Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Black gold, Texas tea. It belongs to the gov., none for me. [emoji22]
I'm guessing there's no pipeline in the area.

Sent from my VS810PP using Tapatalk

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
Oil used to be discovered that way. Then they'd know where to drill. But usually not tar. Tar pits. It's said the good tar is all gone. The stuff today doesn't repair itself like the tar from pits did. I don't know but I'm glad I'm not a roofer. On a hot summer day pouring hot tar on a roof? That's what a bad idea sounds like.
Take a bit. If it's petrol based it will desolve in many things but gasoline or kerosene might be easyist. Will it burn? Taste?

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tar? I saw that coming out of the sidewalk on Wilshire Boulevard in Los Angeles, near the LaBrae Tar Pits. Sign of geologic activity. And it all belongs to the government 100%. And if a volcano is brewing there, oh oh!

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tar? I saw that coming out of the sidewalk on Wilshire Boulevard in Los Angeles, near the LaBrae Tar Pits. Sign of geologic activity. And it all belongs to the government 100%. And if a volcano is brewing there, oh oh!
You do know they were still pumping oil in the area of Jefferson & Crenshaw up till the 1960s? While they were still drilling across the street from the bank they covered the derrick with what looked like canvas moving blankets. There were three wells towards the Coliseum in what would be Watts now. You used to see wells all the way to the coast, on down PCH clear to Huntington Beach A lot of the well heads can still be seen below the bluffs in Huntington. If you continue to the bluffs below Hoag Hospital in Newport Beach there's (I think it's still there) a swampy ditch that used to have crude in it & they were burning off the gas for years & years. All that production stopped because they had pumped out all the sweet oil & all that was left was the stuff mixed with salt water & it was too expensive to refine.

Do a search in Google photos for oil wells in downtown L.A. and you'll be amazed! Everyone knows the La Brea Tar Pits because they're promoted, but oil production in the area is forgotten All this is from memories of jumping on the Red Cars, riding down to Newport Beach with Grandma. Oh, the tar pits belong to L.A. County & City. The state has a tiny interest.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread