I'm arachnophobic, so this scares the dickens out of me

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Huge spider drags opossum across Amazon rainforest floor in haunting footage

Pictures are on the website.....

https://www.foxnews.com/science/hug...s-amazon-rainforest-floor-in-haunting-footage

By Jennifer Earl | Fox News

A dinner plate-sized tarantula with a big appetite preyed on a young opossum during a recent hunt in the Amazon rainforest — and the horrifying encounter was caught on tape.

Biologists at the University of Michigan (U of M) studied rare predator-prey interactions, particularly between arthropods and small vertebrates, over the course of a few years in the lowland rainforest located near the Andes foothills. They detailed 15 different predation events in a paper published in "Amphibian & Reptile Conservation" on Thursday.

“This is an underappreciated source of mortality among vertebrates,” Daniel Rabosky, an evolutionary biologist at U of M who leads a team of researchers to the Amazon rainforest about once or twice a year, said in an online statement. “A surprising amount of death of small vertebrates in the Amazon is likely due to arthropods such as big spiders and centipedes.”

The Michigan researchers captured footage and still images of battles between spiders, snakes, scorpions, ants, beetles, water bugs, among others. Many predators relied on paralyzing venom to trap their meal, while others used their large jaws to their advantage.

Every interaction was brutal (in its own way), but none was perhaps as vicious as the late-night slaughter of a mouse opossum by a tarantula (theraphosid spider).

"The spider was on the ground in the leaf litter holding the opossum by the neck region," the researchers described in their paper, noting that the opossum — roughly the size of a softball — was still alive when they spotted the pair.

After about five minutes, the creature became motionless and the spider dragged it behind a tree root, disappearing into the darkness.

Upon reviewing footage of the rare occurrence, Robert Voss, a mammologist at the American Museum of Natural History confirmed that it appeared to be the first-ever documentation of "a large mygalomorph spider [tarantula] preying upon opossums," National Geographic reports.

"Tarantula predation on vertebrates is not a common thing, but it does happen. They are opportunistic feeders and they’ll take whatever they can subdue," arachnologist Rick West, who was not a part of the research group, told the magazine, adding that they typically feed on frogs.

The news came as a happy surprise to the researchers.

“We were pretty ecstatic and shocked, and we couldn’t really believe what we were seeing,” Michael Grundler, a Ph.D. student at U of M and contributing author, said in a statement. “We knew we were witnessing something pretty special, but we weren’t aware that it was the first observation until after the fact.”

During their expedition, the authors of the study had one goal in mind: to better understand the food web and the "pressures" impacting populations of small animals.

"Predation of small vertebrates by arthropods has been documented in several lowland rainforest sites, yet our knowledge of these interactions remains limited, especially given the diversity of vertebrate prey and potential arthropod predators in species-rich tropical communities," the researchers explained in their paper. "[...] Documenting predation by spiders and other arthropods in these ecosystems is essential even if many predaceous arthropods remain undescribed and are mostly classified as morphospecies, because they provide insights into an important source of vertebrate mortality that appears to be less common in extra-tropical communities."

OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Alas Red - I'd squeal like a little girl, soil myself, stroke out, etc.

Don't you be sending me any packages!!!

Grizz12

Dec 22, 2018
Alaska
Detector(s) used
Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats why I carry snake shot, to take care of things too big for the boots

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have an irrational fear of spiders. I think fear of that is perfectly rational.

holepuncher

Oct 5, 2014
Amboy Wa.
Detector(s) used
AT Pro. Equinox.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Guess you would have a coronary if you saw this one.

image002.jpg

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
Dont worry bud,my girlfriend is scared silly too by them.shes getting on first:laughing7:

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
But jeff a real one is so much better than your imaginary ones,:laughing7:Dont mess with her youll regret it lol.
IMG-20180726-WA0000.jpg

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ya that spider is too big for me....A while back my 3 year old Son came running up to me with his hand closed.."Here Dad!!" I opened my hand thinking it's a penny, toy, cereal or something like that...No! He dropped a spider in my hand....I think I did scream like a little girl! :laughing7: For one I wasn't expecting it. And I hate bigger spiders!!

Kace

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites Bullseye 2 Pointer, Audio 200 D Headphones,
Garrett AT MAX, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT, MS-3 Headphones,
Lesche Digger, Lesche Shovel, 4' T Handle Probe.
GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
Primary Interest:
Other
I hate those things...fascinating to watch them build their webs but that's it.

Is that soldier with the spider real or photoshopped? I hope it's fake.

Kace

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
Kace, google camel spider

Kace

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2017
Detector(s) used
GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
Primary Interest:
Other
Kace, google camel spider

Thanks GB....ANY Spider is Too Big For Me...I'd take a Snake Any Day over a Brown Recluse! lol!

Those are what's made me leary of spiders!!

Kace

Kace

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2017
Detector(s) used
GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
Primary Interest:
Other

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread