ONE IS NEVER TOO OLD TO LEARN SOMETHING NEW!

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other

Manure : In the 16th and 17th centuries, everything for export had to be transported by ship. It was also before the invention of commercial fertilizers, so large shipments of manure were quite common.
It was shipped dry, because in dry form it weighed a lot less than when wet, but once water (at sea) hit it, not only did it become heavier, but the process of fermentation began again, of which a by-product is methane gas. As the stuff was stored below decks in bundles you can see what could (and did) happen. Methane began to build up below decks and the first time someone came below at night with a lantern, BOOOOM!
Several ships were destroyed in this manner before it was determined just what was happening.
After that, the bundles of manure were always stamped with the instruction ' Stow high in transit ' on them, which meant for the sailors to stow it high enough off the lower decks so that any water that came into the hold would not touch this "volatile" cargo and start the production of methane.
Thus evolved the term ' S.H.I.T ' , (Stow High In Transit) ,.............
"So it's really not a swear word"which has come down through the centuries and is in use to this very day.
You probably did not know the true history of this word.
Neither did I.

GOD Bless

Chris

Hillbilly Prince

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2018
SW Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett All Terrain Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is fascinating. Just think how long it would take for information like this to be disseminated without the net.
Wonder if SHTF grew out of this also :p
Dried cow manure is infinitely preferable to fresh stuff.
Every year a few tourists are lost due to accidentally stepping into fresh cow pies and disappearing into the green depths.

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well, S.H.I.T., worldtalker, I had no idea. I'll have to use the term more freely. Thanks,

OP
OP
worldtalker

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
That is fascinating. Just think how long it would take for information like this to be disseminated without the net.
Wonder if SHTF grew out of this also :p
Dried cow manure is infinitely preferable to fresh stuff.
Every year a few tourists are lost due to accidentally stepping into fresh cow pies and disappearing into the green depths.

When I was 11 my brother bet me I wouldn't eat a nightcrawler from one of those meadow muffins..He lost.:laughing9:

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LMAO!!! Meadow muffin.... that is some gold right their!!!

Hillbilly Prince

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2018
SW Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett All Terrain Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I was 11 my brother bet me I wouldn't eat a nightcrawler from one of those meadow muffins..He lost.:laughing9:

Isn't a meadow muffin like horse apples? Cow pies can be huge but they are definitely pies.
Before I would eat a worm there would have to be something worthwhile on the line ;)

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nothing like stepping into a fresh Prairie Pizza!

OP
OP
worldtalker

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Isn't a meadow muffin like horse apples? Cow pies can be huge but they are definitely pies.
Before I would eat a worm there would have to be something worthwhile on the line ;)

Meadow muffin,pasture patty,cow pie S.H.I.T is S.H.I.T,including road apples..that's S.H.I.T. too.
laughing021.gif

Hillbilly Prince

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2018
SW Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett All Terrain Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Buffalo chips? Think it was called that. Burning them for fuel was a thing.
Wait...how do you explain sheeee-it?

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's sometimes useful???
[emoji1]

Sent from my VS810PP using Tapatalk