We Trust

us
    Jan 2017
    Western ny
    equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
    4144 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DizzyDigger View Post
    Seems to me this is an Old Bull vs Young Bull discussion.

Those of us who are older have "been there-done that", and learned
    from our errors, and then there's young guys full of technical knowledge
    but lacking experience.

Was a time when the more senior men were respected for the knowledge
    they had gained through a lifetime of experience.

Apparently, that is no more.

People talk of taking 1000 yd. shots at an animal..wonder what the
    bullet travel time is on a shot that long, and how many steps could
    that animal take while the bullet is still in flight??

Just one step forward is the difference in a heart/lung shot vs. a
    gut shot animal..that is 1000 yds. distant, so your ability to track
    and find that wounded animal are greatly reduced. Animal suffers
    miserably til it dies, and the shooter just writes it off as a miss.

You want to be a hunter? Then learn how to HUNT. Want an exciting
    hunt? Then learn how to weasel in on that deer/elk, and then put that
    bullet/arrow right in the heart for a clean kill that is respectful of the
    animal.

That animal has lived it's life, and you've chosen to end that life.
    It deserves more respect than just being the proof of some ballistics
    table.

JMHO
    Yes I totally agree, if you wanna take 1000 yard shots do at at the range. Im proud to say I have only ever had one misplaced shot in my life (my very first deer at age 16) because I follow this type of mentality. Shooting at a running animal is dumb, even if you can do it. Shooting an animal over a few hundred yards is dumb, even if you can do it. It is taking unnecessary risks of having an animal suffer, and does nothing but stroke egos. Funny thing is though, I am technically a "young bull", but was raised differently than the majority of my generation. That .308 by the way, takes somewhere around 1.5 seconds give or take depending on load to travel 1000 yards. And at 1000 yards the trajectory becomes that of a wet noodle.

Charter Member

Sep 2014
    Midwest, North of 36°60'
    4392 times
    1,000 yards?

I shoot all my deer inside of 100 yards and prefer them closer to 100 feet. That said, killing deer at long range with a rifle ain't any more of a stunt than killing deer at any range with a bow and arrows. It's up to the stuntman wether or not they can pull it off consistently.

And the Feds make us shoot steel at ducks, talk about cuelty to animals! Hell, the J@Ps probably lost WWII cause they were down to using steel shot.

In God We Trust

us
    Tribal Member of United Houma Nation -

Sep 2011
    Southeast Arkansas
    Ace 250
    5538 times
    Cache Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnnybravo300 View Post
    (I've been told this by the texan mouth breathers)
    . . . ROFL!!!!!
    Speaking of the stars: " "To whom can you liken me to make me his equal?” says the Holy One.' “Lift up your eyes to heaven and see. who has created these things? It is the One who brings out their army by number; HE calls them all by name. Because of his vast dynamic energy and his awe-inspiring power, not one of them is missing." " --- Isaiah 40:25,26

A few of my favorite pix: https://www.500px.com/ccjr221

Charter Member
    us
    "WP"

May 2012
    16193 times
    Quote Originally Posted by macronova View Post
    Kace... Paintball guns do not fire accurately at long distances. The paintball field is perhaps a good place to practice close combat but that's it. War is a terrible thing. Nothing about it is pretty. But it ain't all rainbows and butterflies in this world. People are already going through hell overseas. My aim is good at the range. I'm not a professional sharp shooter but its actually consistently pretty good. I feel confident enough that I could hit a deer in the right spot if I took my time. And I would. I'm not a heartless maniac with no feelings for living creatures. But the process of hunting is a pretty good way to practice your wartime sniping skills while at the same time improving a good survival skill and putting some quality meat on the table. You're taking out a few birds with the same stone there.

If Chinese boots are ever on the ground over here, we need to be ready. They will be slaughtering millions and having a great time doing it. That's a fact.
    .308 ,fine for deer.
    Once your limitations are learned on deer sized vitals.
    One shooters hundred yards is anothers 200 ;but prove it on the range first.
    A .308 like any caliber can out perform the shooter.
    Beyond 200 yards I have multiple rifles that are accurate (depending on conditions) , but deer are not paper. I tend to err on the conservative side. One shot kills suit me just fine.

Hunting deer does little to compare to being fired on by an experienced trained group. Organised and networking groups are a force to reckon with. Lets hope you never face one member drawing your fire while the rest sort you out.

More so is a group a threat when you have to sleep eventually and that same group already found you out , studied you , and await your movement and have a diversion /distraction in action already.
    Touching off a round is an advertisement to your presence too. Now what? 12 shooters spread out and headed for you and where is your focus now? 360 degrees?

Bugging out requires movement. Survival depends on movement eventually. Movement = vulnerability.

But anyways...If you are experienced with ,or seek to be with an AR platform ,then go with an AR.
    Clearing a jam , using forward assist when it is needed. Ramming the bolt home all take practice. Add the stress of being fired on from multiple directions ,and your odds are going to drop when you are not placing bullets in targets if you have or create a malfunction.

Oil on a wrong part in freezing temps? Has been a game changer for more than one would be killer with a variety of guns.

An AR is not my choice for one of a s.h.t.f. weapon group ,but to each their own.

Charter Member
    us
    Jul 2006
    Orlando, Fl
    Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
    28746 times
    Kray and Wilderness. Post by our rules or lose the ability to post at all for a month.

Same warning applies to anyone else who can't post by our rules.
    Last edited by Treasure_Hunter; Dec 06, 2018 at 05:42 PM.
    macronova and just.neil like this.
    PLEASE READ OUR RULES. CLICK HERE TO READ ------> TreasureNet.com Rules

2nd Amendment
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed"

Si vis pacem, para bellum "If you want peace, prepare for war!

