Hillbilly Prince

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2018
SW Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett All Terrain Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah that is the trouble with Texas, we have a saying for everything. Closer you get to the border we may have a story for every situation as well, half the time they do not even apply.

Thats why everything takes twice as long on a south texas ranch, tell a damn tumble weed a story if it will sit still long enough.

My old man could talk your leg off. And he was a country preacher to boot. So us kids got the practice sermon on the way to Fowler, Colorado, then we got the actual sermon, then the highlight reel on the way home. Not that it stuck.
He did have that Texas gene.

dts52

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2015
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox800 / AT Pro / AT Gold / Makro Racer
Vibra-probe / TRX pp
Primary Interest:
Other
One from my Dad, always used as a warning shot across my bow when I wasn't doing what he wanted:
"you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink... but you can make him wish to hell he had!"

And one from my mother
"Don't make me stop this car!"

And from my grandmother
"You wanna cry? I'll give you something to cry about!"

Just to make the record clear, lest you get the impression they were child abusers, they are all gone now and I miss them terribly. They were all kind, loving people who never really followed up on any of their "threats".
dts

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
shinning like a diamond in a goatsass.

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
shittin-in-tall cotton.

OP
OP
Hillbilly Prince

Hillbilly Prince

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2018
SW Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett All Terrain Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In New Orleans we say, “We’re going to MAKE groceries”.

Okay, that reminds me. There is alledgedly a saying in Louisiana. If you ain't drinking or *******, you're just visiting.

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
One more..... we absolutely do say
“Where ya at” meaning hello. It’s was the norm where I grew up and still to this day everyone knows.

IMG_1423.jpg

MotherOfGeeks

Apr 26, 2016
Washington
Primary Interest:
Other
My dad was an old farmer here in the pacific northwest & he used to say it was "raining harder than a cow peeing on a flat rock".

MotherOfGeeks

Apr 26, 2016
Washington
Primary Interest:
Other
Whenever something breaks I always quote my dad that "it just needs a little duct tape & bailing wire and it will be as right as rain". Oddly enough, by the time I was old enough to remember we no longer had bailing wire, it was a polyester bailing twine.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Hillbilly Prince

Hillbilly Prince

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2018
SW Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett All Terrain Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hope some people from other countriesnpost some. I heard a Russian saying but can't remember it. Those folks knew what hard times were.
My mom used to say You're gonna smell the patching. Meaning times were going to get rough.
Can't believe how much of this stuff I have heard which people are posting lol.
Got some more to post. Like a slow person: He would lose time falling out of a tree.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread