jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Same here in Arkansas . . . except you can read the news, you just can't read the obituaries. Now I gotta pay to make sure I'm not in there!

Yea I Can read who Died & The First Paragraph or so, But I Gotta Pay to read the Full Obits.

There are also a few strange News, National News & North of Me News Stories I Can Open.

But My Particular County News they want me to Pay for.

https://www.republicanherald.com/

There has been another site Started, That Copies Some of their Stories
And give them for Free

https://www.skooknews.com/search/label/Police Log

But how long till They Decide they wanna Get Rich Too, I Don't know

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My neighborhood has more critters than needed. The bald eagles have moved in, red tailed hawks are noisy, deer everywhere, beavers, raccoons, skunks, squirrels, rabbits, all kinds of birds, reptiles and amphibians, a few coyotes, the bobcat that sits on my next door neighbor's back porch, yeah go figure, the cougar now most of us have seen in the last 12 months, foxes, and a block away a black bear a couple weeks ago! And this is the outer suburbs!

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
My brother stepped out of the shower a few years ago, heard a thump, and turned to see a huge timber rattler in the tub. Likely came in and got on the shower rod.
We got him out and he was turned lose out of town.
Problem for a lot of online papers is the free content to be found. Trying to stay afloat is not greedy in my opinion. Taking advantage of people who need something or a service is my idea of greed. The market generally does sort things out.

I love snake stories . . . I'll share one of my experiences.

I used to sell furniture off the back of a pickup truck, then collect payments from the customers over the following months. Lots of fun, and a few interesting tales. Favorite one was when I had to be at a certain house at lunch time so I could pick up Ella's monthly payment. She came back from "chopping cotton" as usual, carrying her hoe into the house. I was on the porch waiting like she asked while she went inside to retrieve her money.

It was dark because most of the porch was enclosed with tin and plywood pieces. Suddenly there was a lot of noise coming from inside the house and I was afraid her husband may have caught her getting money from her stash. One of the most important things I learned doing that job is that there is no such thing as a woman who has absolutely no money because they all squirrel some away for emergencies. Anyhow, I was about to see if she needed any help when the front door flew open and I saw her pointing what looked like a 12 guage shotgun at me. She yelled, "GET OFF THE PORCH!" All I could say was, "Yes Ma'am!" as I navigated the steps backwards. I kept backing up towards my truck.

After she was satisfied I was far enough away, she came out the house and then out the door of the porch. What had looked like a shotgun barrel was actually the handle of her hoe --- Hmm, no hole in the end of the barrel should have been a clue. Draped over the barrel was a BIG rattlesnake --- the cause of all the commotion I had heard.

She later told me that she had reached up into the attic over her kitchen table to retrieve her stash when she instead pulled down this big old snake. The racket I had heard was her beating it to death and chopping it up with her freshly sharpened hoe.

Hillbilly Prince

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2018
SW Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett All Terrain Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love snake stories . . . I'll share one of my experiences.

I used to sell furniture off the back of a pickup truck, then collect payments from the customers over the following months. Lots of fun, and a few interesting tales. Favorite one was when I had to be at a certain house at lunch time so I could pick up Ella's monthly payment. She came back from "chopping cotton" as usual, carrying her hoe into the house. I was on the porch waiting like she asked while she went inside to retrieve her money.

It was dark because most of the porch was enclosed with tin and plywood pieces. Suddenly there was a lot of noise coming from inside the house and I was afraid her husband may have caught her getting money from her stash. One of the most important things I learned doing that job is that there is no such thing as a woman who has absolutely no money because they all squirrel some away for emergencies. Anyhow, I was about to see if she needed any help when the front door flew open and I saw her pointing what looked like a 12 guage shotgun at me. She yelled, "GET OFF THE PORCH!" All I could say was, "Yes Ma'am!" as I navigated the steps backwards. I kept backing up towards my truck.

After she was satisfied I was far enough away, she came out the house and then out the door of the porch. What had looked like a shotgun barrel was actually the handle of her hoe --- Hmm, no hole in the end of the barrel should have been a clue. Draped over the barrel was a BIG rattlesnake --- the cause of all the commotion I had heard.

She later told me that she had reached up into the attic over her kitchen table to retrieve her stash when she instead pulled down this big old snake. The racket I had heard was her beating it to death and chopping it up with her freshly sharpened hoe.

That is a great story :) Did this happen in Arkansas? Sounds so Arkansas\Missouri. My mom was born in Northern Arkansas and those old homes were easy for snakes to get in. One time a big old black snake dropped on their kitchen table.
Biggest snake I ever caught was a six foot black snake hanging around our well house. Those snakes are pretty docile but they would wrap around your arm carrying them around. I always let snakes be.
When I was a kid we lived near Rabbit Ears pass in Colorado. We walked to Michigan river outside town and caught seven garter snakes and brought them to our trailer house. I can't remember what our plan was-maybe pets? Anyway, they all got out overnight and vanished. My mom put up with a lot :D

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
My mom was born in Northern Arkansas and those old homes were easy for snakes to get in. One time a big old black snake dropped on their kitchen table.

LOL!!! but glad it wasn't me.

Yep, happened right at the city limits of Montrose, Arkansas. The last town in Ashley County heading east on US 82. It's just a couple hundred yards before you hit the Chicot County line --- and can legally buy beer.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread