THE Random Chat Thread - AKA "The RCT" - No shirt or shoes required - Open 24 / 7

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Half hour before sunrise/I'm thinking daybreak actually the chorus of shotguns going off to take Daffy/Daisy Duck out-the official kick off to hunting season has commenced once again.
Try to get a contractor now is bad enough-there's no chance if they suffer from duck/buck/moose fever. Though this happens every year and the locals know it full well when hiring a contractor.
First question: Do you hunt?:laughing7:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
(Psst. Bill/ Pepperj, what would be a banner find from Canada? Asking for a friend)
Well WD, I realize that you’ve heard from Bill, Jim and Cru regarding your question, but I just thought I’d add my two-cents worth. Like everyone else on Tnet, I’ve been trying figure this out since the day I joined and I’ve only been successful once so far. Although, I found Cru’s response to be very interesting, “You need an outstanding historic (but many expensive beach finds as well) piece with a good story & good picture. Eye appeal helps. Likes help. Views helps. If I vote on it it helps...lol (I kid but does seem to be a trend, although now I say it, it will kill it).”

I’ve always felt that if I could find a spectacular War of 1812 relic or possibly Native American related that would make it. Last summer, I found a beautiful horse rosette, hand decorated with a Native American buffalo hunt scene. As far as I know, it didn’t receive one BANNER vote. Next time I make a find that I feel might be BANNER worthy, I’ll send pics to Cru to see what my chances are. :laughing7:

WD,
A few items that come to mind would be fur trade silver, early colonial era coinage such as Spanish, French and British, early military items. As you'd imagine civil war items would be rare north of the border, however, some have been found.
I completely agree with you Bill, anything related to the earliest settlement of both of our countries has a shot. :thumbsup:

The banner, the banner, one could be banned for ever getting a banner for saying I think it's a banner, my banner find.

SAY WHAT!

I think it has to do with what is rare in the area that one digs in. I dug a GW button down the road from me-rare indeed-possibly a first in Canada. Didn't make it.

Dug a 1858 20 cent piece in a heavy ploughed field-won the best find of the month on another forum-won numerous prizes at the club meeting. One member said it was the holy grail of finds up here.

Probably can mirror a number of finds that have made it up, but not even bothered posting them as either I've been too busy, or off line at the time.

Having not made it up there I guess I shouldn't be saying anything really about what is or isn't.

Example I found a near AU 1858 little nickel (Fishscale) I called the Mrs and left a message. Every time she wanted a little feel good moment she would replay the message back.
Her version " The excitement that you had in your voice-made me feel so good, that I go there, just to get a lift"
So what makes it for me-might not make it for another-what makes it special-is what it does for the finder.
When Jim found he GW Button a few years ago I thought it had a real shot at making the BANNER, especially considering how many US-found GW buttons make the BANNER… alas it wasn’t to be. :sadsmiley:

At the risk of getting “booed,” it is my opinion that (cough cough) very rarely are there banner votes for anything other than American finds. I can’t speak for anyone, but myself. In my case it’s pure ignorance about all treasure in general. But, some of the Europeans find some extremely old coinage and for the life of me, I don’t understand why they don’t get banner for it.

I hope I am not opening a can of worms.
I have to agree with your statement above WD, but then again, I’m also thinking the majority of members here on Tnet are American.
I don’t think it’s a matter of the members only voting for American finds, I just think the US members are very passionate about US history and tend to vote more with their hearts then their heads. :icon_scratch:

Firstly welcome all, just joined.
I dont think its possible to predict what will make banner. Since the new owners I get the impression they consider them less often (not so fast moving), maybe they have a monthly banner mtg. No idea.
But to answer your question, I don't see much unfairness from US to Canada. You need an outstanding historic (but many expensive beach finds as well) piece with a good story & good picture. Eye appeal helps. Likes help. Views helps.
If I vote on it it helps...lol (I kid but does seem to be a trend, although now I say it, it will kill it)
It's basically a mystery to me, I had a few slip through the net last year, because I'm sure I will now need a hoard as the bar has been raised.
I try not to let it bother me, including the injustices I see on others or it will drive you mad & get you banned. I could go on but enough for now.
Welcome to the thread Cru. :wave:
I for one, always enjoy reading your posts, in fact I enjoy reading posts from any experienced detectorist… especially my good friend pepperj.
Hope we see you and your Dad on here again soon.

x10, wait x20 wait-you mean Dave in digging togs-you don't know our Dave. We'z goes out a digging-me'z "pigpen" Mr GQ not iff of dust pr dirt. I bloody don't know how he does it.
Well I brought him to a sticky clay field once, his soles of the rubby boots got muddy.
No the man could change them boots, the belt, takes of the knee pads-ready for a dinner out.
I just don't
Oh buddy, sometimes you make me laugh so hard I accidentally tinkle. :o
I’m just trying to lead by example, in case I’m approached by a ‘newbie’ detectorist in the field.
Not everyone looks as good as you do with dirt on your knees my friend. :laughing7:

Attachments

• 20190804_193350.jpg
    20190804_193350.jpg
    720.7 KB · Views: 15
  • 20190807_162842.jpg
    20190807_162842.jpg
    491.4 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Morning everyone. :hello:

I'm off to do the Saturday chores, hope you all have a good day.

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ahoy!? Cap'n!?? May I has a moment?

Is the reason that ye don't palaver abouts me "out like a Cap'n" blights, cuz ya doesn't likes 'em? Or cuz I doesn'ts play the mornin'/g'night John boy games?

Makins me feel a bit unwanted sir.

I kin stops 'em if'n deys come a bit nuisancy...if'n ye gets me drift?

(OOOOOPS!!! NOW I'LL PROBABLY GET SET ADRIFT TOO!!! :eek: )
:icon_salut:

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used