THE Random Chat Thread - AKA "The RCT" - No shirt or shoes required - Open 24 / 7

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Good evening fellas.

First off, I';d like to apologize for not posting pictures sooner. I had my eyes dialated by an eye doc, and for two days my vision was so bright and blurred, I couldn't find the keys to type. Anyways, here are the only two finds at the house site worth mentioning.

View attachment 1895744

The penny is in rough shape, but I'm still proud of it. It's my first Indian Head! 1904 is also a harder date to find. We also found some junk there that I still have to clean up.

Tomorrow (I promise) I'll post pictures of a box I got from a new friend. Aircraft crash parts (crew names are known!) a piece of an SS dog tag, a rare piece of trench art, a communist sporting banner, an East German border police cuff title, a U.S. Navy aviators med kit, and Luftwaffe belt links found on the Gumrak Airfield, Stalingrad.

So recently, I have decided that I would proudly wear stuff from Nine Line Apparel and Grunt Style, both Veteran owned. Their stuff always has a forward facing American flag, and I bought three hoodies from them that I wear all the time: R.E.D., an American flag Apache drop line, and a 76' flag. Usually I complement each one with a grey American flag hat, or a Come and Take it cannon flag hat. Sounds innocent enough, right? So far, I have been screamed at, accosted, stared at, kicked out of stores and grimaced at. I LOVE this kind of stuff, it only gets my blood boiling, and makes me just keep at it. So today, I wore my favorite hoodie, my Come and Take it Hat, a BDU Camo face mask, and sunglasses. There were people clearing the aisles, lol! They probably thought I was one of those capitol protesters, ha ha! Some of the chicks seemed to dig it though, so it wasn't all that bad.:icon_thumright:

On a different note, I do not have to have eye surgery for now. For those of you who don't know, I have cataracts, and I can't see nuthin' without glasses. So far, doc sawbones says I'm good, so I won't worry about it or now.

Now I gotta go clean up my brothers room, it looks like an FAA investigation site with all of the aircraft pieces, lol! :laughing7:

Nice finds RR
IHP’s minted from 1859- 1909.

RustyRelics

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2019
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600/Ancient Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Magnet doesn't do anything to the penny. Some of the soil around here attacks older metals, and leaves other metals pristine. It attacked this one for some reason or another. I don't know why.

OH! I can't believe I forgot to mention this. So last summer, I found a brass toe plate that I guessed was from around the early 1900s in my front yard. I tossed it onto my relic shelf, and never gave it a second look. Well three days ago, I picked it up to clean the dirt off of it, and lo and behold, there is a date on it! 1856!

So I present to you, a mystery. In one 30x30 foot section of my front yard, I have found a Civil War bullet and scabbard tip, two 1850s toe plates, numerous square nails, solid iron plates, and pieces of pontiled bottle when I dig signals up. I have not found anything like this outside of this small area. So what the heck was there?

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Lot of times a finds area of an old homestead will be that small.
Could of been just the footprint of the actual house, or front yard

Could even be fill brought in to make the present front yard.

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Rusty,

Yep like Jim said sometimes hard to piece together how or why finds show up at a certain location.

A few years ago I found a PEI coin from the 1860's down only a couple of inches. This park was a swampy area and was loaded with fill from a nearby dug out road that was getting redone. Odds are that area was once farmland but just an educated guess on my part.

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Magnet doesn't do anything to the penny. Some of the soil around here attacks older metals, and leaves other metals pristine. It attacked this one for some reason or another. I don't know why.

OH! I can't believe I forgot to mention this. So last summer, I found a brass toe plate that I guessed was from around the early 1900s in my front yard. I tossed it onto my relic shelf, and never gave it a second look. Well three days ago, I picked it up to clean the dirt off of it, and lo and behold, there is a date on it! 1856!

So I present to you, a mystery. In one 30x30 foot section of my front yard, I have found a Civil War bullet and scabbard tip, two 1850s toe plates, numerous square nails, solid iron plates, and pieces of pontiled bottle when I dig signals up. I have not found anything like this outside of this small area. So what the heck was there?

Maybe an old garden? That was filled in? This ties into my last post on Today's Finds. :)

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
Great score on the Indian, Rusty! And all the other history you collected. You are awfully young for cataracts! We will have to monitor each other and see who gets surgery first. I was told to pay attention to blue stuff. Apparently that color fades with cataracts.

RustyRelics

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2019
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great score on the Indian, Rusty! And all the other history you collected. You are awfully young for cataracts! We will have to monitor each other and see who gets surgery first. I was told to pay attention to blue stuff. Apparently that color fades with cataracts.

I'v had them since birth. My parents found out I needed glasses when i was three, and couldn't tell who people were from 20 feet away.

RustyRelics

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2019
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
tomorrow I will detect across the street for the first time, hit the relic square and then perhaps walk around the woods for a bit.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread