THE Random Chat Thread - AKA "The RCT" - No shirt or shoes required - Open 24 / 7

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I dunno if my subscribing to get rich quick magazine is working...
A while back I sent in for "how to make easy money on things people discard everyday".
It was exciting! I then followed the instructions for how to cut a broom handle off and install a spike in the end.
I couldn't find a spike , so I duct taped a meat fork to it.
It looked pretty cool but then her royal indoors caught me , and disagreed with what I had done to the broom. That ended up costing me a new broom and immediately cut into potential profits.
Her demeanor did inspire me to not wait till the few feet of snow in the ditches melted and to get out and practice immediately. Fortunately it was a stout broom handle and she didn't break it on me. I wrestled it from her grasp on my way out the door and was off...

I got behind three other vehicles driving very slowly with thier occupants looking in the ditches. I knew they were competition (dang it!) because I could see spikes on the broom handles poking out thier windows.
There was a brief altercation when the glint of a Mylar balloon poked through the snow and it was mistaken for a beer can.
We all calmed down afterwards and apologized for our incivility. And we all shared a bottle of Bactine to treat our puncture wounds.. I did receive a couple compliments on the meat fork. Twice the holes was a novel idea I guess...
I stuck with it that day till I'd burned twenty bucks in gas. Plus the cost of the new broom I picked up before returning home....I guess I'll wait till the snow melts before trying again.

So anyways , in the last quarterly issue of get rich quick in the classifieds ,right below the add for how to make easy money off things people discard every day , was a cob detector for a hundred bucks!!!
Now I was fired up. (If Bart can do it , I could too. Especially with a dedicated detector for cobs!) How much competition would I have around here for cobs when everyone else is driving around with spiked broom handles?

The cob detector finally arrived. An amazing device . All kinds of buttons and knobs and long range and short range settings on a compact box attached to what looks a lot like , a broom handle.. (Without a spike or fork.)

I turned it on , pressed long range , and it dragged me a quarter mile to a famers corn crib....

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
It takes time a patience.
Remember wax on-wax off from the TV show.

When I get me knickers in a knot trying to hard to find it it's usually a not.
Then I stop and think about what,why, I am doing and it usually involves something that is not related to my enjoyment.
Alt/Control/delete.....Ah much better, beep beep going slower than a little turtle.
That's when I start digging the better stuff.

I like seeing everything from a days hunt. What is the person digging up. Not small then they're not even in the game. I see often just big, big items, quarter sized and larger.
Why-the faster one is swinging the less on the smalls.
Oh its a bad habit, like looking at the screen instead of listening.
Repeated site visits help, to take all options off the table and sticking to the one site. Left/right/back and forth til its quiet then if there is nothing in the keeper division. Then I will do the "Been there done that"
It's still a learning for me after being playing with the machines for over 50 yrs.
It's like driving past a school yard/church/park if I see it, then over the past 50 years many others have had the same thought.
I wish I had a machine of today growing up, then it would been even more awesome. Gone are the days of a multi member family hunts where getting under 10 silver you got the "You suck at detecting "Ribbing.

I was lurking over the thread about the "rant" video and all the comments. My mind keeps going to : the more expensive it is, the more bells and whistles to complicate my hobby life. I read the books, I have watched the videos, and to be honest, the biggest "Ah Ha" moment I got was from rook last year(or was it 2?). That's one thing I like about you guys on this thread, your ability and willingness to explain things in a layman's way. A lot of other people just go over my head. I now only have the ATMax to learn (I fried my Delta 4000). I have read a lot of bad reviews on it. Heck, I wouldn't know if it was messing up or not. I do feel that, even though I didn't find a whole lot last year, I found stuff I missed from the year before. I have 2 targets that have been haunting me all winter. I didn't dig them because it was too cold and I needed a real shovel and not my plug digger. But, I have used both detectors over those same spots year after year and notta until applying what rook taught me. So, I will apply your tips, Pepper. Swing slow and listen close. Come to think of it, rook told me to swing slow, too. Thank you. :notworthy:

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
For whatever reason , I run in jewelry node mostly for coins. Nickles ring up like lead for me..

I know this is a typo, LOL, but it was just one more little typo away from being hilarious! Ah, geesh, where's my mind today? :tongue3: :laughing9:

Last edited:

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
A while back I sent in for "how to make easy money on things people discard everyday".
It was exciting! I then followed the instructions for how to cut a broom handle off and install a spike in the end.
It looked pretty cool but then her royal indoors caught me , and disagreed with what I had done to the broom. That ended up costing me a new broom and immediately cut into potential profits.
Her demeanor did inspire me to not wait till the few feet of snow in the ditches melted and to get out and practice immediately. Fortunately it was a stout broom handle and she didn't break it on me. I wrestled it from her grasp on my way out the door and was off...

I got behind three other vehicles driving very slowly with thier occupants looking in the ditches. I knew they were competition (dang it!) because I could see spikes on the broom handles poking out thier windows.
There was a brief altercation when the glint of a Mylar balloon poked through the snow and it was mistaken for a beer can.
We all calmed down afterwards and apologized for our incivility. And we all shared a bottle of Bactine to treat our puncture wounds.. I did receive a couple compliments on the meat fork. Twice the holes was a novel idea I guess...
I stuck with it that day till I'd burned twenty bucks in gas. Plus the cost of the new broom I picked up before returning home....I guess I'll wait till the snow melts before trying again.

So anyways , in the last quarterly issue of get rich quick in the classifieds ,right below the add for how to make easy money off things people discard every day , was a cob detector for a hundred bucks!!!
Now I was fired up. (If Bart can do it , I could too. Especially with a dedicated detector for cobs!) How much competition would I have around here for cobs when everyone else is driving around with spiked broom handles?

The cob detector finally arrived. An amazing device . All kinds of buttons and knobs and long range and short range settings on a compact box attached to what looks a lot like , a broom handle.. (Without a spike or fork.)

I turned it on , pressed long range , and it dragged me a quarter mile to a famers corn crib....

Now that is funny!

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Bottle hunting was a spring ritual, and a great source of income. At 25cents a week allowance, and one could get 2 cents for a beer bottle return we were hunting hard.
Just a perspective on how much folks had the stubby between the legs while driving around.
We did a 5 mile stretch of the #1 Hwy over the period of a few months. 125 dozen beer bottles were cashed in, plus a $10 bill that was mouse eaten, but the bank replaced it.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
OK. Off to work. I am going to be late!

That's what happens when your ticking them off the calendar.
I sold had a 4 month stay on, contract. I worked full days for a few weeks, then after Xmas I asked if they cared if I did half days. No problem they said.
I was sitting reading the history, the Mrs asked if I was going to work.
Ya I'm doing half days now remember?
Well it's already 1pm.....
Oh crazy, I was late on the first day.
I lasted another 3 months
Then I said ,do you really need me here.
No
Bye

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Bottle hunting was a spring ritual, and a great source of income. At 25cents a week allowance, and one could get 2 cents for a beer bottle return we were hunting hard.
Just a perspective on how much folks had the stubby between the legs while driving around.
We did a 5 mile stretch of the #1 Hwy over the period of a few months. 125 dozen beer bottles were cashed in, plus a $10 bill that was mouse eaten, but the bank replaced it.

Before the bottle deposit law in this state there were some bottlers that refunded for bottles.
Us kids would pull a wagon and scrounge the ditches grabbing any intact bottles , and the store owner/baitshop on the lake would sort through them and pay us for the portion that were returnables.
(Same guy we sold nightcrawlers to for a penny a piece...)

One day I found a pie wedge shaped tupperware type container with pot and assorted paraphernalia in it. Roller,papers,pipe,roach clip,smoke ,the whole ball of wax as if someone was hiding or discarding an entire collection.
Gave it to Dad , who later said he gave it to a friend to dispose of.

Quite an assortment of finds/recoveries, surprises over the years along the roads. Not all good...
A favorite remains a Borsalino style wool hat, I call my "highway hat" as it was along a highway .
It was about day three before I could tell what it was on the way by and stopped to nab it.

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Rusty,

Any old general stores, post offices, picnic groves, etc in your area or sports fields. You need areas where lots of people congregated to get the goodies.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Rusty,

Any old general stores, post offices, picnic groves, etc in your area or sports fields. You need areas where lots of people congregated to get the goodies.

And in remote areas , where folks stopped or camped where good water existed.
Back when horses were used , water mattered. Shade in summer too!

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Before the bottle deposit law in this state there were some bottlers that refunded for bottles.
Us kids would pull a wagon and scrounge the ditches grabbing any intact bottles , and the store owner/baitshop on the lake would sort through them and pay us for the portion that were returnables.
(Same guy we sold nightcrawlers to for a penny a piece...)

One day I found a pie wedge shaped tupperware type container with pot and assorted paraphernalia in it. Roller,papers,pipe,roach clip,smoke ,the whole ball of wax as if someone was hiding or discarding an entire collection.
Gave it to Dad , who later said he gave it to a friend to dispose of.

Quite an assortment of finds/recoveries, surprises over the years along the roads. Not all good...
A favorite remains a Borsalino style wool hat, I call my "highway hat" as it was along a highway .
It was about day three before I could tell what it was on the way by and stopped to nab it.

I retrieved a new Toronto Maple Leafs Ball Cap from the road one day. Now this has been sitting in the shop for 10yrs now, I won't want to insult the squirrels wearing it out detecting even.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Rusty,

Probably as any Province/state the landscapes were littered with cheese factories, I have yet to find one coin at any location I've hunted. The odds would be in one's favour but....

Noah_D

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2017
Illinois (prev. NE Ohio)
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+, Garrett ACE 300, Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I retrieved a new Toronto Maple Leafs Ball Cap from the road one day. Now this has been sitting in the shop for 10yrs now, I won't want to insult the squirrels wearing it out detecting even.
Up here in NE Ohio (by Lake Erie and a number of smaller inland lakes) the most common roadside find is lifejackets... along with license plates. I've got boxes full of license plates of various states and provinces, a good portion of which were found alongside the road!

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Up here in NE Ohio (by Lake Erie and a number of smaller inland lakes) the most common roadside find is lifejackets... along with license plates. I've got boxes full of license plates of various states and provinces, a good portion of which were found alongside the road!

That's like the 6 mile washboard dirt road to the Stickmarsh boat ramp. You can find enough parts along that road to build a boat trailer.

Noah_D

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2017
Illinois (prev. NE Ohio)
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+, Garrett ACE 300, Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's like the 6 mile washboard dirt road to the Stickmarsh boat ramp. You can find enough parts along that road to build a boat trailer.
Heh, I know someone who recently found a whole capsized boat while out on the Lake. He could have legally taken it but it was getting lake and because of the weather could've easily ended up the same... reported it to the CG and left it.

RustyRelics

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2019
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600/Ancient Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You know, that's a good idea. I usually hunt in all metal mode. Mayhaps we should both give the coin mode a try this year?

It will be a learning curve for me, but I think it may be profitable. I have only found two nickels in five years of detecting, and it's because it sounds like aluminum on all metal mode. I'm getting much better at picking out the sounds and VDI readings on all metal mode, but perhaps coin mode will be different.

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Rusty,

One issue with going in coin mode regardless of machine is masking or cancelling/nulling out. In relic mode you're pretty much hearing all the signals of targets under the coil.

In the case of coin mode the lower conductivity items will be knocked out....but say there's a hunk of rusted iron next to a coin odds are the machine will knock out both signals since you've knocked out the iron signals.

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions