What is it like living in Georgia during the summer months?

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
There is something that you can do that will give you a pretty good idea. First, go into the bathroom and cut the shower on with the hottest water that your water heater will allow. Shower thoroughly. Upon completion of you shower, turn the water off and exit the shower. Do not towel dry off, but get completely dressed, and there you have it. This is what it's like living in Georgia during the summer months.:mad:

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's funny! I can relate. That's just inside the house, if you step outside, then you add the flying predators.

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I start sweating from the front door to the truck here in Louisiana. Brake tag IMG_3110.jpg IMG_2887.jpg

ROIGuy

Jun 9, 2019
Palos Park, IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600/ Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was sightseeing in south of Spain a couple of years back in the blistering heat there. I remember walking through the towns hour after hour and at the end of the day trying to buy some Desitin baby rash creme so I could rub it on the areas where the leg joins the crotch.. Heat rash I think its called... must be a similar phenomena in Georgia :laughing9:

Arthur-Dent

Banned
Jul 26, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try Michigan during the summer. When you can see the moisture in the air..:laughing9:
Georgia sounds good though.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A few days a year Maryland gets like that. I think we only have a few more chances this year. My mom grew up in Louisiana, and I gotta tell you, those steambaths were interesting.

SvenS

Oct 13, 2008
Ontario
Detector(s) used
Nokta/Makro products, as well as others. Self built Mirage PI's. The Mirage is excellent in trashy sites, unlike many PI's.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For those in the north, on a really hot summer day with a blaring sun, a shopping malls asphalt parking lot, you open your cars door after sitting there for 4 hours. Now get inside and close the door for 5 minutes. Now add some high humidity. Lived in the Atlanta area for 5 years. Step outside an air conditioned building, and its like a wall of super hot air you just plowed into, you instantly slow down, when the air is thick and humid, not nice. Noticed when down there on any given day, many people are not native Georgians, these people are out doing lawn work very early, after it gets hot they go inside. Could look like uninhabited subdivisionson the weekends even during the weekday. Do a google map search and see how many homes have a pool in the backyards...LOL

Last edited:

Flipperfla

Dec 2, 2018
Fl.
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cookin in Fl. Temp is under a “shade tree” Top number...outside. Bottom left.....inside our camper van with the air on. Bottom right humidity inside...... 90 outside. Now dump a bucket of hot water over your head! We were out in the boat yesterday and the water temp was 95.4 on my finder. B4DDD770-659C-4E20-9E1D-CC6951ED5FBB.jpeg

Last edited:

smallfoot

Bronze Member
May 29, 2019
Flawda
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And that's just our 3 days of winter....

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Try Michigan during the summer. When you can see the moisture in the air..:laughing9:
Georgia sounds good though.

I don't think it's quite the same. In Louisiana (where I'm from) it kinda feels like you're trying to breathe water because the humidity is so high. Hot is hot, but when the humidity stays about 98 - 100% for days on end, it's rough --- especially on us fat boys.

I just always got a kick out of how the radio stations in New Orleans (in the 1970's) would announce the temperature as "88 degrees" while I'm outside painting. I look over at the thermometer and it would say 102 - 103. I knew then something was wonky on the weather scene. Remember, this is back when they were telling us we were all going to freeze to death because another ice age was coming.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My grandmother lived in Metairie. I visited my first cousin a few years ago. It hasn't changed. And those Gulf Coast thunderstorms, especially the Florida ones, are straight from hell.

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
My grandmother lived in Metairie. I visited my first cousin a few years ago. It hasn't changed. And those Gulf Coast thunderstorms, especially the Florida ones, are straight from hell.

I know a bit about old Metry (dad drove for Metry Cab, my mom was a dispatcher back in 1956 --- and that's how you guys got stuck with me!). Most of my folks used to live between the 17th Street Canal (same one that broke during Katrina, but on the other side) and the Do Drive in.

That part of Metry used to be a big hog farm at one time, so it's only fitting that you sweat like a pig there in the summertime.

Last edited:

Flipperfla

Dec 2, 2018
Fl.
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Today is hotter than yesterday! My Wife went to get her lipstick out of her purse, it melted! LOL

Arthur-Dent

Banned
Jul 26, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Shadow, that humidity level is Brutal! Typically we are about 80-85% humidity during our summer months.
That's one thing about Michigan, we don't really have spring and fall.. doesn't seem that way.
We can be in the 80's in mid-late September and by the third week of October it is snowing lol.
Spring is kinda the same, cold-lukewarm-blazing Hell within about 5 weeks lol

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I live in Arkansas now. It's 10:40. Temp is 83, humidity is 91%. That means the heat index (or as the guy at the radio station says "misery index" is 93 degrees. Might be down to 90 by midnight.

RustyRelics

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2019
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600/Ancient Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
When I move, it's going to be either South Carolina, Georgia, Alabama, or Mississippi. I HATE winter!

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I know a bit about old Metry (dad drove for Metry Cab, my mom was a dispatcher back in 1956 --- and that's how you guys got stuck with me!). Most of my folks used to live between the 17th Street Canal (same one that broke during Katrina, but on the other side) and the Do Drive in.

That part of Metry used to be a big hog farm at one time, so it's only fitting that you sweat like a pig there in the summertime.

It’s still known as Hog’s Alley

Last edited:

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

That part of Metry used to be a big hog farm at one time, so it's only fitting that you sweat like a pig there in the summertime.[/QUOT[emoji241][emoji241][emoji241]

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread