THE Random Chat Thread - AKA "The RCT" - No shirt or shoes required - Open 24 / 7

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good thing I don't live in Fl. or... I would weigh 1,000 pounds.....Steamed with Beer,seasoned with old-bay,and cayenne,parsley.
Steam 3 minutes and >> 003.JPG 004.JPG 007.JPG

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tonight taking the easy way out for supper cheating and having a frozen pizza. They're a bit sketchy on cheese so grated up an extra cup for good measure.

Roasted up some red peppers so we'll have those on the side with maybe some cucumber and an orange.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh yum! The crew is making dinner!

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
trapped on the earthly plane of causation
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just wonder how the Spainards did it. They obviously had a standard, and most likely the allowable deviation was a pretty low amount above the standard because silver is expensive. The United States of America used the Spanish dollar as the standard for our dollar, so the Spainard's standard must have been very accurate. So what was their standard?

If you don't know you don't have to answer....

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
trapped on the earthly plane of causation
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe I did not phrase the question correctly.

By "standard", I mean what makes the Spanish dollar "regular". As in what is the Spanish dollar regulated by?

For instance- the meter is regulated by the distance an object falls in a vacume in one second, this being precisely ten meters. A gram is regulated by the weight of one cubic centimeter volume of distilled water, this being precisely one gram, and a liter is a cubic decimeter or 1000 grams water.

Maybe the Spanish dollar was regulated by the weight of the queen of England's toe nail clippings collected for one year, I don't know. But there must have been a standard to keep all the Spanish dollars stamped out regular size or weight.

So what was it? I'm sure it wasn't as clever as the metric system, using constants such as gravity or specific volumes of water, but their must have been some kind of standard.

Edited to add-

Darn it! I was wrong about the meter, all the television satellite cable signals messing up my memory of high-shcool physics class with something else. The meter is based on one millionth of the distance from North Pole to South Pole.

Pfffft! My idea was better.... : )

Last edited:

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Maybe I did not phrase the question correctly.

By "standard", I mean what makes the Spanish dollar "regular". As in what is the Spanish dollar regulated by?

For instance- the meter is regulated by the distance an object falls in a vacume in one second, this being precisely ten meters. A gram is regulated by the weight of one cubic centimeter volume of distilled water, this being precisely one gram, and a liter is a cubic decimeter or 1000 grams water.

Maybe the Spanish dollar was regulated by the weight of the queen of England's toe nail clippings collected for one year, I don't know. But there must have been a standard to keep all the Spanish dollars stamped out regular size or weight.

So what was it? I'm sure it wasn't as clever as the metric system, using constants such as gravity or specific volumes of water, but their must have been some kind of standard.

Edited to add-

Darn it! I was wrong about the meter, all the television satellite cable signals messing up my memory of high-shcool physics class with something else. The meter is based on one millionth of the distance from North Pole to South Pole.

Pfffft! My idea was better.... : )

Here's a weight mention.
[The mint operated as a contract service for merchants who needed coinage. To pay for the operation several fees were collected from each person requesting coinage from the mint. What would happen is that a merchant would come to the mint and purchase silver bars at the foundry. One could also bring personally owned silver for refining. However, a fee of two reales was charged to assay each ten marks of silver (there were 67 reales to the mark), to determine if it was the proper fineness. If the silver was not pure enough a further fee was charged to take out impurities. Once the silver had been accepted the merchant was then required to pay fees of two reales (that is, 68 maravedíes) for each mark of silver they wanted turned into coins. Fees went to the treasurer (22 maravedíes), the assayer (5 maravedíes), the die sinker (5 maravedíes), the scribe or secretary (1 maravedí), for two guards (a total of 2 maravedíes), the weigh master (1 maravedí), the coiners (8 maravedíes), the foremen (24 maravedíes) and for overhead (4 maravedíes). The silver was then taken to the an area where it would be rolled into strips. Again the silver was assayed (the 5 maravedíes assay charge mentioned above) and then cut into round planchets. The planchets were then weighed to insure they were on average the correct weight. After an annealing process the planchets were placed between two dies and hammer struck to produce a coin.]

https://coins.nd.edu/ColCoin/ColCoinIntros/Sp-Silver.intro.html

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good stuff RC....I was about to transcribe some info from the book "funnel of gold" im glad you did and had some links....its a long paragraph or 2 about the minting process....basically the standards the coin weight.....each coin was weighed against the appropriate coin weight for the denomination. The planchet was clipped or shaved to match the coin weight as close as possible.....they were pretty darn close....within a couple grains. So the coin weights were the standard that all the mints adhered to. And only after the purity standards were met. Meeting the purity standards was a much more involved process than making weight. If the silver was not pure enough then the weight standard is thrown out of calibration also !! The Spaniards went to great lengths to get this all right. Leave a coin in the ground for 200, 300, or even 400 years and you will lose some weight through corrosion. So to have some of these coins come so close to weight....well thats great and speaks to the condition of the coins after 280+years in the sand. People often say that the coin is very corodded.....no they almost make weight which means they are not corroded they are poorly struck which is normal for these coins. They haven't lost detail from corrosion they just wernt struck well. Then along came the screw press and the pillar dollar....details were so good and weight was so consistent that it became the world standard....and was the first world wide currency, and the basis for the American dollar. The coin weights themselves make a rare and sought after relic also !!

Last edited:

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tell us about spanish coin standards cap....am I forgetting anything ??

OP
OP
ARC

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Um... well now...

Arrgg... hold that thought i must get coffeeeeeeee.... errrr..

I will point out on thing right off rip that most seem to over look....

Because cobs were "crude"... it was easy to "clip"... so they were clipped constantly... and why some wights on found are off... no one seems to ever consider this and i see true coins gets passed off by people as fakes alot... even here...hence the need for the Pillar... and why it came to be... cobs were out of necessity...

Errr... cooffffeee....bb

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

• Latest Discussions