THE Random Chat Thread - AKA "The RCT" - No shirt or shoes required - Open 24 / 7

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Morning Dave

Did you get out for a little hunting yesterday after the skies cleared?
It was drizzling here until the late afternoon off and on, I had the slickers on working in the patch.

Last edited:

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Morning AARC, pepperj and Dave

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
OP
OP
ARC

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well my fellows...

I have to admit... I think our area dodged a bullet... overall flooding seemed to be biggest thing and no reports of major problems... I think this is mainly due to preparedness on he part of counties and state level with regards to runoff's and storm water system upgrades.

Seems that the pumps and overall system upgrades really helped our areas in greatest need.

This is the first time we have got a direct push / brush in 100 years... well 99 anyway.

1921 was the last time we got hit... and was catastrophic.

Back then... no one lived here though except spongers and fruit people.

Whats weird is... this storms track is almost identical to that storms track... went through the keys

OP
OP
ARC

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This... would be "worst case scenario" for our area.

Hurricane_Phoenix_path_fix_1.jpg

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Good morning Jim, morning Rook. :wave:

Glad to hear that you weathered the storm ARC. :thumbsup:
Towns don't plan to fail, they fail to plan... especially when it comes to flooding.

The City of Toronto was hit by Hurricane Hazel in 1954.
The city made some major changes to how stormwater runs off after this event.

"The effects of Hurricane Hazel in Canada included 81 deaths and C$137,552,400 ($1,299,967,047 in 2018) in damages. Hazel, the deadliest and costliest storm of the 1954 Atlantic hurricane season, reached Toronto, Ontario by the evening of October 15, 1954. It peaked as a category 4 storm, but by the time it reached Canada, it was an extratropical category 1 storm after merging with an existing cold front south of Ontario. Due to an area of high pressure to the north-east, Hazel stalled over Toronto and lost most of its moisture. The situation was exacerbated by the lack of preparedness and awareness. Torontonians did not have prior experience with hurricanes, and the storm as whole proved to be extremely unpredictable—even the arrival of Hazel came as a surprise. Also, the low-lying areas near the Humber were mostly residential, which were among the worst-affected during the storm. In fact, following Hazel, residential development in areas along Toronto waterways was prohibited, and they became parks instead. To help with the cleanup, the army was summoned. Due to the destruction in Canada, as well as the United States and Haiti, the name Hazel was retired, and will never again be used for an Atlantic hurricane. Since it was retired before the creation of formal lists, it was not replaced with any particular name."

We are going to visit my sis in law today. She’s been sick for a long time. The covid thing has kept us away. A couple weeks ago they finally diagnosed her with cancer. They think they can get it. She will be under going the Whipple procedure. All of this being said, she has changed her mind and wants a visit. I went through my mom’s jewelry and pulled out my sister-in-laws birthstones. I will be giving her a necklace, earrings, bracelet and ring, all emerald. I hope she likes them. [emoji3059]

That was very decent thing for you to do for your sister-in-law WD, sounds like you and your husband had a nice dinner too. :icon_thumright:

We got our first moisture in a while and it made the berry planting very boot sticky today.
I ran full out for 6 hrs and got 90 raspberry plants in today and I legs are kind of burning now from digging in the heavy earth.

Back to fencing again tomorrow I hear, we got 22 poles in yesterday so that leaves 1 anchor post to do.
Then it will be straightening up the whole thing and then driving in the 48 12 ft T Bars in between the cedar posts.

Man, there’s certainly no time to rest at your place is there Jim, will the work ever really be completed?
As I like to tell my wife when she asks, "why do you get up so early"... "honey, I'll get all the sleep I need when I'm dead." :laughing7:

Good morning fellas. Today is the day we beat the Germans in the Great War! To celebrate, I'll be getting a War-Era haircut today. (coincidence)

So how did the haircut turn out Ethan?
Have you been able to speak to the young lady you had lined up in your sights a few weeks ago? :icon_scratch:

Last edited:

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I thought this pic might make more sense to you than it does to me ARC.

"Hurricane Hazel, shown making landfall in the Carolinas, quickly went north and stalled over Toronto as a result of merging with a slow cold front and an area of high pressure to the northeast that produced torrential rains on the city."

Attachments

• Hazel.gif
    Hazel.gif
    109.9 KB · Views: 19
OP
OP
ARC

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like you made it through the storm ARC, any damage or flooding at your place?

Well I have not been outside yet... still dark... I know our road does flood bad at one end... but the other end is always clear so its not like we get locked in.

Morning BTW.

Last edited:

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Morning Dave

Did you get out for a little hunting yesterday after the skies cleared?
It was drizzling here until the late afternoon off and on, I had the slickers on working in the patch.

Hi Jim,
It stopped raining here during the night, we didn't get much maybe a few millimetres.

I did get back to a site I've hit a few times already this year, made some eyeball finds, but nothing to write home about. :laughing7:
Tomorrow I want to head back to 'the drone site', I think this site is worth at least one more go before the snow arrives in a few weeks.
There are some interesting 'dark areas' on this Google Earth map I want to investigate.

How about yourself, any plans to swing this weekend, it's been another long hard work week for you and you deserve a break. :thumbsup:

Attachments

• Screenshot_2020-10-25 Google Earth(1).png
    Screenshot_2020-10-25 Google Earth(1).png
    595.8 KB · Views: 22

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Dave I am sure you probably have lost count on how many time the DVP has been sitting under water on the bottom end over the past years.
Even the lakeshore has seen its share of flooding.
The Big Smoke has done great things since Hazel went through (not referring the the mayor :laughing7:) but it sure needs to get the Keating channel mess cleaned up-the brain fart of engineering.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hi Jim,
It stopped raining here during the night, we didn't get much maybe a few millimetres.

I did get back to a site I've hit a few times already this year, made some eyeball finds, but nothing to write home about. :laughing7:
Tomorrow I want to head back to 'the drone site', I think this site is worth at least one more go before the snow arrives in a few weeks.
There are some interesting 'dark areas' on this Google Earth map I want to investigate.

How about yourself, any plans to swing this weekend, it's been another long hard work week for you and you deserve a break. :thumbsup:

The detector is in the closet at the moment Dave-the survey transit has taken it's place in the back seat of the truck, (Heavy heart feeling)

The berry patch has to be done as the days are short and the chores are long-not that I crave a break-try to justify one-but the sailing isn't clear yet.

Discovered that the nursery has done some compensating by adding a few more canes to the raspberry order-like 25%. That comes with a NICE-and a oh frig. as I really rather dig a hole detecting.

So with the impending doom of weather reports I will carry on-as long as it stays on the drier side I will get a few hunts in before it freezes up.

OP
OP
ARC

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If any of you scallywags think I "overreact" to some of this storm stuff...

"Tampa bay region among the top five places in the U.S. most vulnerable to a hurricane (Miami and Key West were the top two). Last year the Washington Post named the Tampa Bay area as "the most vulnerable in the United States to flooding and damage if a major hurricane ever scores a direct hit." The story noted that a World Bank study "called Tampa Bay one of the 10 most at-risk areas on the globe."

OP
OP
ARC

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

"Tampa bay region among the top five places in the U.S. most vulnerable to a hurricane (Miami and Key West were the top two). Last year the Washington Post named the Tampa Bay area as "the most vulnerable in the United States to flooding and damage if a major hurricane ever scores a direct hit." The story noted that a World Bank study "called Tampa Bay one of the 10 most at-risk areas on the globe."

And I will go on record by stating this...

I DO NOT agree with this assessment.

I will absolutely say that our area is 3 times more vulnerable than BOTH the Keys AND Miami... COMBINED !

I think our area IS THE most vulnerable area in the entire State...AND possibly the entire U.S.

Nothing... and I repeat nothing... "they"... whoever the hell "they" are...

Could change my opinion on this.

Last edited:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Water is so beautiful to be on, near, looking atlas it has a real calming factor to folks.
But when one lives in an area where the land mass above the water can be counted on fingers and toes-I do the math-and I go nice place to visit-but.......
The multitude of rentals that we enjoyed on AMI that had or should of had break-away-first floor says a lot in planning or the future event.
You were lucky this time around ARC.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
And I will go on record by stating this...

I DO NOT agree with this assessment.

I will absolutely say that our area is 3 times more vulnerable than BOTH the Keys AND Miami... COMBINED !

I think our area IS THE most vulnerable area in the entire State...AND possibly the entire U.S.

We have spent $ thousands and that's not an exaggeration on water mitigation for the yard and house-and I live close to 40ft above the bay.

We even put a catch basin in that = what the city puts in for urban development.

The biggest threat now to us is wind and fire-living around so many trees it's just a matter of time before one bites back.
Like the limb that fell off a leg pine tree last winter-10"x 35ft right over the new roof of the garage-the hole in the roof will push the claim damage to around $30K. Still in talks with the insurance company-due to COVID-:BangHead:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Dave looking at the image of the dark areas and the light straight lines-I'm going to say tiles.

It shows wet-which is dark-the light line is where the farmer has ran the tile-so the image shows dry. (Left side arrow)

Now if it was a nice dark square-I'd be on that site like a dog on a bone.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions