cats and mosquitos

BillA

Bronze Member
May 12, 2005
Drake, Costa Rica
I have an inside/outside cat who always has a mosquito buzzing about its head. (I live in the tropics with mosquitos large and small.)
Cat's ears will flick almost continuously keeping the hungry little buggers at bay.
Unfortunately I cannot flick my arms and legs the same way,
and waving my hands around does not keep the mosquitos at bay.

Is there a means of breaking the (apparently) symbiotic relationship ?

(could be a poem, will let slide)

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
I read a book called Rolling Thunder. It was about a man of the First Nation who was a medicine man/healer written by a non-native.
They were by a stream and mosquitoes were driving him nuts but Rolling Thunder wasn't being bothered. The book was intended to be just reportage and not analysis so we never discovered RT's secret. Maybe it was a poem or song RT used. He was said to hum at times.

Where I live, I haven't been bit in years. A little enclave of peace or more likely lack of targets. It's said the shorter the season the more aggressive they become but maybe there is a mental state one can achieve to create a cloaking state of sorts.

OP
OP
BillA

BillA

Bronze Member
May 12, 2005
Drake, Costa Rica
garlic seems highly recommended and I am most fond

the cat, gato, will NOT eat garlic

edit: I can make gato hum, but I have to keep petting him

Last edited:

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Been singing the praises of garlic for long time! I cut a clove into four slices and give it to my dogs with a dab of butter like a treat. I eat a clove every day and haven't had problems with bugs for years. Funny as hell seeing the other guys backlit with clouds of skeeters around their heads. Give this a try. Squish a slice and rub it on the back of the cats ears. With him flicking his ears spreading the oil smell it might give him some relief. Will he eat peanut butter or similar? Hand feed him small pieces covered in peanut butter or butter. On a comical note. Brute cologne is the best mosquito attractant known to man! Mad at someone? Put a little on their collar or around the top of their sleeping bag aanndd let the agony begin!!!

OP
OP
BillA

BillA

Bronze Member
May 12, 2005
Drake, Costa Rica
bm thanks for the garlic adaptation for gato, Rebel suggested it also for dogs but I do not have/permit dogs around (they chase the critters I like).

Brute Cologne eh? could that be why so many tourists have huge bite problems ? its their scenting stuff ?
very interesting line of inquiry

Hillbilly Prince

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2018
SW Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett All Terrain Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Alledgsdly, Apple cider vinegar is a good flea repellant for fleas. Might work for mosquitos but do not get it in eyes!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread