Selling Items on Facebook as a Business

paulb104

Feb 7, 2017
Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does anyone sell on Facebook?

I'm trying to help out a knowing-less-than-I-do family member who is wanting to sell antiques and such on Facebook as a business but it seems that there's no way to do that.

I created a new Facebook account, then created a business page for the antiques business, but I'm stuck in that I can't seem to find a way to add items to the marketplace as a business.

Here's what I've got so far https://www.facebook.com/GABantiqueshop.

Does anyone know anything about this?

13dolphins1

Gold Member
Jul 6, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does anyone sell on Facebook?

I'm trying to help out a knowing-less-than-I-do family member who is wanting to sell antiques and such on Facebook as a business but it seems that there's no way to do that.

I created a new Facebook account, then created a business page for the antiques business, but I'm stuck in that I can't seem to find a way to add items to the marketplace as a business.

Here's what I've got so far https://www.facebook.com/GABantiqueshop.

Does anyone know anything about this?

I opened up one awhile ago to sell on Marketplace and I had to request and get approved for an account. I did and never heard back. There are still alot of complaints from people who cannot post on Marketplace posted daily. I did join a county wide garage sale/selling community and that is where you send a request and gets approved by the people in the community in which case I was notified immediately.
My experience with Facebook is that they start something like Marketplace and they never really get it finished or running smoothly. So basically I have an account set up, request in for Marketplace and no response and it's been about 8 months. I can see my page but if I try and post I will get an error and nothing will be posted. Hope this helps.

OP
OP
paulb104

paulb104

Feb 7, 2017
Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So do you sell online elsewhere? I hate all the ebay fees, plus the stuff I have is so oddball that it could be months before the right person finds the item and wants it.

13dolphins1

Gold Member
Jul 6, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So do you sell online elsewhere? I hate all the ebay fees, plus the stuff I have is so oddball that it could be months before the right person finds the item and wants it.
I buy auctions. Online estate sales or Storage auctions and get bulk items. I love eBay because you can sell different items and for better money and faster. Do searches for your items and see where they are sold or listed on and research these sites as there are some good specialty sites that people will look for specific items on that can help move items faster. Etsy, Craigslist, Offer up are good and I've sold on these sites. Ebay can raise your selling point and I've sold some crazy items that I didnt think would sell and they sold fast at a higher price than I thought. I just sold a knife for 240.00 that I had no luck locally selling for 100.00. It was a West Germany odd rarer knife and it Easily covered the eBay fee. So odd ball items, to me move better on Ebay. Just my two cents.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On occasion I sell something on Ebay. Normally I'm lucky if I break even. I don't really do facebook.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have a page for my knife store on Facebook, but I'm not allowed to promote it because knives are lumped in with guns as "weapons." I use the Facebook page to send folks to my website. I use Ebay heavily, and I am a "Red Star" seller. I'm am also going to check out Etsy, and LetGo. Craigslist has never really worked for me, but I am starting to get a handle on Pintrest, and Instagram, as well as Twitter. :occasion14:

JoeInMO

Jan 12, 2019
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think many people even consider Facebook as a marketplace... you're severely limiting your exposure if you plan on that being anything more than a trivial part of your sales. eBay is still the leader by far for such things... like it or not. The next would be to get set up on the Amazon Affiliate program.

Best of luck,
-Joe

OP
OP
paulb104

paulb104

Feb 7, 2017
Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I so wish I could wrap my head around the Amazon Affiliate program. From an eight dollar ($8.00) public surplus auction, I have a variety of about a hundred and fifty brand new textbooks that are worth over thirty dollars each. Each. I know that selling through amazon.com is the right way to go, and not ebay, but I just can't get the time to figure out how to *do* amazon.com. I know there's a guy who buys foodstuffs at discount stores and sells them at amazon.com for huge profits, and that amazon pays for the shipping of said items from him to them, and I'd love to learn how that works, too.

OP
OP
paulb104

paulb104

Feb 7, 2017
Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think many people even consider Facebook as a marketplace...

See, here in our part of PA, there are a LOT of antiques being moves through facebook. We're near Adamstown, the Antique Capital of the World. If you went to the facebook page I shared you'll see two items there. While Terry has knives, and everyone who likes knives will look at his knives, the collection I'm working with is quite vast and very disparate. My goal is to get it in front of many different people as possible to increase it's visibility. Honestly, ebay isn't good enough. For instance, right now on my desk is a late 1800's medal from some obscure Archbishop, possibly from Sweden. Who's going to be looking for that medal? Almost nobody so the more places I can plaster a picture of it, the better.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread