THE Random Chat Thread - AKA "The RCT" - No shirt or shoes required - Open 24 / 7

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yeah, but what the heck is two-hundred-twenty-nine-thousand, four-hundred and eighty-eight hundred thousandths of a grain and can you find that measurement on your balance beam scale?

I just wonder how the Spainards did it. They obviously had a standard, and most likely the allowable deviation was a pretty low amount above the standard because silver is expensive. The United States of America used the Spanish dollar as the standard for our dollar, so the Spainard's standard must have been very accurate. So what was their standard?

Start taking the thousands/hundreds/tens off any number and you will have in accurate number down the road.

Shaving/clipping it did't matter what the angle was the trimmers of any PM (precious metal) was evident in society. So the weigh was the only way.

The Spaniards standard? I think they were a tad behind the Celtics in accuracy as they were perfecting in 50/60 BC. So it took another 500-700 yrs to have perfection?e

Take away the decimal point and round it off-some have taken that thousands and made millions. It happened when a couple of traders took the thousands and rounded the trade to the lesser amount...worked great as no one noticed until there was millions missing in the general ledgers of the stock exchange.

A piece of flour gold on it's own is really hard to weigh-though a little sack-now we have $$$.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Other than detecting on the weekends, all I’ve ever wanted to do is work. So, traveling every week across Canada and the US is what I’ve always done and will continue to do until I’m forced into retirement. I have no plans to retire, so as long as my health permits, I’ll work until I’m 70.

You'd get along great with a sibling of mine. :laughing7:

"Not going to collect my CPP until I turn 75"

Now left me-and a decade later still doing the :icon_scratch:.

Life expectancy is 68 with our medical issues.

So I guess he'll take it with him if the math works out correctly.

If the desire to work is the reason to get out of bed in the morning, and keeps you on this side of the grass-then it's probably a good thing to be doing.

Seen it too many times in life the clock punchers stop punching and are gone a few short years later-that's not even a whisper of enjoyment for the retirement years.

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
20210220_100327.jpg I have not taken a pic of the reeded security edge on the pillar dollars but it was the biggest advancement in coinage of the time....if you were to scrape the edges of the coin it would be noticeable, so by phasing out the cobbs in 32-33 the practice of shaving the cobbs was eliminated. You can see in my pic how easy it would be to shave and clip cobbs. Imagine any honest tavern keeper handling 100 cobbs a day....if he shaves a small pile of shavings off each cobb.....well at the end of the day he has a nice little pile of silver shavings for his pocket. Now tmes that by 365 days and this shop keeper may have a nice little sand cast tombaga bar for himself.....a nice tax free profit to be smuggled home on the next galleon to Spain !! A 4 year tour in the new world may amass a small fortune in shaved silver and gold to be smuggled home !! Dont underestimate the spaniard....he knew how to cheat, steal,smuggle and kill better than anyone of the time. I know of one wreck where part of the ballast stones were Mexican fire opal smuggled home with the ordinary ballast !!

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Morning crew folks

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Along the same lines.In the wild west days(in gold towns) bars would hire the biggest bartenders they could find.Because a drink was paid for with a pinch of gold :)

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello rook good morning !!

Noah_D

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2017
Illinois (prev. NE Ohio)
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+, Garrett ACE 300, Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Morning all! It's a crispy 0 F (thats -18 C for the Canadians) here this morning. Very crispy... but it's already up to 4 F! :laughing7:

Attachments

• 65AC6EC3-0BC8-44B4-AF85-9C8B6A344103.jpeg
    65AC6EC3-0BC8-44B4-AF85-9C8B6A344103.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 17

Noah_D

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2017
Illinois (prev. NE Ohio)
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Noah your making me want to go on a hunt up there. I like staying at the driftwood Inn. It was expensive though.....we moved down the beach to the reef ocean resort....it was more affordable, and basically only a block away from each other. I could walk right to Riomar Beach, one of the wrecks is there .many great finds have been made there.
You should! Maybe you, Pete, and I could do a group hunt if you come up while I'm down there.

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You should! Maybe you, Pete, and I could do a group hunt if you come up while I'm down there.

Come up while I'm down.....:dontknow: :tongue3:

Lol

But, you remind me of a thought I've struggled with over the years.

I had a partner I used to walk with for many years. But, he passed back a few years. I miss him and those wonderful times of sharing hunts, finds, jokes, pranks, situations.

Now, even with the new "partner" I walk with, I find my depression cropping up out there, more and more.

HE ...understands, of course. But, Johnny Cash said it best. "Flesh & blood needs flesh & blood".

I've tried to "meet up when down there" several times. Even walked/waded with a few T-netters. Only 3 made any effort to become "friends". As that was my real goal. The rest were just trying to find my "hot spots". (One...a "club member" from when I even tried joining a club....started trying to tail my hunts to see where I was really hunting!)

My point? If I ever had one? :icon_scratch:

I guess it's about "meeting up". It should be one of the more pleasant parts of our chosen hobby. But it goes against everything "gold fever" stands for...:dontknow:

Its funny, but I've always asked everybody who I've hunted with a question: "If I'm on a walk with you on one of your areas and I happened to find a 20 dollar gold piece. Would you rather I told you or just hold it and announce I found it somewhere else?"

I haven't received a good answer to it yet. Each would be ecstatic for me....but....unsure they'd like that I found *their* gold piece on *their* spot that they've hunted for years!

Sorry for the length of this...guess my depression has caused diarrhea of the keyboard....Againe!

Just seems that my meager efforts at trying to "meet up" feels like just wasted efforts. I mean...I've tried all I know. I even showered!!! Still....one meet...two...maybe three...then, if I don't say anything......nothing. Do I have to do all the work? *ALL* the time!??

No response necessary but feel free to comment.

In any case, Happy hunting out there...when you can. I'm just very appreciative of this site! I can at least share my joy at finding something....with *SOMEBODY*!!

xaos

Bronze Member
Jul 3, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After watch "The Curse.." now adding subtitles....

On using subtitles...

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other

Lol

I had a partner I used to walk with for many years. But, he passed back a few years. I miss him and those wonderful times of sharing hunts, finds, jokes, pranks, situations.

Now, even with the new "partner" I walk with, I find my depression cropping up out there, more and more.

HE ...understands, of course. But, Johnny Cash said it best. "Flesh & blood needs flesh & blood".

I've tried to "meet up when down there" several times. Even walked/waded with a few T-netters. Only 3 made any effort to become "friends". As that was my real goal. The rest were just trying to find my "hot spots". (One...a "club member" from when I even tried joining a club....started trying to tail my hunts to see where I was really hunting!)

I guess it's about "meeting up". It should be one of the more pleasant parts of our chosen hobby. But it goes against everything "gold fever" stands for...:dontknow:

Its funny, but I've always asked everybody who I've hunted with a question: "If I'm on a walk with you on one of your areas and I happened to find a 20 dollar gold piece. Would you rather I told you or just hold it and announce I found it somewhere else?"

I haven't received a good answer to it yet. Each would be ecstatic for me....but....unsure they'd like that I found *their* gold piece on *their* spot that they've hunted for years!

Sorry for the length of this...guess my depression has caused diarrhea of the keyboard....Againe!

Just seems that my meager efforts at trying to "meet up" feels like just wasted efforts. I mean...I've tried all I know. I even showered!!! Still....one meet...two...maybe three...then, if I don't say anything......nothing. Do I have to do all the work? *ALL* the time!??

In any case, Happy hunting out there...when you can. I'm just very appreciative of this site! I can at least share my joy at finding something....with *SOMEBODY*!!

Took a friends Dad detecting at a common park. Nothing risked by his returning should he be so inspired.
He's not the type to though . Rather reclusive vs. being visible in public long.
He learned a bit about his detector though and that went far at his old homestead.
I declined hunting it with him , but he did offer.

Other folks I've met from T-Net we met up on a non detecting site. No conflict that way.
Florida or the keys? Heck , point me at a beach that can be detected and I'd be fine.
Might even turn on the detector...
But treasure hunters want to sniff out treasure. And some unscrupulous might be more than happy to put your knowledge and sites to use.
Good luck pore-screening. Easier to keep off your hot leads and sites while with them....
Others are more solitary in nature when detecting. For varied reasons.

I've not tried to start a detecting club.
It would seem a way to interact with other detectorists on neutral/lower value sites to detect. Not tempting folks to jump in on a serious lead you're working.

If we have to push/work to get a relationship going , we're fighting it.
Meet enough folks to find a degree of compatibility.
There's groups of people around. Find one that is involved in a similar interest or goal.
A historical society peaks some of my interests. But I've not followed an Uncles involvement.
It did affect some leads that came up.
And he contributed some recoveries too.
Multiple things came of his involvement. Including writing a history of a county I have a copy of somewhere.
He's the one that got us started detecting in the late sixties.
In multiple counties , when I 'd come up with a historic spot to detect , 9 out of 10 times or more , he'd been there.....L.o.l..
He could wear his communications company i.d. tag and go about anywhere too...
I learned that finding sites that have not been detecting are not as easy as it first appeared, that's for sure.

Where you gonna detect this spring you have not detected before? Don't answer. But scheme. A small handfull of leads accumulated and researched over the winter...

xaos

Bronze Member
Jul 3, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wonder what was typed in on the search bar?????

khnvofqacoi61.jpg

She seems very happy though....:icon_thumright:

Last edited:

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wonder what was typed in on the search bar?????

She seems very happy though....:icon_thumright:

I'd hate to think!

"Diver Carries No Cash" ....eh?

Just gold & silver huh. :tongue3:

Last edited:

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Pretty hard to beat a good Caesar's salad.
One of the other guys whipped up a traditional Caesar's salad and I did garlic sauteed mushrooms. You can imagine the air reeked of garlic

Agreed. You can't get good caesar dressing from a bottle, you have to make it fresh from scratch. It's not difficult. I learned how to make it tableside when I worked at an Italian restaurant way back in my teens. I still make it when I get a request.

By the way, bass love garlic scent. I spray it on all of my plastic worms, it makes bass hold onto them longer.

Noah_D

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2017
Illinois (prev. NE Ohio)
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Lol

I've never met up with another TNetter so I just thought it could be fun but I s'pose you've got a good point Whadi.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I've never met up with another TNetter so I just thought it could be fun but I s'pose you've got a good point Whadi.
Just a bunch of dodgy pirates all of them I hear. :laughing7:

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I've never met up with another TNetter so I just thought it could be fun.

Come to the picnic and you'll meet plenty of us. And bring MsBeeps with you, I want to meet her.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...I heard my name mentioned... Didn't tell 'em I drank the rum again did ya? Whew!

Hello all you pirates and piratesss..sss.
Long week of swimming, finally caught up wit'd ship!

Congrats Bart on your phenomenal finds, awesome!
WHADIFIND, congrats on your silver also, and braving the cold frozen tundra to get it!

I see there were more gold nuggets found, nice RTR!

WD I sees ya found one of those elusive c19 vaccines for your dad, well done!

Its been a revolving door of family here this week, week, one had an ER visit, back home now. Just been one keelhaul'n after another, ya just keeps a sail'n.

Anti, that company wasn't worthy of you. I hope one of the others is a better fit & work environment for you.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread