THE Random Chat Thread - AKA "The RCT" - No shirt or shoes required - Open 24 / 7

OP
OP
ARC

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
ARC

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When it came down to it... The value of gold to silver was fixed at 11.5 to 1.

Silver HAD to be of .93 purity... with thefixed weight PER 8 reales of 27.47 grammes...

And gold 22 carats = .92 fineness... equaling the 8 would weigh 27.06 grammes... heh... respectively.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Welll actually... yes and no.

When it came to Spanish... 27.47 g coin my friend... FIXED weight.

Gold = 27.06 g FIXED.

There's that magic word "FIXED"

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
Good morning everyone.

Y'all may have noticed I have been absent for a while. I was out of power for 12 days, with harly any heat, water or light for that time. We had two ice storms roll through, each dropping 1/4 - 1/2 inch of ice on their way out. Trees are down everywhere, and ice covered everything for a while. We couldn't even leave our house, because the road was just a sheet of ice. A friend who tried leaving his home on an ATV flipped it on the ice, and ran over his legs, but somehow didn't hurt himself badly. Power crews came out last night and restored power, and you could hear cheering for a couple miles by everyone who got restored.

Most of the time it was mind numbingly boring, but I went and brought out all of my dads colonial coins, inspected them, and then went coin roll hunting and found some nice ones.

A silver war nickel, a super rare West Point mint quarter with the even rarer V75 Privy mark, and an "In God We Rust" quarter.

Good morning, Rusty. You have been missed. Glad to know you and your family are OK now. I don't understand the "In God We Rust" quarter. I see "Trust" on both. :dontknow:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
When it came down to it... The value of gold to silver was fixed at 11.5 to 1.

Silver HAD to be of .93 purity... with thefixed weight PER 8 reales of 27.47 grammes...

And gold 22 carats = .92 fineness... equaling the 8 would weigh 27.06 grammes... heh... respectively.

Oh how I wish it was that ratio today.
Current65.84
High124.10
Low62.82
Change-14.60 (-18.16%)

OP
OP
ARC

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you know why cobs etc had the assayers initials and mint marks on each coin ? ? ?

So that the coins could be traced back to each individual responsible for making it... for if there was a problem with the coin as to accuracy...it could be traced back and someone could be blamed for any inconsistencies.

SO... with that in mind... accuracy was assured... under threat of punishment.

Basically it was a "signing off" as to the coins work (weight and purity) being what it was supposed to be.

Last edited:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Bart what will it be?

• TimberKing Sawmills. ...
  • Wood-Mizer Sawmills. ...
  • Norwood Sawmills. ...
  • Hud-Son Sawmills. ...
  • Enercraft/Baker Sawmills.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Do you know why cobs etc had the assayers initials and mint marks on each coin ? ? ?

So that the coins could be traced back to each individual responsible for making it... for if there was a problem with the coin as to accuracy...it could be traced back and someone could be blamed for any inconsistencies.

SO... with that in mind... accuracy was assured... under threat of punishment.

Basically it was a "signing off" as to the coins work being what it was supposed to be.

So was that implemented after this happened? (Taken from Bart's link)

[FONT=&quot]The wide scope of territories in which they circulated helps to explain for example the long lasting consequences of the Potosi mint scandal of 1650-1652, where a long lasting fraud committed by mint officials spanning more than 20 years was uncovered. Culprits were given “exemplaryâ€� punishment – a long suffering and gruesome death –[/FONT]

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:headbang::laughing7: .....decisions...decisions ??

OP
OP
ARC

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So was that implemented after this happened? (Taken from Bart's link)

[FONT="]The wide scope of territories in which they circulated helps to explain for example the long lasting consequences of the Potosi mint scandal of 1650-1652, where a long lasting fraud committed by mint officials spanning more than 20 years was uncovered. Culprits were given “exemplaryâ€� punishment – a long suffering and gruesome death –[/FONT]

Actually this is and has been debatable... as of 2017 this opinion has been changed due a newly released thesis.

The timeline... anyway...

Basically the Potosi mint thing created a distrust... and even though the coins were still accepted in some parts... according to "bullion value"... not "face"... There was a "recall" on the coins and they were mostly re-melted.

And because of this... a serious and accurate method was implemented.

IOW... IF you find one of the "scandal coins"... it is special.

Last edited:

RustyRelics

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2019
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600/Ancient Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Good morning, Rusty. You have been missed. Glad to know you and your family are OK now. I don't understand the "In God We Rust" quarter. I see "Trust" on both. :dontknow:

The T can always be seen on these quarters, but it is in lower relief, or is really fizzy compared to the other letters. If I take a photo with some side lighting, it will become immediately apparent that the T almost seems filed down compared to the other letters.

OP
OP
ARC

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The T can always be seen on these quarters, but it is in lower relief, or is really fizzy compared to the other letters. If I take a photo with some side lighting, it will become immediately apparent that the T almost seems filed down compared to the other letters.

From Cobs to quarters.

heh

New book. :P

Um... you can have the quarters... for i know ZILCH about em. :)

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
20210222_082943.jpg

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Off to work....see ya peeps !!

OP
OP
ARC

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah baby !... SHINE ON you crazy Diamonds. :)

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Bart,

Good job on the clean ups. Like how there's still some toned sections around the details adds a nice touch!

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That is just sick Bart! (In an awesome way-I must say) :headbang:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions