.308 AR for Deer Hunting

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Kace... Paintball guns do not fire accurately at long distances. The paintball field is perhaps a good place to practice close combat but that's it. War is a terrible thing. Nothing about it is pretty. But it ain't all rainbows and butterflies in this world. People are already going through hell overseas. My aim is good at the range. I'm not a professional sharp shooter but its actually consistently pretty good. I feel confident enough that I could hit a deer in the right spot if I took my time. And I would. I'm not a heartless maniac with no feelings for living creatures. But the process of hunting is a pretty good way to practice your wartime sniping skills while at the same time improving a good survival skill and putting some quality meat on the table. You're taking out a few birds with the same stone there.

If Chinese boots are ever on the ground over here, we need to be ready. They will be slaughtering millions and having a great time doing it. That's a fact.

.308 ,fine for deer.
Once your limitations are learned on deer sized vitals.
One shooters hundred yards is anothers 200 ;but prove it on the range first.
A .308 like any caliber can out perform the shooter.
Beyond 200 yards I have multiple rifles that are accurate (depending on conditions) , but deer are not paper. I tend to err on the conservative side. One shot kills suit me just fine.

Hunting deer does little to compare to being fired on by an experienced trained group. Organised and networking groups are a force to reckon with. Lets hope you never face one member drawing your fire while the rest sort you out.

More so is a group a threat when you have to sleep eventually and that same group already found you out , studied you , and await your movement and have a diversion /distraction in action already.
Touching off a round is an advertisement to your presence too. Now what? 12 shooters spread out and headed for you and where is your focus now? 360 degrees?

Bugging out requires movement. Survival depends on movement eventually. Movement = vulnerability.

But anyways...If you are experienced with ,or seek to be with an AR platform ,then go with an AR.
Clearing a jam , using forward assist when it is needed. Ramming the bolt home all take practice. Add the stress of being fired on from multiple directions ,and your odds are going to drop when you are not placing bullets in targets if you have or create a malfunction.

Oil on a wrong part in freezing temps? Has been a game changer for more than one would be killer with a variety of guns.

An AR is not my choice for one of a s.h.t.f. weapon group ,but to each their own.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kray and Wilderness. Post by our rules or lose the ability to post at all for a month.

Same warning applies to anyone else who can't post by our rules.

Last edited:

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
trapped on the earthly plane of causation
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's the key right there. Know you and your rifles limitations.

Can't say shooting at an elk point blank is what mine is. I mean I'm confident enough in my abilities to shoot a mule deer off hand, across a draw, and put a round threw its shoulders into its vitals killing it instantly while its on the run. Just sayin'.

04:00 minute mark

Standby for what I did wrong from the peanut gallery in 3...2...1...

Nice shot! I know two guys that shoot like that, both of them former marines.

Most guys are not dedicated enough to gain the skills needed for running shots with a rifle. I know. I ain't.

Oh, and I know exactly what you did wrong. Your kill died a little too far away from your pickup truck. No worries, it happens to expert and beginners alike.:laughing7:

OP
OP
M

macronova

Banned
Oct 28, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
.308 ,fine for deer.
Once your limitations are learned on deer sized vitals.
One shooters hundred yards is anothers 200 ;but prove it on the range first.
A .308 like any caliber can out perform the shooter.
Beyond 200 yards I have multiple rifles that are accurate (depending on conditions) , but deer are not paper. I tend to err on the conservative side. One shot kills suit me just fine.

Hunting deer does little to compare to being fired on by an experienced trained group. Organised and networking groups are a force to reckon with. Lets hope you never face one member drawing your fire while the rest sort you out.

More so is a group a threat when you have to sleep eventually and that same group already found you out , studied you , and await your movement and have a diversion /distraction in action already.
Touching off a round is an advertisement to your presence too. Now what? 12 shooters spread out and headed for you and where is your focus now? 360 degrees?

Bugging out requires movement. Survival depends on movement eventually. Movement = vulnerability.

But anyways...If you are experienced with ,or seek to be with an AR platform ,then go with an AR.
Clearing a jam , using forward assist when it is needed. Ramming the bolt home all take practice. Add the stress of being fired on from multiple directions ,and your odds are going to drop when you are not placing bullets in targets if you have or create a malfunction.

Oil on a wrong part in freezing temps? Has been a game changer for more than one would be killer with a variety of guns.

An AR is not my choice for one of a s.h.t.f. weapon group ,but to each their own.

Excellent advice... Thank you. So what would be your choice in a situation like that if I just wanted to focus on one weapon? After doing some more research the gun Wilderness medic uses, the FN SCAR, is really starting to look like the winner. Being the choice of U.S. Special Forces Command, British SAS, as well as special forces from Belgium, Lithuania, and Georgia seems to say a lot.

Last edited:

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Excellent advice... Thank you. So what would be your choice in a situation like that if I just wanted to focus on one weapon? After doing some more research the gun Wilderness medic uses, the FN SCAR, is really starting to look like the winner. Being the choice of U.S. Special Forces Command, British SAS, as well as special forces from Belgium, Lithuania, and Georgia seems to say a lot.

L.o.l...
That's a loaded question. Pun intended...
To survive sans being hunted? Small caliber in my area. .22 is fine Less weight to haul. Less noise.High capacity mags preloaded (short a round or two each ,just to give spring less than full compression)transport easier too. Well placed shots suffice for any quarry here ,given close range. Wind a factor.

More traps than arms to fill a belly quietly. Though a dependable side arm sharing ammo with a rifle is a trend of mine.
That includes both rifle and sidearm for deer sized game too.

This continent once was ruled by smoothbores. Even sigle shot ones. Versatile. Usually simple in design for basic ones. People survived with them.

For firefights with humans? I'd rather avoid them.At just about all costs if I'm alone.
In concept I'm not better than a trained group in stopping them before they stop me.
Forced to at home? I lack enough armor plate for cover. Otherwise in addition to high capacity small calibers for medium range , there are pet deer rifles for long range.
And an AK for up close/too close last ditch.
Thing is though ,shooting attracts attention. If not point blank ,do I need to be shooting? Risk is always a factor. I have little to loose at 600 yards. Much more to lose at six feet. If I can be seen.

No arm is perfect because some one else runs it or recommends it. It is what you run ,and are so familiar with it is an extension of you without having to focus on it that is better for you. Just prove it is dependable ,preferably accurate ,and familiar. By firing range work. Not by experimenting on game critters.

Bullet design matters. Poking a hole through and though without expanding,vs dumping energy and destroying tissue. Bone matters.
Caliber matters depending on skin (or cloths or armor) thickness. Combined with , energy required , distance/range of target.

You might want commonality of ammo. You may not. Action types too.
Simple and robust go far.
Some guns are finicky. Some are stubborn workhorses.
More than one is good. But if you are mobile choose weight including rounds accordingly.

If I can't solve a problem with 5 rounds. I'm in trouble. Time spent burning them is time at risk. Will more rounds help?
Sometimes it might be better to evade than confront if given the choice.
Where can you evaporate into the fore , and background? How? Are the means in place to hold you over till dark? Dogs? Night vision evasion? Infared peeking into your home/forest,field,desert?
Got a plan when you move?

Practice with high cap mags teaches shooting prone can be interfered with...Now what? You might not want to stand or kneel and blow your cover....if not already blown.

Can you reach a mag laying on your side , then swap it out with a spent one? Ghillie suit , blanket , debris you're hiding in , interfere with your rifles action?
Spider climbing on you bother you ,or can you hold still?
Ready to treat a gunshot wound, or three?

Last edited:

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
marcronova:

Scenario for ya.
You wake up to a knock on the door.
You peek out to see a young gal swinging an obviously empty gas can asking "can you help me?"

What do you do?

More importantly ,what is going on behind you ,all sides of you ,and nearby.....On your roof?

Very different than what you might expect.

Just peeking out the window may have been fatal. If someone has a reason to target you. Don't give them a reason ,and don't be a target. Be gone before they arrive and be watching from an invisible vantage point. Even if you're not really gone far.
What about their dog(s)?
Covering your tracks takes practice. Your scent?

You might be able to shoot them all before "they" roust you ( stun grenades,teargas,fire in the house) but you might be better off a hundred yards away watching the house,apt, tarp, dugout ect...With a planned out of sight escape route to the next vantage point.

Survival is not always romantic glory.

mobile miner

Mar 10, 2010
I prefer my 1885 Winchester in 30 gov. to my AR for hunting. Had a guy tell me "long as there`s lead in the air there`s danger". He might be right in some cases. I never went hunting with him.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread