Im arachnophobic, so this scares the dickens out of me
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree49Likes

Thread: Im arachnophobic, so this scares the dickens out of me

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2013
    SW, VA - Bull Mountain
    CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
    18466 times
    Digging in the dirt & scooping in the water!

I'm arachnophobic, so this scares the dickens out of me

Huge spider drags opossum across Amazon rainforest floor in haunting footage

Pictures are on the website.....

https://www.foxnews.com/science/huge...unting-footage

By Jennifer Earl | Fox News

A dinner plate-sized tarantula with a big appetite preyed on a young opossum during a recent hunt in the Amazon rainforest — and the horrifying encounter was caught on tape.

Biologists at the University of Michigan (U of M) studied rare predator-prey interactions, particularly between arthropods and small vertebrates, over the course of a few years in the lowland rainforest located near the Andes foothills. They detailed 15 different predation events in a paper published in "Amphibian & Reptile Conservation" on Thursday.

“This is an underappreciated source of mortality among vertebrates,” Daniel Rabosky, an evolutionary biologist at U of M who leads a team of researchers to the Amazon rainforest about once or twice a year, said in an online statement. “A surprising amount of death of small vertebrates in the Amazon is likely due to arthropods such as big spiders and centipedes.”

The Michigan researchers captured footage and still images of battles between spiders, snakes, scorpions, ants, beetles, water bugs, among others. Many predators relied on paralyzing venom to trap their meal, while others used their large jaws to their advantage.

Every interaction was brutal (in its own way), but none was perhaps as vicious as the late-night slaughter of a mouse opossum by a tarantula (theraphosid spider).

"The spider was on the ground in the leaf litter holding the opossum by the neck region," the researchers described in their paper, noting that the opossum — roughly the size of a softball — was still alive when they spotted the pair.

After about five minutes, the creature became motionless and the spider dragged it behind a tree root, disappearing into the darkness.

Upon reviewing footage of the rare occurrence, Robert Voss, a mammologist at the American Museum of Natural History confirmed that it appeared to be the first-ever documentation of "a large mygalomorph spider [tarantula] preying upon opossums," National Geographic reports.

"Tarantula predation on vertebrates is not a common thing, but it does happen. They are opportunistic feeders and they’ll take whatever they can subdue," arachnologist Rick West, who was not a part of the research group, told the magazine, adding that they typically feed on frogs.

The news came as a happy surprise to the researchers.

“We were pretty ecstatic and shocked, and we couldn’t really believe what we were seeing,” Michael Grundler, a Ph.D. student at U of M and contributing author, said in a statement. “We knew we were witnessing something pretty special, but we weren’t aware that it was the first observation until after the fact.”

During their expedition, the authors of the study had one goal in mind: to better understand the food web and the "pressures" impacting populations of small animals.

"Predation of small vertebrates by arthropods has been documented in several lowland rainforest sites, yet our knowledge of these interactions remains limited, especially given the diversity of vertebrate prey and potential arthropod predators in species-rich tropical communities," the researchers explained in their paper. "[...] Documenting predation by spiders and other arthropods in these ecosystems is essential even if many predaceous arthropods remain undescribed and are mostly classified as morphospecies, because they provide insights into an important source of vertebrate mortality that appears to be less common in extra-tropical communities."
    Republic of Vietnam 10/69 - 3/71, Cambodia April 27, 1970 on a mountain top with HUGE scorpions

"'He jests at scars who never felt a wound'" c.s.lewis - 1940

The Ten Commandments: http://www.godstenlaws.com/ten-comma.../#.UdAz65yynZg

The Bill of Rights: http://billofrightsinstitute.org/fou...ill-of-rights/

The Constitution: http://www.archives.gov/exhibits/cha...ranscript.html

Charter Member
    us
    WolfPack member

Aug 2009
    New Hampshire
    Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
    7963 times
    The Truth
    Now i know what to get you for christmas.

Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2013
    SW, VA - Bull Mountain
    CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
    18466 times
    Digging in the dirt & scooping in the water!
    Alas Red - I'd squeal like a little girl, soil myself, stroke out, etc.

Don't you be sending me any packages!!!
    GB1, A2coins, Rebel - KGC and 2 others like this.
    Republic of Vietnam 10/69 - 3/71, Cambodia April 27, 1970 on a mountain top with HUGE scorpions

"'He jests at scars who never felt a wound'" c.s.lewis - 1940

The Ten Commandments: http://www.godstenlaws.com/ten-comma.../#.UdAz65yynZg

The Bill of Rights: http://billofrightsinstitute.org/fou...ill-of-rights/

The Constitution: http://www.archives.gov/exhibits/cha...ranscript.html

us
    Dec 2018
    Alaska
    Nox 800
    438 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Thats why I carry snake shot, to take care of things too big for the boots

Charter Member
    us
    Tommy

Dec 2015
    Ann Arbor
    Equinox 800
    32105 times
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    Creepy
    Rebel - KGC and Kace like this.

Approved TreasureNet Stickers

.:: $3.00 for 11" X 3" Bumper Sticker ::. I have 324 left PM me if you would like to buy any Tommy

(Free Shipping)

SEE: TreasureNet Bumper Stickers

Charter Member
    us
    papa

Feb 2017
    Georgetown, SC
    Fisher F75
    7734 times
    Metal Detecting
    I have an irrational fear of spiders. I think fear of that is perfectly rational.

"And so the population was gradually led into the demoralising temptations of arcades, baths, and sumptuous banquets. The unsuspecting Britons spoke of such novelties as 'civilisation', when in fact they were only a feature of their enslavement." Tacitus, Roman Senator and Historian, written AD 98.

Charter Member
    us
    An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Oct 2004
    N. San Diego area (Pic of my two best 'finds'; son and grandson)
    Minelab Explorer
    12931 times
    Shipwrecks
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    I was about to eat dinner; just changed my mind.
    Don....
    Kray Gelder, Rebel - KGC and Kace like this.

us
    Oct 2014
    Amboy Wa.
    AT Pro
    550 times
    Metal Detecting
    Guess you would have a coronary if you saw this one.

Name:  image002.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  9.6 KB

Charter Member
    us
    WolfPack member

Aug 2009
    New Hampshire
    7963 times
    The Truth
    Dont worry bud,my girlfriend is scared silly too by them.shes getting on first
    Kace likes this.

Dec 2012
    MXT-PRO Sandshark
    13428 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Red James Cash View Post
    Dont worry bud,my girlfriend is scared silly too by them.shes getting on first
    “Your” girlfriend! That’s a hoot, you with a girl
    Rebel - KGC likes this.
    I’m the only one of me, baby that’s the fun of me.. / brendon urie

DON’T TRUST WHITEY / Navin Johnson

EVERYTHINGS GONNA BE ALRIGHT, EVERYTHINGS GONNA BE OK.
    ITS GONNA BE A GOOD GOOD LIFE, THAT’S WHAT MY THERAPISTS SAY. / Bebe rexha

IF YOU’RE LOST AND ALONE, OR YOU’RE SINKING LIKE A STONE, CARRY ON / Fun

AND IN THE END THE LOVE YOU TAKE IS EQUAL TO THE LOVE YOU MAKE. - Paul mccartney

Jun 2007
    13901 times
    Blame it ALL on Edgar Allan Poe...

us
    Jan 2019
    New York
    31 times
    Cool... Too bad they didn't get the "kill shot".
    Rebel - KGC likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    WolfPack member

Aug 2009
    New Hampshire
    7963 times
    The Truth
    But jeff a real one is so much better than your imaginary ones,Dont mess with her youll regret it lol.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20180726-WA0000.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	154.1 KB 
ID:	1686208
    Kace likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    WP

Mar 2014
    Dallas,GA
    CZ6A
    6125 times
    Ya that spider is too big for me....A while back my 3 year old Son came running up to me with his hand closed.."Here Dad!!" I opened my hand thinking it's a penny, toy, cereal or something like that...No! He dropped a spider in my hand....I think I did scream like a little girl! For one I wasn't expecting it. And I hate bigger spiders!!
    Kace and Rebel - KGC like this.

us
    Kace

Aug 2017
    Whites DFX, Whites Bullseye 2 Pointer, Audio 200 D Headphones, Garrett AT MAX, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT, MS-3 Headphones, Lesche Digger, Lesche Shovel, 4' T Handle Probe. GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
    4604 times
    Metal Detecting, Relic and Artifact Hunting, Prohibition Era and Civil War Era Cache Hunting.
    I hate those things...fascinating to watch them build their webs but that's it.

Is that soldier with the spider real or photoshopped? I hope it's fake.

Kace
    Nitric and Rebel - KGC like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links