USAF 1967-1971

I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic..."

No Expiration Date!

Charter Member

Sep 2014
    Midwest, North of 36°60'
    4392 times
    There's the key right there. Know you and your rifles limitations.

Can't say shooting at an elk point blank is what mine is. I mean I'm confident enough in my abilities to shoot a mule deer off hand, across a draw, and put a round threw its shoulders into its vitals killing it instantly while its on the run. Just sayin'.

04:00 minute mark

Standby for what I did wrong from the peanut gallery in 3...2...1...
    Nice shot! I know two guys that shoot like that, both of them former marines.

Most guys are not dedicated enough to gain the skills needed for running shots with a rifle. I know. I ain't.

Oh, and I know exactly what you did wrong. Your kill died a little too far away from your pickup truck. No worries, it happens to expert and beginners alike.

In God We Trust

Oct 2018
    73 times
    Quote Originally Posted by releventchair View Post
    .308 ,fine for deer.
    Once your limitations are learned on deer sized vitals.
    One shooters hundred yards is anothers 200 ;but prove it on the range first.
    A .308 like any caliber can out perform the shooter.
    Beyond 200 yards I have multiple rifles that are accurate (depending on conditions) , but deer are not paper. I tend to err on the conservative side. One shot kills suit me just fine.

Hunting deer does little to compare to being fired on by an experienced trained group. Organised and networking groups are a force to reckon with. Lets hope you never face one member drawing your fire while the rest sort you out.

More so is a group a threat when you have to sleep eventually and that same group already found you out , studied you , and await your movement and have a diversion /distraction in action already.
    Touching off a round is an advertisement to your presence too. Now what? 12 shooters spread out and headed for you and where is your focus now? 360 degrees?

Bugging out requires movement. Survival depends on movement eventually. Movement = vulnerability.

But anyways...If you are experienced with ,or seek to be with an AR platform ,then go with an AR.
    Clearing a jam , using forward assist when it is needed. Ramming the bolt home all take practice. Add the stress of being fired on from multiple directions ,and your odds are going to drop when you are not placing bullets in targets if you have or create a malfunction.

Oil on a wrong part in freezing temps? Has been a game changer for more than one would be killer with a variety of guns.

An AR is not my choice for one of a s.h.t.f. weapon group ,but to each their own.
    Excellent advice... Thank you. So what would be your choice in a situation like that if I just wanted to focus on one weapon? After doing some more research the gun Wilderness medic uses, the FN SCAR, is really starting to look like the winner. Being the choice of U.S. Special Forces Command, British SAS, as well as special forces from Belgium, Lithuania, and Georgia seems to say a lot.
    Last edited by macronova; Dec 06, 2018 at 06:43 PM.

Charter Member
    us
    "WP"

May 2012
    16193 times
    Quote Originally Posted by macronova View Post
    Excellent advice... Thank you. So what would be your choice in a situation like that if I just wanted to focus on one weapon? After doing some more research the gun Wilderness medic uses, the FN SCAR, is really starting to look like the winner. Being the choice of U.S. Special Forces Command, British SAS, as well as special forces from Belgium, Lithuania, and Georgia seems to say a lot.
    L.o.l...
    That's a loaded question. Pun intended...
    To survive sans being hunted? Small caliber in my area. .22 is fine Less weight to haul. Less noise.High capacity mags preloaded (short a round or two each ,just to give spring less than full compression)transport easier too. Well placed shots suffice for any quarry here ,given close range. Wind a factor.

More traps than arms to fill a belly quietly. Though a dependable side arm sharing ammo with a rifle is a trend of mine.
    That includes both rifle and sidearm for deer sized game too.

This continent once was ruled by smoothbores. Even sigle shot ones. Versatile. Usually simple in design for basic ones. People survived with them.

For firefights with humans? I'd rather avoid them.At just about all costs if I'm alone.
    In concept I'm not better than a trained group in stopping them before they stop me.
    Forced to at home? I lack enough armor plate for cover. Otherwise in addition to high capacity small calibers for medium range , there are pet deer rifles for long range.
    And an AK for up close/too close last ditch.
    Thing is though ,shooting attracts attention. If not point blank ,do I need to be shooting? Risk is always a factor. I have little to loose at 600 yards. Much more to lose at six feet. If I can be seen.

No arm is perfect because some one else runs it or recommends it. It is what you run ,and are so familiar with it is an extension of you without having to focus on it that is better for you. Just prove it is dependable ,preferably accurate ,and familiar. By firing range work. Not by experimenting on game critters.

Bullet design matters. Poking a hole through and though without expanding,vs dumping energy and destroying tissue. Bone matters.
    Caliber matters depending on skin (or cloths or armor) thickness. Combined with , energy required , distance/range of target.

You might want commonality of ammo. You may not. Action types too.
    Simple and robust go far.
    Some guns are finicky. Some are stubborn workhorses.
    More than one is good. But if you are mobile choose weight including rounds accordingly.

If I can't solve a problem with 5 rounds. I'm in trouble. Time spent burning them is time at risk. Will more rounds help?
    Sometimes it might be better to evade than confront if given the choice.
    Where can you evaporate into the fore , and background? How? Are the means in place to hold you over till dark? Dogs? Night vision evasion? Infared peeking into your home/forest,field,desert?
    Got a plan when you move?

Practice with high cap mags teaches shooting prone can be interfered with...Now what? You might not want to stand or kneel and blow your cover....if not already blown.

Can you reach a mag laying on your side , then swap it out with a spent one? Ghillie suit , blanket , debris you're hiding in , interfere with your rifles action?
    Spider climbing on you bother you ,or can you hold still?
    Ready to treat a gunshot wound, or three?
    Last edited by releventchair; Dec 06, 2018 at 07:58 PM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links