THE Random Chat Thread - AKA "The RCT" - No shirt or shoes required - Open 24 / 7

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
1640736052841.png

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Lol this guy was doing hard-core drugs. I don't take kindly too that especially when on my walks I've been spotting heroine needles
It's just part of life, never want to see it in one's own backyard so to speak.
I think the worse hard-core person I can upon was in Houston TX.
At the end of university Ave the tracks ran along these warehouses.
I would shortcut it through on my way back from my job ticket.

I could hear music playing and there's this dude leaning back on this huge ghetto blaster.

It stopped me in my tracks and I couldn't believe this dude's high.
He two cans of white enamel spray paint, one can was done, the other he was spraying it straight into his mouth.
The paint was running out his nostrils.
He looked up, offered me a hit and I just said "I'm good-thanks"
He nodded and sprayed another hit.
I had watched many do the veins and that wouldn't phase me a bit.
But that dude rented some serious real estate in the mind.

JVA5th

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2014
Merced, CA
Detector(s) used
Deus 2, Deus XP, AT Pro, Whites TRX pinpointer, Sampson Ground Shark shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's just part of life, never want to see it in one's own backyard so to speak.
I think the worse hard-core person I can upon was in Houston TX.
At the end of university Ave the tracks ran along these warehouses.
I would shortcut it through on my way back from my job ticket.

I could hear music playing and there's this dude leaning back on this huge ghetto blaster.

It stopped me in my tracks and I couldn't believe this dude's high.
He two cans of white enamel spray paint, one can was done, the other he was spraying it straight into his mouth.
The paint was running out his nostrils.
He looked up, offered me a hit and I just said "I'm good-thanks"
He nodded and sprayed another hit.
I had watched many do the veins and that wouldn't phase me a bit.
But that dude rented some serious real estate in the mind.
Yeah that's a little much, said person must have completely scrambled their brain.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yeah that's a little much, said person must have completely scrambled their brain.
He was the watchman for the warehouses. Found out later when I commented on it to a buddy at the diner down the street.
To think how much abuse a body and mind can take, before it breaks is actually pretty amazing.

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well beings I dont use detectors with screens and numbers... :/

I have owned and used them... but even then i never paid attention to screens on em.

I will be of no help to your question. :)
Everybody who detects can be of help. Regardless of machine or philosophy of "dig 'em all" or not. For, my question is more generic. I'm curious about whether the ground I'm detecting is more or less mineralized than what others' grounds are and whether they find it any more difficult than I do.

We all say we found something "deep". The question is....what is meant by "deep". Also, what part of depth is limited due to mineralization. One thing I've been noticing is that, on average, my normal depth of finds, is between 3 to 5 inches. Of course I find deeper but only occasionally.

I hear of others averaging much deeper and wonder what's affecting depth. Especially, with people who are using the same equipment I do.

Thanks for the feedback.

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And if I may piggy back with a question, what do those numbers mean? I have noticed at the farm, my numbers are in 72-77 range. I will try to pay more attention to that when I am in different places.
They are supposed to represent how much iron mineralization is in the soil. The detector's circuits are trying to eliminate soil/background noise from targets. A fairly futile effort *BUT* ....that "intelligence" is what one is paying for, to simply ignore the effort ....(at least all the time)....isn't very "smart". After all, the simplest detectors will have "intelligence" that tells you there is a piece of metal below. We trust that part and dig.

I figure this way. I have less time in my future nowadays. When I go for a walk, sometimes, I just don't want it to be like I'm just going to work. I don't want to dig every single target *every* time I go! Sometimes I do. Just not *every* walk!

The science of metal detecting has become fascinating! A really good discriminating detector can be a good thing! Why else spend all that money if what is desired is just tell me there's metal in the ground? Might as well buy a bulldozer and a sieve.

My initial question is just about what levels of mineralization, with which, other parts of the country are dealing?

I tried an experiment last time out. I actually tried to understand and *use* some of the technology I bought!

I set my machine to the custom mode and eliminated iron to 35. (It goes up to about 45). Then I auto ground balanced to about 92 making as sure as I could, that there were no metal targets where I was balancing first. Then, I chose from the four main frequencies that the detector has, to find the one with the least interference.

The machine was a dream to use! It stayed as quiet as it could and yet hit on targets like a gold earring at about 8 inches! Nickles at about 10!
I also rebalanced the machine every few minutes and was surprised to see how the mineralization changed so much in just short distances! When I was unsure of a target? I flipped it over to the "iron audio"....and then?? I dug it anyway!! I found the iron audio circuit to be about 90 percent accurate!

The only way to be sure? Use all metal mode and dig *EVERYTHING*! But that....is too much like work! I'm retired.

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So that helped? Hmmmm I got lucky.

You are very welcome. Pirates got watch each other’s back. ☠️
especially when they're just plundering other's permissions.

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just find it interesting Jim how the vaccination effectiveness changes with the passing of each day. After already having had covid, I'm resolved to the fact that no matter how many vaccinations we get, the odds are that we're all going to get this virus and it's going to be with us for years to come. :icon_scratch:
The vac doesn't prevent coming in contact. It, (supposedly), just tries to teach the body how to fight it. Hopefully, to keep it from being life threatening. Did you need a hospital?

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Everybody who detects can be of help. Regardless of machine or philosophy of "dig 'em all" or not. For, my question is more generic. I'm curious about whether the ground I'm detecting is more or less mineralized than what others' grounds are and whether they find it any more difficult than I do.

We all say we found something "deep". The question is....what is meant by "deep". Also, what part of depth is limited due to mineralization. One thing I've been noticing is that, on average, my normal depth of finds, is between 3 to 5 inches. Of course I find deeper but only occasionally.

I hear of others averaging much deeper and wonder what's affecting depth. Especially, with people who are using the same equipment I do.

Thanks for the feedback.
WIF
I read years ago the average depth is 6”. I think it’s less than that. You look at soil types and all the different things that can make a target be shallow or deep.

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The vac doesn't prevent coming in contact. It, (supposedly), just tries to teach the body how to fight it. Hopefully, to keep it from being life threatening. Did you need a hospital?
Good morning Whadi, I caught the Delta variant after a trip to my US office in September. I had a virtual consult online with my doctor, I got a PCR Test, I was then told to isolate for 14 days. To me it felt like a very bad head cold, my wife's symptoms were more severe though. My asthma flared up and I lost my sense of taste and smell for two months. But we both recovered after 5 - 7 days without any needing any medical attention.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread